Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 10:53 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Similar option at the Benz dealer?

LOL!
Imagine what they'd do for a Porsche guy!
Old 08-30-2018, 01:02 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I always wonder if the service adviser, or department have a quota to meet.
Some days? I think yes, for sure.
I have never had success purchasing tires at the dealer. Full retail? But I guess, most people say sure. Easy fishing I guess.
O/P - your tires look fine to me. Your tires look like mine. Not new.
I find, no matter the manufacturer, everything is set to "new" specifications.
If anything is below the new tolerance, just replace.
On your low coolant? adding 2 liters? That is one big bubble. @$2oo/hr should they not have the skill to burp the system?
Fill with water? That is fine for a temporary solution. But it should be distilled water, and depending on the quantity should be 50%coolant/50% distilled water.
To me, you have the wrong proportions in your system, and the wrong non-distilled water.

On all the above "loaner" cars. They are not doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. One, they are trying to tease you into trading.
Second - You think your getting a free loaner? Before you accept the free car? Ask what the deductible is? My BMW loaner has a $5k-10,ooo dollar deductible.
Free is relative- I take the shuttle.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:12 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I always wonder if the service adviser, or department have a quota to meet.
Some days? I think yes, for sure.
I have never had success purchasing tires at the dealer. Full retail? But I guess, most people say sure. Easy fishing I guess.
O/P - your tires look fine to me. Your tires look like mine. Not new.
I find, no matter the manufacturer, everything is set to "new" specifications.
If anything is below the new tolerance, just replace.
On your low coolant? adding 2 liters? That is one big bubble. @$2oo/hr should they not have the skill to burp the system?
Fill with water? That is fine for a temporary solution. But it should be distilled water, and depending on the quantity should be 50%coolant/50% distilled water.
To me, you have the wrong proportions in your system, and the wrong non-distilled water.

On all the above "loaner" cars. They are not doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. One, they are trying to tease you into trading.
Second - You think your getting a free loaner? Before you accept the free car? Ask what the deductible is? My BMW loaner has a $5k-10,ooo dollar deductible.
Free is relative- I take the shuttle.
I believe the right tire could use a replacement soon-ish. The left tire seems absolutely fine to my eyes. Certainly not an emergency case on either.
As for the low coolant even after visiting the dealer - I was of course very surprised when the warning light came on. I used tap water, not distilled because I didn't know. To me, water is water and was going by the service advisers advice.
I even specifically asked if I should purchase coolant at my end (even though I know it should have been covered under the warranty) - and was advised not needed.

So far - today - I've driven off and on - park and go - with Max A/C selected each time - to mimic the previous pattern. No overheating - however when the problem originally arose a month ago - I had my indi shop fill it with enough coolant to bring the gauge to Maximum level, and then it drained out somewhere (though I admit I did not see any leak mark).

I assume the problem will arise (if there IS a problem)- in the next few weeks. I won't take it for any far distance drives (stay within the 5 boroughs) in fear of a heat up in the middle of nowhere.

Of course I'll keep everyone posted.

To say the least, it's a Porsche - and I didn't expect the overheating issue to begin with. Seems so bazaar....for a performance German sports car. I thought they got these things right....
Old 08-30-2018, 01:18 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

You have some time left on those tires......I would probably change the back tires next spring.

If you are driving in heavy rain then maybe the safety is starting to be compromised.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:43 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by ClassJ
You have some time left on those tires......I would probably change the back tires next spring.

If you are driving in heavy rain then maybe the safety is starting to be compromised.
My driving is really pretty local when I am not going away for a weekend. About 7 miles from home to office. Perhaps a dinner in Manhattan is 30 miles away. Rain driving rare as who wants to go out in the rain anyway.

I really thought the tires looked fine but I am no expert and glad to be able to come to the forum for more experienced eyes and advice than my own thoughts.

Perplexed why this was made out to be an issue of such tremendous importance, and how an alignment can cost $650 and 4 tires costing $2200 (plus $650 alignment) totaling $2860.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:53 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I worked for an oil company for over a decade after college where we Retail Dealer Reps always jokes "tire sales are a business and gasoline was a sideline" and learned quite a bit about tires from our tire manufacture representatives.
Tires have a "tread wear indicator bar" that is molded into the tires in several places around the tread with a 2/32" raised portion not cut as deeply into the tread. This was the measure for tire replacement for years. Now I see recommendations that tires be replaced at 4/32" tread remaining. In wet weather conditions, yes the worn tread will not grip as well as a new tire, but as far as the safety of the tire from coming apart, they can be safely driven until the treadwear bars make an "H" pattern between the treads. The top of Lincoln's head on a penny is 2/32" . . . now they are saying to use Washington's head on a quarter.
First the tire industry agreed on a 10 year lifespan . . . now let's raise the safety standard for wear from 2/32" up to 4/32" to sell more tires.
A rear engine 911 (without PDCC) will wear out the inner edge of the rear tires. Easy way to sell possibly unnecessary alignments.
If your car is tracked of course, heat cycles can determine replacement more than treadwear.
The above is just my opinion . . . as a lawyer I need to say that
Old 08-30-2018, 04:07 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Slightly OT but I've had some pretty **** experience with dealers out on the West Coast too, so I don't think this is a localized issue with MMC (although my dealings with them in sales not great either, likely they only treat the big guns well over there). PCNA IMO not doing a good job of monitoring the dealers/protecting the end customer, and I'm getting turned off to the brand too so OP you are not alone. Looking to buy my next car from an enthusiast instead of supporting these types of practices and maybe shift my service over to indy shop too.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:16 PM
JamesS1
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So moved up from a 2009 Boxster S to a 2015 911 GTS Cab in May, it was CPO and looked at all the reports. About two weeks later got a flat right rear. I did purchase the tire insurance, wise choice. Towed back to the purchasing dealer. Service guy calls me and said that I need four new tires. The left back is worn too much and with the new right will need to be replaced. And the front tires are beyond the wear marks. Did not even listen to the price he was saying. I said, as explained to me the tire insurance should cover both rears if they need replacing. But even before that, I just bought the car like 2.5 weeks ago, and put maybe 100 miles. If these tires were so low why does the inspection say they are GTO?? Get on with my sales guy and he says let him see. Calls back in 15 min and says don't worry 4 new tires at no cost to you, also while here will do the next service on it also. I was like awesome. It was reading about the CPO and understanding it that help. To me the service writers are far worst than the then sales people. They are just key punchers, order takers and up sellers, who really do not understand cars.

By the way love the 911.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
I worked for an oil company for over a decade after college where we Retail Dealer Reps always jokes "tire sales are a business and gasoline was a sideline" and learned quite a bit about tires from our tire manufacture representatives.
Tires have a "tread wear indicator bar" that is molded into the tires in several places around the tread with a 2/32" raised portion not cut as deeply into the tread. This was the measure for tire replacement for years. Now I see recommendations that tires be replaced at 4/32" tread remaining. In wet weather conditions, yes the worn tread will not grip as well as a new tire, but as far as the safety of the tire from coming apart, they can be safely driven until the treadwear bars make an "H" pattern between the treads. The top of Lincoln's head on a penny is 2/32" . . . now they are saying to use Washington's head on a quarter.
First the tire industry agreed on a 10 year lifespan . . . now let's raise the safety standard for wear from 2/32" up to 4/32" to sell more tires.
A rear engine 911 (without PDCC) will wear out the inner edge of the rear tires. Easy way to sell possibly unnecessary alignments.
If your car is tracked of course, heat cycles can determine replacement more than treadwear.
The above is just my opinion . . . as a lawyer I need to say that
As it goes, I do have PDCC and I have never tracked the car - or spun the rear wheels. I'm a conservative driver for the most part.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:17 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I think you should expand your contacts at other Porsche dealers that service the Metro NY/NJ area. We live in an area that has more Porsche dealers in a 50 mile radius.

MMC is not the place to have non warranty work performed (if you can help it). They are 2 to 3 times more expensive than many Porsche stores. Ray Catena and his entire dealership organization has an attitude that says we will not price match new car prices and if you dare buy elsewhere, you will not get a loaner. I have run into Catena arrogance with my Mercedes and I simply laugh it off and go to another dealer. Ray is a very successful business man but refuses to play ball on vehicle pricing.

Now if you need to get a loaner, reach out to Monmouth Porsche (owned by Penske), Jack Daniels and Paul Miller. They will be much more reasonable than MMC and will likely provide you with loaners (and maybe pick up your car as well). Speak to the service director and understand what they will do to get your service business.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:40 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I read in another thread that Flemington Porsche has “ reasonable “ prices for service. I have no first hand experience with the quality of their work but you may want to look into it.

I have attached a screen shot of post # 43 showing different dealers pricing as well as the link to the thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...placement.html
Old 09-01-2018, 01:02 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default loaner at capital porsche

Capital porsche in tallahassee did give a a loaner on cpo repair but it took 6 weeks. I did not purchase car from them. Porsche dealers I have dealt with all suck, it's a shame the manufacturer makes such a great product.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:44 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

I’ll say it again, MMC Sales, f- - -ing amazing! Service not good and clearly shady, same issue happened to me as OP, went to Ray Catena, they laughed. MMC Detail/PPF absolutely horrible! Not even worth talking about it, huge waste of time! Do yourself a favor and go to Ray Catena, they even pick up and drop off. Reasonable priced. Just my two cents....
Old 09-06-2018, 06:59 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 401 Posts

Rennlist needs to have a separate section so we can rate dealers and independent shops.

Have it by state and then searchable for your area.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:44 PM
be_cuey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not recommend MMC. They have no clue what they are talking about. I had my SD stearing wheel installed there and it was installed off center twice! Also asked them to program my PSE button and I basically had to explain how the PSE system works. They always seem to find something wrong with tires. Although Mr. Holland said he would match any price i find for tires (even Tirerack). keep in mind though that tirerack gives you some warranty that any dealer would not give you.
Although I must say MMC did a great job picking up and dropping off my car from my parking garage the numerous times they had to correct they work.

I am sure any dealer in NJ or even LI would be happy to pick up your car for your NYC dollars. Anyone have any experience with service as Porsche of Roslyn or Huntington etc?

Quick Reply: MMC quoted me $2860 to replace 4 tires.