Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Driving Route from Stuttgart through Austria and Switzerland back to Stuttgart?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 05:19 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Best Driving Route from Stuttgart through Austria and Switzerland back to Stuttgart?

I am renting a Panamera Turbo at the Porsche Museum for a week (my wife and 2 teenage daughters are along for the ride) and wanted to see if there are any must do routes or some suggestions from any who have taken a trip like that before.
My tentative plans are something like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pors...48.8342104!3e0

I figured we would just drive and stop for the night wherever we can find a good hotel along the way. But I want to plan to see the best things along the way and we have 1 week to do the drive.
Any suggestions?

Old 08-20-2018, 07:51 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For god's sake stay below the speed limit in Switzerland. If you are going the speed limit in a performance car you will get a BIG ticket. If you rev the engine in town you will get a ticket. If you rev in a tunnel... yep you will get a ticket. The cameras w/ microphones are everywhere. I lived in Germany for 5 years and had 2 manufacturing sites in Switzerland. I ended up only traveling by train in Switzerland.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:58 AM
CloudJumping
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ha, I just nearly did this a week or so ago. I did euro delivery, spent one additional night in Stuttgart, then went directly into Switzerland and did 3 amazing passes then met my GF in lenzerheide switzerland.

The "speedway" area near the benz factory is unreal car center.
I stayed here and there is a ferrari, lambo, bentley and porsche dealer there. plus huge collection of all sorts of older cars. very cool and highly suggested instead of staying in Stuttgart.

Decent $100/night new hotel in small little town with really fun driving roads from the "81" through the forest to that area.
http://www.roessleelzach.de/

Then for switzerland highly suggest to hit as many passes and smaller towns as possible.

I did something like this:
https://goo.gl/maps/jChhWEw7rrt

After switzerland I went south into Tuscany, so cant help on the second part of trip for you. Either way im sure will be super awesome.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:12 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Lake region in Austria near Salzburg is amazing. Gmunden, Lake Halstatt are awesome. Skip on Switzerland if you plan to 'drive' they seem to hate motorists.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:46 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

I've done this twice in a 911 cabriolet that I rented in Stuttgart. You should have a great time! Here's an example of one of my routes that was really good:

Starting point: V8 Hotel in Boblingen (Stuttgart area)
Stop for first night: Romantic Hotel Schweizerhof, Grindelwald, Switzerland
Stop fo the next night: Grand Hotel Kronenhof, Switzerland (my favorite hotel on the trip)
Stop for the next night: Traumhotel... lieges Rot Fluh, Austria
Last hotel: Parkhotel Stuttgart Messe-Airport, (Stuttgart area)

Stelvio pass is a must!

Quick Reply: Best Driving Route from Stuttgart through Austria and Switzerland back to Stuttgart?