Sponsored by:

MMC quoted me $2860 to replace 4 tires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by blurum

Sean B. is indeed a good honest service writer. Total car guy and knows Porsche products real well. Also modded his own Boxster. I think Macan sales have impacted most dealers with workloads and mechanics are rushed everywhere impacting quality of work. For now I stick with Porsche of Huntington because of Sean. But everything dealer will have issues. People will make mistakes. How minor and how dealer makes the customer whole from them for the customer is also key. What I can’t tolerate are liars.
so a guy like Sean is refreshing in this industry .

Agree, Sean is a good guy!
Old 09-16-2018, 10:12 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Personally, could not stop laughing at the Nitrogen Tire Service for $179,
Being a retired snowbird, I'm here to say that both my 'local' Porsche dealers quit offering Nitrogen service. Dry air is 82% and does not have the temperature - pressure problem. Water in the air does. Dealers and tire shops need to use desiccant-dried air, especially in humid weather. Desiccant canisters are inexpensive can be repeatedly dried again and again as they absorb water. There are desiccants that turn from blue to pink, for those who are clueless, or don't want to make a small investment in their compressed air equipment, or simply love "false profits".. There are also more sophisticated desiccant canister systems that automatically regenerate when getting wet, but only at night time, when the system compressed air is not needed. Nitrogen for 4 tires at $169 is simply a "false profit" center, and is sure to drive away business from anyone that has a clue about compressed air thermodynamics, particularly those with education or experience in Shop, Science or Engineering. This might be another justification for bringing back Vo-Tech in our Jr & Sr High School education systems, like Germany has, for people not focusing on STEM college prep. Education needs improvement.

Last edited by PCA1983; 09-16-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:53 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: So far - putting the water in the coolant tank has apparently solved the issue. I have not gone past 194F since. I've mimicked the behavior I did before to try to get it to overheat (stop, turn off, turn on, a/c Max) etc and still normal.

May it be the last problem I have.

Going to change one of the tires this week.

B
Old 09-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Update: So far - putting the water in the coolant tank has apparently solved the issue. I have not gone past 194F since. I've mimicked the behavior I did before to try to get it to overheat (stop, turn off, turn on, a/c Max) etc and still normal.

May it be the last problem I have.

Going to change one of the tires this week.

B
Curious why that tire wore well before the others. Guess they will do an alignment?- Run the car idle for 20 mins with the AC full blast and check if it overheats. If not you are good to go.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:09 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

I've had nothing but good experiences with MMC (for both sales & service). Night and day compared to Jack Daniels. If you're still trying to resolve the issues, PM me, I can loop you in with the service guy that helped me there.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:31 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Is there a list of good dealers? Never had a worse experience than at a Honda dealership where the salesguys were lying directly to my face and maintained the lies even when I called them out on them. Eventually they said "can you forgive me I am only human, humans make mistakes." but wow reading the Google reviews where almost half are 1 star reviews with similar experiences to me can't believe Honda lets their dealers pull crap like that. I guess the same as Porsche dealers telling me the 718 is selling like hotcakes....
Old 09-18-2018, 12:45 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

What the heck? I own a bike shop and could not sleep at night telling people they need work that they do not need. I do make recommendations (your tires are 10 years old and full of dry-rot, and your chain is about to break; let's replace those and do a full tune to make sure you don't have other issues) but repairs just for the sake of getting someone to spend money? It just doesn't sit right. I want repeat business, and I want bikes functioning well, but if someone comes in and demands a full $280 overhaul and $175 suspension rebuild but hasn't pedaled it 5 miles since they bought it a year ago, I will politely lube the chain, fill up the tires, and explain that they need to get some miles on the bike before it needs significant service.

Perhaps customers are so used to getting ripped off at auto dealers that they are genuinely shocked to see other industries operating honestly.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Explain this to me please?

Since the last post - I've had no problem with the engine overheating.

Friday I drove 110 miles to PA - no problems. Even with some aggressive driving (Sport + etc)

Saturday morning - took a drive with my friend - NOTHING aggressive at all. About 5 minutes into the drive and my car overheated! I pulled over. Turned it off. Waited 1 minute. Turned it back on - the temp went back down to 194F and it was fine - did not overheat again - nor on the drive home.

What could that possibly be? Another air bubble in the water line?

Old 10-01-2018, 12:02 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Something is abstructing your flow of cooling the engine. You should monitor the temperature the needle should be in the middle once heated. It maybe your car is running on the higher end hot. The trip home isn’t the same as going . For example you maybe going downhill, less traffic , etc. Speak to the dealer again and maybe bring the car in. Perhaps it’s best to seek another dealer repair shop to look into it unfortunately.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:11 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

As stated above, the overheating is still an issue.

I took it in on the 15th of October - they are replacing everything.

From my SA: "They are replacing a coolant temp sensor, regulator, thermostat and valve block once more per Porsche engineering"

Due to get it back this week.

I really hope that solves the issue but now I am plagued with worry about going on longer drives with it - with my luck it will overheat and I'll be in the middle of nowhere.

Good excuse to bring Chocolate and a pillow with me.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:23 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
As stated above, the overheating is still an issue.

I took it in on the 15th of October - they are replacing everything.

From my SA: "They are replacing a coolant temp sensor, regulator, thermostat and valve block once more per Porsche engineering"

Due to get it back this week.

I really hope that solves the issue but now I am plagued with worry about going on longer drives with it - with my luck it will overheat and I'll be in the middle of nowhere.

Good excuse to bring Chocolate and a pillow with me.
Wow - hope you got a shop car to drive in. You should be fine
Old 10-29-2018, 08:24 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by Joenyc

Wow - hope you got a shop car to drive in. You should be fine
Oh yes - have a Porsche Macan - enjoying it. I'd rather they take their time and fix it perfectly. I don't rush them.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:55 PM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it possible to buy tire insurance after you have bought the car? I can see lots of problems heading my way due to all the construction in my area. My car is at the dealer right now with nails in both right side tires.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:28 PM
davashcow
Intermediate

Unpredictable and intermittent overheating with coolant loss is quite worrisome. A bad head gasket can present like this.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:19 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Curious what happened after the last overheating issue. Any update?

Quick Reply: MMC quoted me $2860 to replace 4 tires.