Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GIAC VS COBB on 991.2

Old 08-18-2018, 10:00 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem

after reading the Warranty pamphlet provided with my car, anything installed by dealer is warranties by Porsche North America. Recommend you read and ask questions before you decide.
Not sure about that one...
Old 08-18-2018, 10:56 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Not sure about that one...
ok, so what does your warranty book state?
Old 08-18-2018, 11:13 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

ok, so what does your warranty book state?
Logic and common sense. If I have my dealer install an aftermarket part on my car there is no way the dealer is going to warranty that part. Please, prove us wrong. Install a Cobb tune, run the car hard, and when the engine tanks hand them the warranty pamphlet.

I'm sure everything will be squeaky clean no questions asked.....
Old 08-18-2018, 11:18 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

Why do you assume if you install the Cobb tune and run the car like a Porsche the engine will tank?
Old 08-18-2018, 11:57 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Why do you assume if you install the Cobb tune and run the car like a Porsche the engine will tank?
Not saying it will but IF it does good luck getting Porsche to cover it.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:50 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Logic and common sense. ...
. That is great. My Warranty book states parts and components installed by dealer have warranty provided by Porsche North America. What I will go by. Out.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:11 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

. That is great. My Warranty book states parts and components installed by dealer have warranty provided by Porsche North America. What I will go by. Out.
lol you are only reading a small part of it and failing to abide by the rest small print that comes after..

Again, instead of blindly trying to justify your opinion use your brain. Porsche is not going to warranty your engine if it blows when the dealer installs an aftermarket tune.

You can believe all you want they will and snip parts of a warranty booklet but that doesnt change reality.

Out.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:18 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

lol you are only reading a small part of it and failing to abide by the rest small print that comes after..

Again, instead of blindly trying to justify your opinion use your brain. Porsche is not going to warranty your engine if it blows when the dealer installs an aftermarket tune.

You can believe all you want they will and snip parts of a warranty booklet but that doesnt change reality.

Out.
Also, I almost purchased a 911 targa by Chamption Porche (one the largest and most respected dealerships in 911). They installed a GIAC tune and I asked them about the warranty and they told me if the engine blows because of the tune IT WOULD NOT BE COVERED BY PORSCHE.

They installed this tune. I have this in writing from them.

You can stick your head in the sand like an ostrich but I'm sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Modding your car is a choice. If you are going to mod irresponsibly then you have to be ready to take the hit if something happens.
An exhaust, Cobb tune, and other reputable accessories are not over the top. The engines, tranny's and internals in these cars are robust. I have modded 3 of my Pcars, done properly, without problems. It's your car do what suits you just do it with quality vendors and logically.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:27 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I have experience with Cobb + warranty concerns from my 981. In short, by installing the tune you will void your warranty even if you reinstall the factory tune when taking it to the dealer.

What happens is that if you have a complicated or intermittent problem with your engine or transmission (PDK was getting into limp mode intermittently for me), the dealer must get a dump of the ECU/DME and send it to Porsche for analysis. This data very clearly indicates that the car isn't stock or has been tampered with. The dealer can easily see this and will recommend you don't proceed with sending the data to Porsche. This leaves with no options.

There is a law stating warranty coverage can't be refused for aftermarket parts unless they're determined to be the cause of the failure. It is however very reasonable for the dealer/ Porsche to assume that an aftermarket tune will be cause of an engine failure or problem. Sure you can fight them in court, but somehow I doubt that's going to be worth the time/money and you are an individual don't have a chance against a large corporation.

If you're getting your car tuned, just assume your engine/transmission warranty is gone. Not saying the tune will blow up your engine or something bad will happen - likely not.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:40 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I think you aren't reading carefully enough, the wording on the various installation sections only covers genuine Porsche parts installed by a dealer. The never mention non-OEM parts in any such wording. I think you are trying to read the sentence in bold italics below out of the context established by the preceding sentence. But in context and all other mentions are quite clear.

Quotiing from the Warranty Manual:
  • PCNA will arrange for repair or replacement using new or remanufactured parts distributed by PCNA, at its sole option, any part covered under this warranty that is defective in material or workmanship under normal use. Parts that were sold and installed by an authorized Porsche dealer will be repaired or replaced without charge either for parts or labor.
And this section under the "This Warranty Does Not Cover" section is pretty clear too.
  • Dealer-installed accessories not distributed by PCNA.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:21 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
If you're getting your car tuned, just assume your engine/transmission warranty is gone. Not saying the tune will blow up your engine or something bad will happen - likely not.
Exactly. OEMs test and qualify their parts/engine for designed loads. So for a Carrera GTS, that engine is guaranteed by Porsche to be reliable for the warranty period at stock 450hp. The bearings, oil flow paths, connecting rods, pistons, etc are all sized to handle that load for a specified duration. It is wholly unreasonable to expect Porsche to warranty their engine if you increase the power above the stock rating.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:01 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

This started with a Cobb vs Giac conversation now it's all about the warranty manual and how your car will blow up and who is going to pay for it.
If you are ready to tune choose well known and reputable vendors, tune and mod wisely and don't expect Porsche to take care of issues caused by the tuning. With that said proper tuning can be done and performance greatly enhanced. Cobb right now , in my opinion, is doing the best job on Pcars.
If you don't have the stomach for tuning,or don't feel your car needs any extra oomph or some finessing of the PDK, like many here then don't. I have had good results and no catastrophic issues with my cars. I like the tuned engine attitude and the upgrade to the PDK. OP good luck with your choice either way.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:44 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Also, I almost purchased a 911 targa by Chamption Porche (one the largest and most respected dealerships in 911). They installed a GIAC tune and I asked them about the warranty and they told me if the engine blows because of the tune IT WOULD NOT BE COVERED BY PORSCHE.

They installed this tune. I have this in writing from them.

You can stick your head in the sand like an ostrich but I'm sorry to burst your bubble.
http://www.championmotorsport.com/v/...yagreement.pdf
Old 08-20-2018, 07:03 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think when Cobb is finally able to break into the ECU without having to remove it from the car, I’ll put my money down. It appears both Stage 1 tunes are close, but the ability to swap OEM and Stage 1 tunes at will makes it the more attractive choice for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GIAC VS COBB on 991.2