Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Until PAG's smell engineer gets up to speed…

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 10:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Maybe try this?

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-20-2018, 01:14 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Great thread as we all suspect that "interior smell" can't be any good. Perhaps get a portable air quality tester and post the results.

I'm too afraid to find out. You think arguing over 370HP being enough or Turbo vs NA is bad? I'm certain that the the gasses released by our lovely interiors are way more harmful than the occasional toxic thread.

I searched quickly and perhaps something like this: https://www.aeroqual.com/product/ser...lution-monitor
Old 08-20-2018, 08:33 AM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Efficient but expensive fix: add a Cab to the stable
Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Pete - get some activated carbon shoe inserts - put one under each seat.

Also so if you use a Porsche service centre ask them not to use any deodorisation
Old 08-20-2018, 10:26 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Should have gotten leather. Mine has a nice leather smell still there after 1.5+ years and 15k miles.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:49 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Pete, does Mrs. Stout like vanilla? If she does, buy a couple vanilla bean seeds (very-very expensive now, and hard to find) from your local grocery store, or online, crack in half, and put under your seats. Among other things, vanilla also has a natural masking and natural neutralizing property. This masking and neutralizing approach is very important, as opposed to just adding more fragrance and aroma to the car, that she may also not like. I'll ask my Chemists, and see what other advice they can offer with "home remedies". Good luck.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default just a drop under her seat

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ccp-lEmoAE#
Old 08-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

Pete, with your contacts at Porsche can you talk to the "Smell Engineer" and get his advice?
Old 08-20-2018, 02:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Joe, I heard back from my Chief Chemist. Unscented Fabreeze.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Ugh... I hope the next 911's aren't going to have perfume bottles in their interior. It's one thing when ultra luxury brands like Rolls Royce or Mercedes does it... but please not Porsche! This would mean they've completely changed their focus!
Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 PM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the perfume would provide a taste of burned rubber and unleaded gas it would be fine with me :-)
Old 08-20-2018, 03:40 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

One thing I will say Pete is I have a very strong aversion to using any sort of cleaner on the interior of my car. I've had too many bad experiences with products in the past that turned the leather and/or "faux leather" into a greasy slip and slide irreversibly, or to where no matter what I couldn't get it back to the way it was before.

It doesn't help the issue with your wife, but just a friendly warning from one person's experience to be careful and vet the products out, as I was too reckless and just went to town with leather cleaner I ordered online (forgot the brand names, been awhile) lol.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:32 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

GREAT inputs, everyone. A lot of ideas to pursue.

Some more pieces to this puzzle, now that I think about it some more:
  • In 2010, had a 987.2 Boxster Spyder press car from the launch in Carmel for a week; Mrs. Stout noted the smell she hates wasn't present; have never been able to figure this out, but three things about the car stood out: 1) it was a RoW model, 2) it had Natural Leather (red in that case), and 3) it didn't have much of a roof
  • 911 Turbos of all vintages since then seem to be the worst for her
  • My GT4 had the standard interior; failed her smell test
  • My 991.2 Carrera has the Natural Leather interior in Espresso...full leather all over the place. Smells nice to me, fails her smell test
All of the above are only clues. May or may not be relevant, but stand out to me.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:53 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Pete - my vote is that this is off-gassing of the vinyl in the interior. Some people are strongly sensitive to the VOCs released by vinyl, and many people experience this as a "solvent" type smell. I am one of these people, and I noticed it in my Carrera T as well. Whatever material Porsche is using is fairly unique, as I've not had this problem in my other late-model cars (a Land Rover and an Acura MDX)

There's no good way to eliminate the VOC off-gassing, it simply reduces over time as fewer molecules in the material are available to escape into the air (which is why older cars don't have this problem - except right after trim restoration replacement. The only thing you can try is to speed up the process, which is what I did, by letting the car sit in the sun (heat accelerates the process) and strong airflow (fans) to remove the VOCs. I let the car sit, open windows, Texas heat, in my driveway with a shop fan blowing in the driver's side window for two weekends in a row and the odor is almost completely gone (as is most of the new car smell).
This would be my bet, though almost any synthetic will outgas more or less- foam, carpet, plastics, adhesives (especially), etc. Hard to say where the culprit lies originally (adhesive for sound insulation?) but the VOCs can condense out onto other surfaces if they’re trapped in place rather than removed. My advice would mirror the above- get the car hot with the windows cracked and you’ll dramatically accelerate the outgassing. Also agree with the unscented febreze as plan b.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:26 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Unfortunately spraying products around the car only masks and can often amplify negative smells in the long term - activated charcoal is brilliant for removing smells (huge trapping surface area for adsorption - particularly smelly organics) - if you place beneath seats, you can use the fans to drawer down the air circulating through the cabin (the cooling fans don't blow towards the body - they suck away from it) across the activated carbon and trap the organics which generate the smell. Every so often remove the activated carbon for a clean batch - rinse and repeat.

Quick Reply: Until PAG's smell engineer gets up to speed…