Sponsored by:

911 Decision Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 12:29 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Delete. Photo didn't upload.

Last edited by Dan Nagy; 08-16-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Photo didn't upload.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:31 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you really want the 718 Spyder or a 992. I completely understand the hesitation about a "loud" color but that Miami Blue is beautiful on a C2 Coupe.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

This is what I had in mind:

Dan's new 911?
Old 08-16-2018, 01:11 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Yeah, the Miami Blue paint has really grown on me. However, where I live it's a sea of gray, black, and white cars. It would really stick out and attract unwanted attention. I want it, but a little afraid of it at the same time.
I get a lot of double-takes in a Carrera-white metallic, so I'm thinking it's more the unmistakable shape of a Porsche 911 and less the colour that attracts attention.

That said, just make sure Miami Blue is a colour you will enjoy should you make this car a "keeper".
Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

You don't mention what would be the cost to do what is essentially an in-kind swap, except for color. And how that cost compares to waiting until the end of the lease.

What a high cost is varies depending upon our personal situations, but if this is a high-cost change I'd have to ask my self if that money was worth the couple of tweaks I'm doing and a new color (a pricey one at that it seems). For me each time I've considered swapping just for color or minor updates I've always balked due to cost. If the cost is low or not a concern, then it could really make sense.

If you didn't already have a damned-nice car my advice would be different.

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

991.2 C2. The engine (torque), chassis, damping and overall refinement improvement is worth the step up. On top of that, the 4WSS--which I wish I had ordered--with cloth inserts is another good reason. Finally the color. Ahem...I like it a lot! I woke up in the night after delivery with color remorse because of its brightness. But decided after an hour worrying, to "own" the color. Two years on and I couldn't be happier with MB. It makes walking into my garage an occasion, let alone driving it. I have had a lot of response over the color. All positive (apparently the haters aren't vocal). Make the leap--in model and color--you won't regret it.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:45 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OliverK68
I get a lot of double-takes in a Carrera-white metallic, so I'm thinking it's more the unmistakable shape of a Porsche 911 and less the colour that attracts attention.

That said, just make sure Miami Blue is a colour you will enjoy should you make this car a "keeper".
In 1990, really 1989, Mazda came out with the MX-5 Miata. As a long time Colin Chapman fan and sincere lover of the Lotus Elan, the car had instant appeal to me. It was impossible to get one. All the waiting lists were 8 months or longer. However, it just so happened that I went to visit my parents in Williamsport, PA, and at the local dealer they had one in stock. It was Mariner Blue, very similar to this color. I hated the color at the time but bought it anyway because I had to have that sports car. In time, I learned to love it but had to sell it. Later, I purchased another one in the same color, a 1992 model and had it for years until selling it when I moved overseas for work. So, this color is one that is pleasant to my eyes. The GT silver is beautiful, too.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
You don't mention what would be the cost to do what is essentially an in-kind swap, except for color. And how that cost compares to waiting until the end of the lease.

What a high cost is varies depending upon our personal situations, but if this is a high-cost change I'd have to ask my self if that money was worth the couple of tweaks I'm doing and a new color (a pricey one at that it seems). For me each time I've considered swapping just for color or minor updates I've always balked due to cost. If the cost is low or not a concern, then it could really make sense.

If you didn't already have a damned-nice car my advice would be different.

Good luck!

Thanks for the voice of reason. It's going to cost for sure. It's a concern. I asked for a quote on the build above and I'll see what happens next week as my SA is currently at training.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:50 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Wrap your current car in miami blue, $4000 and you have made a change, but still have your car ( and lower costs)
Old 08-16-2018, 01:51 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
991.2 C2. The engine (torque), chassis, damping and overall refinement improvement is worth the step up. On top of that, the 4WSS--which I wish I had ordered--with cloth inserts is another good reason. Finally the color. Ahem...I like it a lot! I woke up in the night after delivery with color remorse because of its brightness. But decided after an hour worrying, to "own" the color. Two years on and I couldn't be happier with MB. It makes walking into my garage an occasion, let alone driving it. I have had a lot of response over the color. All positive (apparently the haters aren't vocal). Make the leap--in model and color--you won't regret it.

Thanks for the thoughts. I have a 991.2 now (<---), so it's just for the color, seats, and having the last model year. It'll come down to the numbers.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arter
Wrap your current car in miami blue, $4000 and you have made a change, but still have your car ( and lower costs)
That's what I am thinking about, too, but don't know of anybody that has done it here.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

You can order a new one for 6% off so use that number when you are crunching the numbers. But either way you are the only one to decide if a new car is right for you.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:09 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Wrap your car, make a COBB tune and you will be in honeymoon for the next two years.

After two years you can decide about your next step which should be to buy this car as best value for money.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
If you're happy enough with your seats, this may be the best option. I'd wrap it in Meerblau or Brewster Green...those more sophisticated colors will go well with your 19s, and also downplay your black/glass roof. Or maybe there was some other PTS color you like? Very hard to argue with finishing out your lease and then getting a used 911 that you ordered to your liking and have cared for since Day 1 for $65k.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:23 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

You're not likely to get a 718 Spyder at anything close to MSRP if you don't already have yourself gamed into the system. So consider that.

Quick Reply: 911 Decision Time