Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 991.2 coolant leak at 1,600 miles. Any else experiencing problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 11:46 AM
dschauer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's good to hear.

Dealer just provided a response to my questions about possible damage as a result of the water pump failure. They stated that they felt the cooling system itself was working properly. The water pump assembly has a weep hole to bleed off excess coolant if the internal seal should fail inside the pump (which is what they think failed). The warning I received was for low coolant volume. There feeling is damage would only occur if all of the coolant leaked out and the car was driven a significant amount of time after. Still wondering why I didn't see any signs of a leak in the garage but I suppose it's possible it was a very slow leak or that it only leaked when running and under pressure.

Thank all of you for your comments. Very reassuring to have a community to get feedback. Thank you.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Mine is still at the dealer since yesterday. They are going to look at it today.

If there was smoke coming out of the back of the car after I parked it - what would that be a sign of? What exactly was "burning"?
Old 08-23-2018, 05:01 PM
3DMetal
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts

It's common. No big deal to repair. ( they install a new water pump ).
Old 08-24-2018, 04:55 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dschauer
Dealer called yesterday to say that it is a water pump bearing failure and that they just happened to have one available (obviously I'm not the only one with this problem) so it is being installed. The more I dwell on this the more I want to know what possible damage or excessive wear occurred as a result.

Assume the water pump likely never worked properly therefore for 1,500 miles the coolant didn’t circulate properly. There were no leaks (never saw one drop on garage floor or while on lift) so the 3 liters of coolant likely boiled off. This would seem to explain why there was no prior warning (only warning was the Stop Engine Immediately signal) assuming the coolant temperature sensor must be on the ‘cold’ side of the water pump.

So question is how could the coolant boil off in a pressurized system and if it wasn’t pressurized because the pump didn’t work how hot did the coolant get to cause it to boil off? How can we ever know how hot the engine actually got. Assume that engine oil would have been an fairly effective coolant. Should the oil be changed and tested to see if it degraded because of heat?

Obviously the cooling system is there for a reason so wouldn’t the lack of cooling likely cause some damage?

Am I over thinking this? Should I be concerned?
Send a sample of the oil off to Blackstone for analysis. If the test results come back showing heat damage, then you could have a reasonable basis to worry about engine damage. Since you are still going through break-in, excessive wear particles are less of a concern. Realistically, I doubt there will be any damage since you stopped the engine shortly after the message appeared.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:13 PM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a water pump fail on mine too before 10,000 miles. I didn't see leaks either but there were coolant stains underneath the car when looking at it on a lift.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:50 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Send a sample of the oil off to Blackstone for analysis. If the test results come back showing heat damage, then you could have a reasonable basis to worry about engine damage. Since you are still going through break-in, excessive wear particles are less of a concern. Realistically, I doubt there will be any damage since you stopped the engine shortly after the message appeared.
I think you're over thinking the oil being overheated causing it to degrade- I keep an eye on my oil temp all the time and I suspect you look at the guage, too? If oil temps were consistently over 250, then I'd wonder about degrading. Mine never exceed 220 or so, then I put it in Sport and bring them down to 200..
Old 08-24-2018, 07:36 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It’s not that the oil will degrade. Blackstone tests for the presence of coolant mixed into the oil, such as might occur with a warped cylinder head.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:49 AM
dschauer
8th Gear

Picked up my car on Saturday. They replaced the water pump after performing pressure test of system. Drained coolant and vacuum filled new coolant. Asked to look at old water pump but told they could not find it. What they did explain is that the pump itself was operating but that a seal had failed allowing coolant to drip out of the weep hole. Originally didn't make sense to me since (no evidence on garage floor but when I got the car home and put it on the lift there was plenty of evidence that coolant had leaked out of the area of the pump. There is nothing that would have kept coolant from leaking onto the garage floor so can only assume that it was a slow leak that burned off.

I've cleaned up the area and plan to monitor for any new problems. Dealer told me that they have had a number of issues with the water pumps and claimed they'd installed a 4th one on a 997 due to repeated failures of the same seal.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:46 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Picked up my car on Saturday. They replaced the water pump after performing pressure test of system. Drained coolant and vacuum filled new coolant. Asked to look at old water pump but told they could not find it. What they did explain is that the pump itself was operating but that a seal had failed allowing coolant to drip out of the weep hole. Originally didn't make sense to me since (no evidence on garage floor but when I got the car home and put it on the lift there was plenty of evidence that coolant had leaked out of the area of the pump. There is nothing that would have kept coolant from leaking onto the garage floor so can only assume that it was a slow leak that burned off.

I've cleaned up the area and plan to monitor for any new problems. Dealer told me that they have had a number of issues with the water pumps and claimed they'd installed a 4th one on a 997 due to repeated failures of the same seal.

It is not uncommon that a pump seal leak only reveals itself when the pump is running so I am not surprised that you didn't have any visible puddles in your garage. Glad you got the problem resolved.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Have heard of several water pump problems with 991.2s here in the UK.

Will get my Porsche Centre to have a (precautionary) look when I take my Carrera T in to have the winter wheels/tyres fitted.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:48 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Mine is still at the dealer since yesterday. They are going to look at it today.

If there was smoke coming out of the back of the car after I parked it - what would that be a sign of? What exactly was "burning"?
smoke is water leaked onto the motor. If steam was coming from the exhaust that is different
Old 08-27-2018, 03:09 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the exact same service done on my car last week 2017 991.2 GTS. Replaced water pump and drained/refilled coolant.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:58 PM
991.2GTS
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine failed last week. 10000km. Changed under warranty, they said is a new design
Old 08-27-2018, 08:56 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Ours is leaking too and has since about mile 3,000. We are at ~7,000 miles now and the problem hasn't got better. Although, I've not had to add coolant yet, but the pump regularly has a fresh drop hanging off and the typical staining from dried coolant. This thread is the reminder I needed to make an appointment with the dealer to finally get it replaced (assuming under warranty).
Old 11-07-2018, 08:49 PM
golfsaurus
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carrera T 2018, miles 10,500 seal at water pump leaking so they replaced water pump and hoses. Yellow warning 1st, then red warning to stop immediately. Never noticed puddling until after added 45 oz of water to bring up to above med fill and with engine on, must have been leaking under pressure

Quick Reply: 2018 991.2 coolant leak at 1,600 miles. Any else experiencing problems?