Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Commissioning a Fuchs-inspired wheel for the 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:08 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Yes, I would like to see a Fuchs style, in 5 lug--and in proper offset for the 991.2 (and preferably with a 19 inch option).
The following users liked this post:
981KMAN (04-13-2020)
Old 08-15-2018, 11:31 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

These are the wheels I would like to see in 991.2 compatible offsets.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU19SCWHEEL.html
Pmorritt (07-30-2020)
Old 08-16-2018, 08:17 AM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

With all the appreciation for “Fuchs style” wheels, I’m surprised that the Otto Fuchs Company doesn’t produce some wheels for the current 911 or why Porsche doesn’t have them make some OEM options. The stock wheels on my M2 are 19” forged two-tone wheels made by Fuchs and they are beautiful (if you like the BMW styles).

If I could get a set of Fuchs CLs for my .2 GTS, I’d buy them.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:13 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Now we get into personal style, but there are probably two camps:

Those who want an a Fuchs style wheel like the one Valvefloat posted
Those who prefer an interpretation of a Fuchs style wheel like the one on Penn4S's 991 Turbo S, the Carrera GT, or 991.2 Speedster concept.

Put me in the latter camp. I can't pin it down, but real 1967-1989 911/912/914-6 Fuchs or "faithful" larger truly Fuchs-style wheels looks wrong to me (no matter how much I may like the wheel itself, which is a lot) on anything newer than 1989—with few exceptions, some Singers being among them.

Of course, someone else will tilt the value equation and prefer the faithful look. And nothing wrong with that...
Old 08-16-2018, 11:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

We have had some disastrous wheel vendors and threads on Rennlist over the years. Hopefully you are selecting a high quality vendor for this commissioned project. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:27 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
We have had some disastrous wheel vendors and threads on Rennlist over the years. Hopefully you are selecting a high quality vendor for this commissioned project. Good luck.
^ Good point.

If I was going to do this, I'd take a real look at Vossen, which cuts its own blanks from forgings. I was on the fence about whether Vossen was a bling company rather than a performance company, but when Champion Motorsport decided to work with them, I saw that as a real vote of confidence from a company that's worked with BBS Motorsport Japan on previous projects. Suspect Vossen could duplicate the factory rears for the five-lug 991 Turbo/Turbo S, but at a size and offset that fits in an NB. Depending on the cost of two factory front wheels, it might be worth doing fronts as well, altering the offset slightly to get rid of the convexity (and the need for spacers). There are others out there who may have this capability, including HRE.

The challenge, as LexVan points out, is making sure this project isn't another disastrous when/vendor thread. Good wheels won't be cheap.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:24 PM
uury
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stout
^ Good point.

If I was going to do this, I'd take a real look at Vossen, which cuts its own blanks from forgings. I was on the fence about whether Vossen was a bling company rather than a performance company, but when Champion Motorsport decided to work with them, I saw that as a real vote of confidence from a company that's worked with BBS Motorsport Japan on previous projects. Suspect Vossen could duplicate the factory rears for the five-lug 991 Turbo/Turbo S, but at a size and offset that fits in an NB. Depending on the cost of two factory front wheels, it might be worth doing fronts as well, altering the offset slightly to get rid of the convexity (and the need for spacers). There are others out there who may have this capability, including HRE.

The challenge, as LexVan points out, is making sure this project isn't another disastrous when/vendor thread. Good wheels won't be cheap.
Agreed -- the manufacturer is Forgeline. And no, they certainly won't be cheap. The thing I like is that the colors, finish, and, to a large extent, size and fitment are customizable on a per-order basis. Here's what I know (from the wholesaler):

Design & Build

19" 20" 21" Diameters and 8"-16" wide at first

Aesthetic

This wheel is to be be a 3 piece wheel designed with a high-tech precision-machined forged 6061-T6 aluminum center available in a wide variety of profiles from flat faced to concave for the wider wheels. The spoke tips will extend to the edge of the barrels similar to the Forgeline AL300 in the AL Series of wheels. These will be able to be spec'd in 5 lug or Porsche specific center lock as well as Forgeline's own Center lock conversion for those not equipped with Center locks from Porsche

Color & Finishes

All colors and finished currently on offer through Forgeline will be available including the 2 tone solid color offerings with machined bare metal pockets.

Pricing & availability

Pricing structure will follow the other wheels in the AL range as far as diameters and widths.

Additionally the 2 tone machined pockets will incur additional costs as well as these are very time consuming processes

Expected costs
$7100-8200 a set depending of colors & options.
4-6 week build time.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:03 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by uury
Agreed -- the manufacturer is Forgeline.

Expected costs
$7100-8200 a set depending of colors & options.
4-6 week build time.

^^ With Forgeline and those price points, it's a winning combo.

I would agree, I do like the more "updated" style as shown on the Turbo S's or something like it. The exact old school design is better suited for those period cars.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:08 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

The 5 lug wheel on Penn's Turbo S had some advantages over the old style Fuchs wheel. Better cooling for the brakes and it is relatively easy to clean the barrels.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:10 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

There are already manufacturers that produce Fuchs-inspired wheels that come in custom sizes, finishes, and configurations.

Rotiform FUC's (seen here - http://wheelsboutique.com/product/fuc/) & Vorsteiner VCS-003's (pictured below) are our best sellers in this genre:

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 08-16-2018, 07:10 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

I would agree, I do like the more "updated" style as shown on the Turbo S's or something like it. The exact old school design is better suited for those period cars.
Each his own of course, but I prefer the original look because it bothers me to see the "petals" extending into the rim area.

Also, the original was such a great piece of design. By taking a flat metal disc and forging it into the five petal pattern, Fuchs gave that piece considerably three-dimensionality, which added stiffness without weight. That such clever engineering also produced an iconic design makes them magic for me.

Of course, the ideal finish is polished rim, black center and polished petal surfaces. The center itself should be neither concave or convex, but simply positioned to provide the appropriate offset.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:51 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

I will be very curious as to what they come up with!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:05 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Those who want an a Fuchs style wheel like the one Valvefloat posted
Those who prefer an interpretation of a Fuchs style wheel like the one on Penn4S's 991 Turbo S, the Carrera GT, or 991.2 Speedster concept.

Put me in the latter camp.
Me too. I’m going to follow up. Ideally a center lock version of the 911-50 wheel (or the Speedster version that would fit) Heaven forbid that Porsche would sell one - considering they designed the friggin thing in the first place !

We shall see.

Last edited by Benedict14; 08-16-2018 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Horrendous grammar. Etc.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:41 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Forged Fuchs rims, Germany

You should check on Otto Fuchs, the originals. I purchased directly from Germany their 997-compatible offsets for my cabriolet. They have designed both 18 and 19-inch rims that work with the 996 and 997 cars. For the 991 I would think they should up-size them to 20s and 21s. Some designs, however, have difficulty being 'stretched' to 20.

The nice thing about Otto Fuchs is that its (1) the real guys, (20 they are truly 'forged' rims, and (3) they have really perfected and still have that wonderful anodization process that reminds me of my 16 inch Fuchs on my Turbo in the 1980s.
paddlefoot64 (08-12-2020)
Old 08-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

here is 2 close ups of my wheels for reference.

Quick Reply: Commissioning a Fuchs-inspired wheel for the 991.2