Sponsored by:

GIAC VS COBB on 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:05 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
I think when Cobb is finally able to break into the ECU without having to remove it from the car, I’ll put my money down. It appears both Stage 1 tunes are close, but the ability to swap OEM and Stage 1 tunes at will makes it the more attractive choice for me.
Have fun waiting for that.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:17 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Spoke to both GIAC and Cobb today. Both very friendly.

-Sending in your ECU: required by both regardless where you have it done, in your garage, at a dealer or a tuner.
-Gains: Identical in both cases 18.5% HP and 36% Tq.
-Turnaround: very quick in both cases.
-Price:Cobb=$1695 includes Access Port and overnight shipping back, GIAC = $2200 plus shipping in each direction
-Process:Cobb = can be bought on their website or via phone. They will send you package will take two days and you pack your ECU in it and ship it. Ship it overnight, they reflash same day and ship it back overnight same day.
GIAC= You fill out a form and email it to them, required ECU part number so you need ECU in hand, can forgoe it in case current or older cars which they have done a lot of. Once they approve it they let you know and ask you to ship the ECU. They tune it and ask for payment over the phone and ship it back.

So considering above Cobb is a better deal as it does allow you to switch tunes back and forth and access port is included.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:06 AM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
. That is great. My Warranty book states parts and components installed by dealer have warranty provided by Porsche North America. What I will go by. Out.
Good luck with that. Just because a dealer installs it, doesn’t mean Porsche North America will cover it. At the end of the day, it all falls on you.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:11 AM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
I have experience with Cobb + warranty concerns from my 981. In short, by installing the tune you will void your warranty even if you reinstall the factory tune when taking it to the dealer.

What happens is that if you have a complicated or intermittent problem with your engine or transmission (PDK was getting into limp mode intermittently for me), the dealer must get a dump of the ECU/DME and send it to Porsche for analysis. This data very clearly indicates that the car isn't stock or has been tampered with. The dealer can easily see this and will recommend you don't proceed with sending the data to Porsche. This leaves with no options.

There is a law stating warranty coverage can't be refused for aftermarket parts unless they're determined to be the cause of the failure. It is however very reasonable for the dealer/ Porsche to assume that an aftermarket tune will be cause of an engine failure or problem. Sure you can fight them in court, but somehow I doubt that's going to be worth the time/money and you are an individual don't have a chance against a large corporation.

If you're getting your car tuned, just assume your engine/transmission warranty is gone. Not saying the tune will blow up your engine or something bad will happen - likely not.
Bingo.

Now, the only situation that is perfect in the tuning world is the Dinan and BMW relationship. Dinan gives you a parallel warranty with your factory warranty. Whatever the factory doesn’t cover, Dinan does. I wish Porsche had a tuner that provided the same thing.

My Dinan-tuned M6 was a beast.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Have fun waiting for that.
I didn't take all that long...and I still had fun while waiting.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:00 PM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm surprised to see only a few folks chimed in on this Cobb v. GIAC thread - I would have thought a bunch of guys would have done one or the other to their 991.2 base Carreras and shared some thoughts. I'm in the same boat here and need more public feedback to help me choose the right one. If anyone can send me a link to a thread that may have already covered this very thoroughly, I'm much obliged.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:05 PM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Spoke to both GIAC and Cobb today. Both very friendly.

-Sending in your ECU: required by both regardless where you have it done, in your garage, at a dealer or a tuner.
-Gains: Identical in both cases 18.5% HP and 36% Tq.
-Turnaround: very quick in both cases.
-Price:Cobb=$1695 includes Access Port and overnight shipping back, GIAC = $2200 plus shipping in each direction
-Process:Cobb = can be bought on their website or via phone. They will send you package will take two days and you pack your ECU in it and ship it. Ship it overnight, they reflash same day and ship it back overnight same day.
GIAC= You fill out a form and email it to them, required ECU part number so you need ECU in hand, can forgoe it in case current or older cars which they have done a lot of. Once they approve it they let you know and ask you to ship the ECU. They tune it and ask for payment over the phone and ship it back.

So considering above Cobb is a better deal as it does allow you to switch tunes back and forth and access port is included.
Cyberbug, this is a very helpful post and thanks for sharing the critical details. Which did you go with and what are your thoughts looking back?
Old 01-03-2020, 07:06 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I have had 2 Cobb tunes and Giac a while back on an older Pcar. Love the ease of install and uninstall of the Cobb and the gains. Also have the Cobb PDK update which improves overall shift character. Cobb all the way.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:47 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

I put another 50 miles or so on my recently installed Cobb tonight and she is really coming to life...noticeably better than the first 50 miles.
The following users liked this post:
Omega4 (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 08:57 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

This discussions started with the question of whether Cobb or GIAC offer the more aggressive tune. Then with all of the discussion about likely warranty problems if the engine or transmission suffers after the tune is installed, it makes me wonder whether one should be seeking the less aggressive tune.

It also depends on which model you have. It is my understanding that in the 991.2, the base, S, and GTS engines and transmissions are all identical. The differences are in the sizes of the turbochargers and the programming of their engine management systems. In other words, we know that the basic powertrain components are absolutely safe to 450 hp.

So if you have a base car, as I do, you can use a tune to increase power by 50-80 hp, without risking your powertrain very much at all. The most likely possibility is that you might overspeed your small turbos and damage them. Based on the numerous write-ups, that does not seem to be a common occurrence, so the risk seems small.

On the other hand, if take your GTS to 500-plus HP, I suspect you are taking a considerably greater chance with your engine. I'm sure the engine has a useful safety margin built-in, but on a hot day, with perhaps subpar fuel, you would be eating into that margin far more with a tuned GTS than with a tuned base car.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:26 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Robdokwon
I'm surprised to see only a few folks chimed in on this Cobb v. GIAC thread - I would have thought a bunch of guys would have done one or the other to their 991.2 base Carreras and shared some thoughts. I'm in the same boat here and need more public feedback to help me choose the right one. If anyone can send me a link to a thread that may have already covered this very thoroughly, I'm much obliged.
The base Carrera was one of most limited production models of the 991.2. Probably why not too many base owners chiming in. I suspect so bought that si ply because of price point and spending more money was not in the plan.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:28 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
This discussions started with the question of whether Cobb or GIAC offer the more aggressive tune. Then with all of the discussion about likely warranty problems if the engine or transmission suffers after the tune is installed, it makes me wonder whether one should be seeking the less aggressive tune.

It also depends on which model you have. It is my understanding that in the 991.2, the base, S, and GTS engines and transmissions are all identical. The differences are in the sizes of the turbochargers and the programming of their engine management systems. In other words, we know that the basic powertrain components are absolutely safe to 450 hp.

So if you have a base car, as I do, you can use a tune to increase power by 50-80 hp, without risking your powertrain very much at all. The most likely possibility is that you might overspeed your small turbos and damage them. Based on the numerous write-ups, that does not seem to be a common occurrence, so the risk seems small.

On the other hand, if take your GTS to 500-plus HP, I suspect you are taking a considerably greater chance with your engine. I'm sure the engine has a useful safety margin built-in, but on a hot day, with perhaps subpar fuel, you would be eating into that margin far more with a tuned GTS than with a tuned base car.
BBI in California started that these engines are good to about 800HP. That was said confidently. They are a very well known Porsche tuner; 50 additional hp for a GTS would be non issue.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:30 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I put another 50 miles or so on my recently installed Cobb tonight and she is really coming to life...noticeably better than the first 50 miles.
Do a separate write up after a few weeks. The GTS owners would like to know.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:59 PM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure about 800hp capacity on boost flashing alone but your point is well taken. I've heard discreetly from many Porsche Service Techs and salesmen that the base 3.0 ltr engine is way undertuned and of all the asking around I've done, I've never heard of problem with a stage 1 Cobb or GIAC tune hurting an engine and a dealer warranty being voided. I could be wrong but that's why I chose to revive this thread. I need to fully vet this as it's big money for me at stake - I'm at the bottom end of the Porsche family financial barrel, lol.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:07 AM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Sorry for the silly question, but not sure why the tune isn't consistent from mile 1 - you are getting progressively improving performance with more miles driven??

In any case, that's awesome. You have a base C2? What do you feel different? Any additional turbo lag? Is the surge still linear or does it spike suddenly? Is the turbo whistle any louder or higher pitched?

Quick Reply: GIAC VS COBB on 991.2