Sponsored by:

Crazy 50K Service Cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:49 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
My dealer in the SF Bay Area (Rector) Charges around $300ish for an oil Change. Indies in the area are around $200. $80-90 bucks is the oil and the filter.

$500 is a lot assuming all they did was the oil change. Did this include a brake flush too?
No brake flush. I had that done last year.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:57 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

I had my service advisor check my last oil change and it was around the same amount. I guess I was remembering my $280-ish changes in Dallas.

Everything is more expensive in the Bay Area!
Old 08-17-2018, 02:37 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
No brake flush. I had that done last year.
Porsche must have enormous faith in their brake fluids, as they always seem reluctant to flush the fluid. I always do it at least once a year and am surprised at the pushback I get for not doing it every other year.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:55 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 610 Posts

I pay about $300 at my dealer but getting to it on the Targa isn’t worth the effort to me to try it myself, even with a big heated garage and all the tools. I drive it 3k miles or less a year, so just take it up in the Fall and wait while they do it on a day off (but before whitetail bow opens). Nice people and often have some fun cars to stare at.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:43 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

There are several ways to go about oil changes. DIY, Dealer, Indy, Oil Change Stores. I'd rather do it myself because I know that it's going to be done right. My cost is around $90 in parts. I could go to my local dealer with my oil and filter and get one hour of labor at $175 plus a 10% discount as a PCA member. Not all dealers will allow you to bring your own oil and filter and just charge you the labor rate. Living in Miami, unfortunately I don't trust any place where I can't see when the work is being done. I only do oil changes at the dealer when it coincides with another schedule maintenance service. I firmly believe in building a good relationship with the Service Manager and Advisor. I am a loyal client and they appreciate it. If I ever need for the dealer to go out of their way to solve an issue I think I will have a better chance to get a positive response than most.

Not everyone lives in a city where there are 5 dealerships to choose from. I rather pay a little bit more at a local dealership than taking my car to an Indy shop. I feel like I am missing the opportunity to build a relationship with the Porsche brand and a specific dealership. I sleep better at night knowing that if Murphy's Law ever shows up I will have a better chance to get goodwill at my dealership.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:21 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
I took my car in for the 50K service (I'm at 46K, but timewise it's due according to the car.)

This service is minor - an oil change - so I was expecting a bill 250-300. I was surprised to get quoted 500!

Anyone else getting huge bills for simple oil changes?
From what I've found, $400 - $500 is pretty consistent for dealership oil changes on these cars in my area. How much oil does the 991 hold? I'm a DIY type of person and like to handle these type of services when the car is outside of it's warranty.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:07 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

I did it myself and it literally took longer for the oil to drain out than anything. It is very simple. I will continue to do it myself as the horror stories about technicians leaving rags in the engine that catch fire have me paranoid. Save all receipts.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:22 PM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

I normally do it myself but the last oil change coincided with my need to rent a truck to haul building supplies for a house renovation. So I took my 911 to the dealership for the $300 service and got a Cayenne loaner for a day. Done and done.
The following users liked this post:
psiddle (02-16-2021)
Old 08-17-2018, 04:10 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I just had my 2nd service done last week at the dealer. After changing the oil and hvac filters myself, the total was a little over $200 for a brake bleed and general inspection. $500 seems shockingly high for an oil change on one of these.
Years ago I took a Ferrari 355 in on trade for a M-B S-coupe. The Ferrari had 15k miles and was at the dealer getting the corresponding service. The bill was on the seat. $3,500 for the intermediate service!! If I recall correctly the Agip racing oil was around $70/quart.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:58 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

You can do an oil change by yourself. Not difficult at all.

Here's a video I made showing step by step how to do it, along with some tips:

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
Curious Cat (01-11-2023)
Old 08-18-2018, 11:12 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Dealers like to 'up charge'...one guy pays 400 another and another pays 500. Ask them for discount. Between 300-400 is typical. Indy shop is less than 200 and gets my vote (if its a quality shop, they'll do the work better too and not ding up your car). Dealer will give you a loaner is a big plus...must drop off at Indy or wait hours.

I looked at the above video and considered doing it myself, but honestly don't think saving 100 is worth the time and stress. Someone who does it day to day will do it quicker and better too. Oh and you need to reset computer and need tool for that with latest version.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:59 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Here's my guess given OP's location. There are probably enough people in that area that don't have a problem paying $500 for the oil change. Even at that price the shop has all the work they can handle in their current facilities. They have no short-term incentive to price it lower (in the long term they do have to worry about happy repeat buyers).

It comes down to what the market will bear for each particular area. Plus their property taxes there are probably a lot steeper than here in Austin. You gotta pay for those somehow to stay in business.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:55 PM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

I think $500 is a bit much for an oil change. However, I learned a valuable lesson when asking for the "car to be serviced including oil change". I once requested this and returned to a bill of $6XX.00. Porsche service indicated they had inspected, various systems vacuumed out the front intake areas, topped up all fluids checked all filters, cleaned body drains etc. When I commented about the cost he pointed to their board which listed the cost for a routine service (with oil change) at the price he charged. A minor miscommunication cost me $3XX bucks. He offered to discount the work but I felt it was my mistake for not being clear. I do most routine maintenance with the exception of oil. Oil changes at the dealership gives me an opportunity to interact with dealer service and the dealer service team a chance to catch something I may have missed.

Quick Reply: Crazy 50K Service Cost