Ppf full vehicle wrap - Porsche badge

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 10:25 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Ppf full vehicle wrap - Porsche badge

Hello,

Regarding the installation details of ppf I have some questions for those that have wrapped the entire car.

I am considering wrapping my full car and would like to know how others have had their rear-end "Porsche" letters wrapped.

Could you post some images of your wrapped rear "Porsche" badging?

Are the letters individually profiled and the ppf film cut around each of the letters?

Do the installers box out the letters ?

Do the installers remove the letters? If so how do they template them back on?

This is a pretty important detail that I am interested in how others have addressed.

Pictures please.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:57 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

People do both. Have the ppf cut so that it goes around letters that are there (I'll post a pic later) ... or remove letters, wrap, then replace the letters

Last edited by RoWa; 08-25-2018 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:35 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

All in the details. moe from glistening perfection has all the templates from the factory to remove and reinstall new letters.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:49 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

i have my logo and letter reattached over my wrap. cleaner in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Surge74 (10-12-2019)
Old 08-23-2018, 01:53 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

My installer used pre-cut and while not horrible, I was uneducated in what to expect doing a PPF, so it outlines my badge. I would see if you have an installer near you that will do things like removing the badge (and have a template to replace), pull the lights, bumper, etc so you get more corners wrapped. I think my guy did well for what it was but if I had a chance to do it again, I would have gone elsewhere for the extra treatment.
Surge74 (10-12-2019)
Old 08-23-2018, 01:57 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
i have my logo and letter reattached over my wrap. cleaner in my opinion.
^ this.

Cutouts look awful. I would de-badge the back before I went with cutouts.
Surge74 (10-12-2019)
Old 08-23-2018, 07:41 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Best to remove all letters/numbers on rear and buy new to replace. Once removed it's better to have new to replace. A good PPF shop has the proper template.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:33 PM
Highway2Hell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I decided on what detailer to use, I talked specifically about these items with them. Not everyone will have a factory template to do the lettering on the rear. If they are good they know how to measure and mock up a template prior to items being removed.
The biggest choice and what escalates cost is the level of detail of not seeing the edges (wrapping the edges) of the PPF. Some cost can be saved by using pre-cut PPF, just remember you will see edges. I'm a little OCD and it does bother me, but if I step back a bit I can't notice it. The quality and clarity of the PPF is very important. What help me is I got the car color corrected before the PPF was applied.
Below are some picture of the work I recently had done. I documented it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1092...iami-blue.html

Badge Removed, PPF applied

PPF Installed, Badge reapplied

Letters measure, Template made

Letters removed

PPF applied, letters installed with made template

Example of pre-cut PPF. Visible if close, step back and it blends in.

Another example of pre-cut PPF. Visible if close, step back and it blends in.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:48 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Absolutely great advise from all, thank you for pointing out the following:

1. Templating issue / preparation
2. Having lights etc. Removed for extra tucking for a cleaner look.

I will consider this when selecting a wrapping guy.

I found a really nice guy by our office but am a little concerned leaving the car in his shop over night... not for anything other than we are strangers to one another.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:51 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

If you are getting a full wrap you are going to have to leave it for at least 1 night, probably several
Old 08-24-2018, 12:34 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

if you want to pay more you can get all edges wrapped. that means they cant use precut They have to wrap around everything. Some arent capable of doing that, without paint damaging
Old 08-24-2018, 10:33 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

The only things I had my installer remove were the front side running lights, the badge, and the rear lettering. To remove the headlights on the 991.2 you have to remove the front bumper and I didn't want any significant disassembly being done. The edges were wrapped on most of the car wherever possible, doors, hood, spoiler, etc, They can do the doors without remove the handles and mirrors. You should end up with one small straight line above the mirror that only you will ever notice and even then only when you look for it.

An installer knowledgable with the 991 will have techniques worked out to handle all of this and to get the lettering back on perfectly. I'd at least make sure I understand how they plan to handle the lettering before turning them loose on it. I wouldn't do the cut-out approach.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:43 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

my advice, if you are having your rear bumper wrapped, to buy new badges. When I did mine, the adhesive my ppf shop used wasn't the same as factory. if you want that factory look, no other way than to get new emblems.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:29 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you do not wrap the edges over time the exposed edge will collect dirt and will be very visible.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:04 PM
Extreme Autowerks
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rapter
Hello,

Regarding the installation details of ppf I have some questions for those that have wrapped the entire car.

I am considering wrapping my full car and would like to know how others have had their rear-end "Porsche" letters wrapped.

Could you post some images of your wrapped rear "Porsche" badging?

Are the letters individually profiled and the ppf film cut around each of the letters?

Do the installers box out the letters ?

Do the installers remove the letters? If so how do they template them back on?

This is a pretty important detail that I am interested in how others have addressed.

Pictures please.

DEFINITELY have the badges removed. It's all double sided tape that can be easily removed and re applied! Cutting around the letters has a ton of potential negative side effects :P As long as your installer can make an accurate template before removal, the reinstallation should be clean and simple! For smaller and thinner badges there is a chance of breakage or a crooked reapplication, but again, if your installer is good with small details, it should be no problem!

-K
Surge74 (10-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Ppf full vehicle wrap - Porsche badge