Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ppf full vehicle wrap - Porsche badge

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 05:28 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I would NOT do cutouts. I saw this on another car earlier this spring (NOT my car). Not a fan.

My guy measured precisely, removed, and replaced my letters back over the PPF. Looks flawless.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Another question...

For those that have the full body wrap is your rear bumper wrapped in two pieces or one piece ?

My installer is telling me that below the licence plate there will be an upper piece and lower piece...

I would prefer one piece of course.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Extreme Autowerks
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rapter
Another question...

For those that have the full body wrap is your rear bumper wrapped in two pieces or one piece ?

My installer is telling me that below the licence plate there will be an upper piece and lower piece...

I would prefer one piece of course.

Can you post a pic of your actual bumper and I can help you set expectations!

-K
Old 09-06-2018, 03:50 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

My guy did the rear bumper in a single piece, but had to add a single straight cut right under the license plate where it is least visible. Here's a photo showing it from the angle most people would see it from. Look between the A and the R in "Star"
Old 09-06-2018, 03:56 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I moved the car outside to get a better shot in good light and just noticed details I hadn't noticed even after several washings. In the license plate cutout area, there is no PPF in the downward and inward facing surfaces, but they wrap just to the turn-in of the cutout so I'd never noticed. Look closely here, you can see the beginning of the cut better at the lower right edge of the license plate recess. It is still one piece though, just cut so that the film drops on down into the flat part of recessed area around the plate.

Last edited by StormRune; 09-06-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:53 PM
Rapter
Racer

Originally Posted by Extreme Autowerks
Can you post a pic of your actual bumper and I can help you set expectations!

-K
Please refer to the attached rear bumper profile of a 991.2.

Name:  photo530.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  646.8 KB
Old 09-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Extreme Autowerks
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by Rapter
Please refer to the attached rear bumper profile of a 991.2.

Attachment 1290259
It can be done in a 1 piece custom application. There will have to be some openings in the film for around the license plate area, as well as a couple of small slits around the vents. There doesn't need to be 2 completely separate pieces. With the proper experience, you can manipulate a good quality PPF a lot! But, keep in mind, doing it in 2 pieces doesn't necessarily make it a poor install, as long as the cuts are straight and butted areas are clean and tight!

-K
Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Rapter
Racer

Originally Posted by Extreme Autowerks
It can be done in a 1 piece custom application. There will have to be some openings in the film for around the license plate area, as well as a couple of small slits around the vents. There doesn't need to be 2 completely separate pieces. With the proper experience, you can manipulate a good quality PPF a lot! But, keep in mind, doing it in 2 pieces doesn't necessarily make it a poor install, as long as the cuts are straight and butted areas are clean and tight!

-K
Thank you,

I will discuss with the installer and make a decision that will be the least fussed of the two.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:58 PM
Rapter
Racer

Thanks for everyone's help on this thread.

My installer has confirmed the following great points:

1. The panel pieces are all pre-cut however oversized in all directions. This gives the installer and customer the efficiency of a pre-cut install but the excellent details of a custom job.

2. The rear bumper is 1 piece with a vertical seam on the center line of the licence plate only.

3. All pieces are oversized as mentioned in point #1 so maximum edge wrapping and tucking is possible.

4. Porsche badge is removed and replaced as part of this installation.

I am looking forward to a great wrap.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:20 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I just can't see the value in having the entire car wrapped. I just had mine donein "full frontal" plus all areas at risk from road rash, plus door edges and door handle pockets for $1920 — and a really high qualit installation. Am I too rational? Please help me out. Why would i want my entire Porsce wrapped at a much higher cost? For what reason?
Old 09-09-2018, 09:44 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

for me and my incoming GT3 its because I am getting Jet Black and don't want swirls anywhere. other colors to me, just the front stuff is fine.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:40 PM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
for me and my incoming GT3 its because I am getting Jet Black and don't want swirls anywhere. other colors to me, just the front stuff is fine.
Yep. My logic exactly...
Old 04-07-2019, 12:02 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Similar to above, I made a template out of blue painters tape, then removed mine myself.

Then I scanned the letters I removed, converted them to a file that my plotter could use, and cut them out of gray metallic vinyl to make the replacements. It still took some adjusting of individual letters even with the template though, but since I made the letters myself, that wasn't a problem.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:37 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Many have stated that with pre cut the edges cannot be wrapped. I have see numerous cars with pre cut that had the option to expand all the washes so that they could be wrapped. If your shop cannot do that then find another shop.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default respectfully disagree

I like the precut edges as I dont want anyone coming near my paint with an exacto knife. There is a GT3 on here that was ruined that way.

Originally Posted by Jack F
Many have stated that with pre cut the edges cannot be wrapped. I have see numerous cars with pre cut that had the option to expand all the washes so that they could be wrapped. If your shop cannot do that then find another shop.

Quick Reply: Ppf full vehicle wrap - Porsche badge