Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking sound

Old 08-27-2018, 10:39 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Squeaking sound

My 2012.5 991CS has a squeaking sound coming from the driver side dash area behind the steering wheel. I have the electrically operated steering wheel, power up/down in/out. I have tried playing with the control but that doesn't help. Any one have this problem?
Old 08-28-2018, 12:20 AM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can not reproduce or attenuate the squeak by pushing on panels around the steering column/dash/footwell there is a good chance it is from the gas tank pads. There is a technical service bulletin (#1403) about this and new felt and foam is put around the tank. I had a similar squeak and had the fix done at the dealer and it did the trick. It sounds like a mouse or like styrofoam and may vary with the fuel load and with temperature. I had to tell the dealer about this service bulletin (thanks to rennlist!). They wanted to try all kinds of other things first.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:29 AM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mymac
My 2012.5 991CS has a squeaking sound coming from the driver side dash area behind the steering wheel. I have the electrically operated steering wheel, power up/down in/out. I have tried playing with the control but that doesn't help. Any one have this problem?
Try this, pop up the frunk. Get inside and try to simulate the conditions of driving by making the shock bounce up and down using your body weight. Turns out my driver "dash squeak" came from the top rubber portion of the front shocks/struts rubbing against the medal support near the frunk area. I sprayed some silicone spray in there and boom no more squeaks. For about 4 months it drove me nuts! Now I'm in love with my car again.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:46 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the replies. SMZ, what you describe sounds about right, to bad I'm out of warranty. Might just have to live with it
Old 08-29-2018, 12:52 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by SMZ
If you can not reproduce or attenuate the squeak by pushing on panels around the steering column/dash/footwell there is a good chance it is from the gas tank pads. There is a technical service bulletin (#1403) about this and new felt and foam is put around the tank. I had a similar squeak and had the fix done at the dealer and it did the trick. It sounds like a mouse or like styrofoam and may vary with the fuel load and with temperature. I had to tell the dealer about this service bulletin (thanks to rennlist!). They wanted to try all kinds of other things first.
Thank you! Mine is doing exactly what you describe. I'll try to have that tackled when they replace my warped door cards
Old 09-22-2018, 06:49 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SMZ

Had same issue.
Full fuel tank. Warmer temps. A bumpy road to "break it loose". Then it's a miserable squeaking that goes on no matter what road you drive on.

It fixes itself with less fuel and a chance to sit.

Dealer confirmed and is fixing. I sent my service guy the YouTube video below b/c this is what mine sounded like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z26lIDxDhOY&feature=youtu.be

Then we had unexpectedly warm weather and they filled up the tank and went driving and I lucked out because they heard it too.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Had same issue.
Full fuel tank. Warmer temps. A bumpy road to "break it loose". Then it's a miserable squeaking that goes on no matter what road you drive on.

It fixes itself with less fuel and a chance to sit.

Dealer confirmed and is fixing. I sent my service guy the YouTube video below b/c this is what mine sounded like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z26l...ature=youtu.be

Then we had unexpectedly warm weather and they filled up the tank and went driving and I lucked out because they heard it too.
OMG, thank you so much for posting this video! I have read many threads on this infamous tank pad issue, and that’s exactly what mine sounds like! I had no idea it sounded so much like interior trim! I’ve been living with this for two years since I bought the car. Been gummy pfledging the seals, pushing on trim, etc. Can’t believe all along it was tank pads?!

What is the best way to get the problem to rear it’s head?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2018, 11:29 PM
crossbow
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my squeak fixed last month. New tank pads and a combination bolt through the dash did the trick.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

OMG, thank you so much for posting this video! I have read many threads on this infamous tank pad issue, and that’s exactly what mine sounds like! I had no idea it sounded so much like interior trim! I’ve been living with this for two years since I bought the car. Been gummy pfledging the seals, pushing on trim, etc. Can’t believe all along it was tank pads?!

What is the best way to get the problem to rear it’s head?

Thanks!

I was able to get some great videos of the noise, and my dealer confirmed it was the tank pads. Just picked up this morning and oh, it's so nice and quiet!

Best way to describe the sound is a squeaking like two pieces of Styrofoam rubbing on each other. Comes and goes. The video above is great! Sounded to me like it was coming from behind the vent to the left of the steering wheel.

Thank you for posting this thread OP!!
Old 07-04-2019, 05:25 PM
dermot
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I was able to get some great videos of the noise, and my dealer confirmed it was the tank pads. Just picked up this morning and oh, it's so nice and quiet!

Best way to describe the sound is a squeaking like two pieces of Styrofoam rubbing on each other. Comes and goes. The video above is great! Sounded to me like it was coming from behind the vent to the left of the steering wheel.

Thank you for posting this thread OP!!

How do the dealers treat this issue, if the car is out of warranty is it down to the owner or is it a design /safety defect and Porsche picks up the cost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking sound