Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's hear your 991 acquisition story!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:27 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Let's hear your 991 acquisition story!

Here is my story
Im retired and had time to shop. I was looking for a deal on a 991. 1 GTS or 991.2 S or GTS, with the colors and options i wanted, and searched nationwide for it I found very few over time, but came upon a Northeast dealer willing to deal on one. I was offered 19.3% off on a hard loaded CPO 2017 C2S with 176 miles on it, by that dealer 1000 miles away. Then i discovered my local dealer had a new one like it on their website that i had not seen on their lot. It was stored in a warehouse because of their huge expansion project. So i went in with my offer in hand to negotiate. So my SA, with a better trade offer and eliminating the 2 way shipping costs, was able to beat that deal by about $3k. What would i do with that extra money? My mind started working fast and hard.
Suddenly i thought X51 Power Kit...
They were able to match the best sale price I could find on the X51Power Kit (Sunset) along with the lowest installation cost (Suncoast).
I was able to convince wifey because it has PDK, and she wouldn't drive my 2015 manual C2S. Happy wife, happy life!
So I'm now the proud owner of an Endurance Racing Edition, soon to have X51 Power Kit installed, which is exactly what I wanted. "But Honey, that Sport Design Tail would look really nice on it," Honey).
​​​​​​​That's my story. As they sang, "One Thing Leads to Another!"
Old 08-05-2018, 10:48 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Check the link in my sig. too long to post here. Make sure you have some time to read it, it's a doozie!
Old 08-05-2018, 01:13 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Weird... you got a heavily discounted new Endurance Racing Edition?

I wanted to buy a 911 after owning a 981 boxster, but 'its too expensive and you should wait' was holding me back. It was time to replace a car because I needed to get rid of my Golf TDI (170k miles, mostly me and partly wife) as part of the VW diesel scandal. I considered what to replace the car with. I conclude that I should let my wife drive the family SUV and I get the 911 I wanted. I have plenty of extra cash on hand today due to stocks going well and raise/bonus at work...the VW buyout money was a nice push. Its easy to convince yourself to save your money and not buy a sports car...its never a smart thing to do. I was in a position I could actually buy a 911 instead of dreaming about it...what if I didn't have another opportunity later? I was already making more excuses since we had our first baby, why would a later date be any better? Didn't want any regrets.

I didn't want to wait for the 992. Way I see it is every year cars are getting more dull, watered down, and tech heavy. The newer gen will be more expensive and 3+ years out till I'd consider one (wont be QA first model year). The current gen 911 is exactly what I want and perhaps I wont like the new one. And what if I'm no longer in position if buy one in 3 years?

Compared 991.1 to 991.2 back to back. Initially wanted a pristine 2015 GTS because of the noise and familiarity. Gave it some time to settle in to discover that 991.2 was better in all ways for me... faster, more efficient, handles better, steering wheel better, PCM better, bose sounds better, looks better, less drone + more. Being an NA fan, I wanted a less turbo'd base car with all options instead of paying for S. AWD is a requirement for me after scary moments in rainstorms with my 981 and I'm a firm believer in that AWD improves handling in real world driving, so T wasn't considered (and I wanted PDK and plenty of options which is against the nature of a T).

Checked dealer lots and didn't find anything I wanted, so I'd have to order. Configured a C4 exactly how I wanted it to find out found that there were zero C4 allocations, yet a dealer could go through steps to acquire one if I paid nearly MSRP on a highly optioned car that would take a huge depreciation hit because options aren't worth much. This would make it more difficult to finance...budget was a factor because lot money I get is not just from my static day job income, which is all banks care about.

Looked into pre-owned and stumbled upon a private party sale on a 2017 C4S ~6 hours away that was very close to my build. Called the owner and found that the local dealer would handle the sale since he is ordering a new car from them, meaning I could also get CPO warranty. The price was similar to what I could get a C4 for new, yet the used car had plenty more options (also an S). Drove to look at the car (owner graciously paid for the hotel room). Inspected/drove the car in the morning to conclude it was in great shape with nothing obviously wrong and the perf options did make it handle better than a base car. Thought it over when I got home and quickly decided that I'll have less regrets with a loaded S model and this was clearly a better path to take in my situation. Flew back and bought the car a short time later.

Later found that the in-service date was the same day that I had sold my last boxster. 2 months later, loving it with no regrets...after getting 'settled in' the car, I'm glad that I got more power and more perf options because once you get used to it, you push it harder, notice more, and want more. Even with AWD, PDCC, sport PASM, 20 inch wheels, RWS, I can still sense the limit pushing it hard...can totally see myself saying 'should of get the S' if went with a new base. If anything, I'm kinda wanting the power kit from the GTS (the S has sport pack, so its compatible). Maybe eventually...

Last edited by minthral; 08-05-2018 at 02:41 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-05-2018, 01:21 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

I actually really wanted a Cayman. I had placed a deposit on a '06 Cayman S back when they first came out, and then decided to back out as I was just starting a new business at the time, and thought it was perhaps a bad idea to spend so much on a car at that point in my life.

Fast forward to recent times, finally in a comfortable position to do something, but now, Porsche has gone turbo 4 in the Cayman. I test drove one, and sure enough, sounded like a Subaru. I was pretty upset and disappointed that my dream of spec. ordering / Euro delivery of a brand new Porsche was off the table for me.

Then, my wife chimes in and said look, you don't want to get a Cayman anyway, we have two young children now, and you know they'll want to ride in the car... I explained to her this means a 911, and spending quite a bit more. Hit the same brick-wall with the turbo motor. Obviously, the turbo cars are superior from a performance perspective, but when I was younger, I had two S2000's - I loved their high revving nature, and the sound they made. We made the decision that I'd delay the purchase until 2019-2020 given the extra cash I was likely to outlay.

Now, unbeknownst to my wife, but surely appreciated by the majority here, I knew in my mind that there were a handful of options that were "must-haves" and that regardless of delaying the purchase, I'd have to keep my eyes open. Especially here in Canada where there are very few 911's for sale at any given time, and even fewer with a MT. I knew the car must, in my own version of perfection have RWD, MT, PASM, Sport Seats Plus and PSE.

Last August, I happened to stumble upon a 2012.5 model in Ontario that had most of what I wanted, but the front bumper had been drilled for a plate, so I thought I'd shoot them an email to say hey, I'm interested in this car, but is there anything you can do about the bumper, and would you folks entertain installing PSE as part of the purchase? They replied with what my heart wanted to hear (maybe not so much my wallet) - we just received a 2013 that fits your exact description. After what I felt was due-diligence on my part (service records, CPO, vehicle history report), I made the purchase.

I wasn't as educated as I'd like to have been. I didn't realize the door cards delaminate - mine are doing this, hoping to get them warrantied. Would have pressed to have them replaced before purchasing had I known. I wish I would have known about a DME report, but I have to trust that my car hasn't had any serious over-revs, and I comfort myself in knowing the gearing is so ludicrously tall that it probably hasn't had a significant overrev.

Basically, I have my 911 a couple of years ahead of when I expected to, and I'm really glad it worked out. The car is 90% of what I expected it to be, and the other 10% looks to be solvable with a bit of time, money and effort on my part. I've already done some basic things (GT4 shifter, wheel spacers, LED side markers, tinted the windows) - I see the need to disable power steering plus to hopefully dial out the numbness, I need to get those door cards either replaced, or if CPO won't look after them, I'll try to do my own repair. I need to solve the creaky door hinges, the squeaky clutch pedal, and a few other annoyances. The car goes for full paint correction next week to fix all of the BS the previous owners did to the paint, and it goes to the dealer for more inspections re: warranty work.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:33 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw the car ...I made an offer...counter offer...walked away....counter offer...offer accepted.....sent a check...got the car.
Abe
Old 08-05-2018, 08:45 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I wanted a 911, looked for a couple of days and went to see a CPO car in Fremont on a Sunday. On the way back, stopped at Carlsen and saw a new 991.2 GTS just marked down a pretty good amount from MSRP. Bought it on Monday after a token negotiation. From impulse to signing paperwork, about 4 days. Not exactly riveting.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a cars.com alert for blue 911s 2009-2012 because I wanted to get a 997.2 and one showed up at the local dealer 2012 turned out to be 991 not 997 but I bought it anyway.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:23 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

My first Porsche was a brand new 2001 Boxster back in 2000. Loved that car, but as I started taking my kids to pre-school, a two seater was no longer viable. My next one was a new 2004 Cayenne, that I liked a lot. At that time, they were still relatively rare, and was able to fit my whole family. It was a great way to get back into Porsche. Then after several BMW's, I decided to get back to Porsche, and when the Macan GTS was announced, I placed an order right away. I absolutely LOVED the Macan GTS. Much sportier than the Cayenne, great sounding engine/exhaust, and all the performance goodies. But 3 months later a woman rear-ended me at 70 MPH while I was standing still, and the car was totaled. Given how much I liked it, I got another Macan GTS that lasted me 18 months. Now, at the end of 2017 that both my kids were driving, and having their own cars, the possibility of getting back to a true sports car was a real option, so I started contemplating getting my first 911.

My dilemma was that I wanted a "special" 911. Not just any 911. And it was going to be my daily driver, so that ruled out GT3's and such in my mind. So, what to get? I was seriously considering the 50th Anniversary, as it was indeed a special and unique car, or even an Endurance Edition, specially given the deep discounts that were available on them. So I started posting on the Macan Forum what I was thinking, and out of the blue @Yrralis1 (also a member here) suggested I take a look at the upcoming Carrera T. After looking at the specs, I thought: "Special and unique car", check; daily driver, check. Looks, check. Desired options available, check. I was sold.

I called my dealer in December of last year and asked if they had any allocations. They had just ONE allocation, for a March 2018 build. We negotiated a small discount, put down a deposit, and by April of this year I finally got my Carrera T in GT Silver with all the goodies I wanted (Rear Axle Steering, Leather Carrera T interior with red accents, etc.)

Now, after 3 months of ownership and 3,300 miles down, I am absolutely convinced I made the right decision. My favorite car ever. I am in LOVE with this car. I truly makes it an experience starting it and driving it every single day. Something tells me this is going to be my first long term car... ever!
Old 08-05-2018, 10:23 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

First Porsche was 2012 Cayman R in 2013 (bought used from out of state dealer). Loved it. Had many wonderful track and highway miles with it. Since then we’ve had two GT4’s (still have the Agate, sold the yellow) and two Panamera (sold 2015 GTS - fantastic V8, still have 2018 P-4 and getting ready to sell).

Never had a 911 up to this point.

Rewind to 2016 - hubby asked the dealer several times to let us know if we could get a 991.1 RS build slot. Several times we were told “no” - they wouldn’t receive enough allocations and all were spoken for with a long wait list of clients ahead of us. Our dealer is relatively small.

In Oct 2016 after months of being told “no” - they called and said we can order the car BUT - we had to give them the build NOW because the window to configure the car will close any minute. We gave them the build right then & there on the phone. Only took a few minutes. They entered into the system and called back shortly thereafter to tell us it was accepted, and locked within the hour. UV RS with PCCB, LWB and some other goodies. Our first 911! Pretty exciting!

The car delivered late January 2017 and received immediate paint correction, full PPF nose to tail, full ceramic coating including wheels and calipers, and TPC exhaust. It took a couple weeks to complete but the really cool part was that our local region had their mid-winter party at the dealer, and it was the evening of the day the car delivered. So we got to unwrap the car with a bunch of friends and share it with well over 100 people. It made it a very special and memorable delivery - even more than it otherwise would have been. It came home by truck a few weeks later to wait for spring thaw and clean roads.

We took it on some trips and enjoyed it. Did Treffen Asheville and had fun.

We are selling it to a friend and it’ll be gone in a couple weeks. It is a very special car and it’s been a privilege to have it for awhile but we are ready to see it go to the next home.

I will miss the purple paint.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:49 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

My 55th birthday a couple of weeks ago. My wife gives me an envelope and a box. In the envelope is a piece of paper with a white 911 on it - the caption says "life is too short, you work hard, go get your car - love you", in the box is a Porsche travel mug. I searched all over the country, flew to SFO, bought a 2015 991.1 GTS and it is on an enclosed hauler on it's way to me in Florida now - should be here Sunday.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:58 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1GTS
My 55th birthday a couple of weeks ago. My wife gives me an envelope and a box. In the envelope is a piece of paper with a white 911 on it - the caption says "life is too short, you work hard, go get your car - love you", in the box is a Porsche travel mug. I searched all over the country, flew to SFO, bought a 2015 991.1 GTS and it is on an enclosed hauler on it's way to me in Florida now - should be here Sunday.
Congrats! That's a great story.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:44 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

My wife hated my car. So I drove to Porsche and traded it in. Ordered a C4S PSE, SC, RAS, PCCB, PDCC, PowerKit and roof rack. Contrast sticthing and color gages and belts. Now I love owning a Porsche.

not a very exciting story, but an exciting drive.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I spent months hectoring my wife into allowing me to buy another 911 (I sold my 996 Turbo about four years ago). She eventually reluctantly gave her consent. I became obsessed with the Sport Design front end and duck tail. I felt lucky to find a 2013 C4S with all the options I wanted about 800 miles away. So six days ago I flew to Portland with my 7 and 9 year old boys to pick it up and drive it home to Salt Lake City.

Driving home was an amazingly fun bonding experience for me and my boys. They were happy as clams in the back seats. We took the long way home. The car had about 14,500 miles when I bought it, and we put almost a thousand miles on the car in just one weekend.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:19 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

😊 👍

Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
I spent months hectoring my wife into allowing me to buy another 911 (I sold my 996 Turbo about four years ago). She eventually reluctantly gave her consent. I became obsessed with the Sport Design front end and duck tail. I felt lucky to find a 2013 C4S with all the options I wanted about 800 miles away. So six days ago I flew to Portland with my 7 and 9 year old boys to pick it up and drive it home to Salt Lake City.

Driving home was an amazingly fun bonding experience for me and my boys. They were happy as clams in the back seats. We took the long way home. The car had about 14,500 miles when I bought it, and we put almost a thousand miles on the car in just one weekend.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:29 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

My 987 Boxster S was getting old (as was my career). Orchestrating retirement and financing made it possible to go shopping for something new, and for Porsche number 7 I wanted to not only buy new but order with my specs. I started with a focus on a high end Cayman (long term advocate of mid-engines). During a dealer visit I drove a 991 and was reminded just how special all 911s are, and switched. Dealer had an allocation with short time line, so we made the deal, sent in the specs, and 5 months later I went to PEC Atlanta to get my car.

Last edited by bkrantz; 04-13-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Let's hear your 991 acquisition story!