Notices
Sponsored by:

Let's hear your 991 acquisition story!

Old 04-14-2019, 04:31 PM
stevenvillatoro
Addict
Rennlist Member

40-45 years ago, I had various Porsches of the ‘50s-‘70s vintage (see signature below)... but then my car mojo became overshadowed by career and life choices.

I’d read the many great reviews about the new Carrera T in 2018, but had just bought a new BMW M240i that suited my needs very nicely.

By chance, six weeks ago I stumbled across a used ‘19 T with just 144 miles on it, configured to my preferences. “What the fock,” I said to myself, and snatched it up without a moment of rational forethought. And really, it felt like a ‘last chance’ opportunity, since the 992 has absolutely zero appeal to me.

It’s fantastic and surreal to be back in the Porsche family, and finding the same visceral driving pleasures that I enjoyed four decades ago, yet now Řber-modernized.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 04-14-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:45 PM
Jim991
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gave them a lot of money. They gave me the car/
Old 04-14-2019, 05:58 PM
YoungTurk
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^Winner
Old 04-14-2019, 10:38 PM
vodkag
User

The cliff notes version

Sold my 2010 Boxster S with 40k miles last Feb. Want a new car for my 40th bday.

Look at a couple other options ie AMG GT, M4, M6 (i had the v10 b4 the Boxster S) still came back to the 991.1. And i want the .1 NA not the .2

Started shopping for about 2 mos, made a few offers from "far away" dealerships (mostly in FL since I didnt want anything from "snow country") Figured that it was really hard to make an offer when the car is not "local"

Just happened to find one that got all the options I wanted. Except for the PSE which was added after purchase. Car was CPO looks legit, everything checks out, did a little bit of back and forth on the price (which was very reasonable) and took her home after 2.5hrs at the dealership, 8 mos before my 40th bday so it was a lil "early" bday present

Last edited by vodkag; 04-15-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:21 AM
mikeearly
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had my 2013 Boxster S in for service prior to a dealer sponsored track day at VIR in late 2015. After the service as I was getting in the car my SA came out and asked me how things were going. This was about the time of the rumored switch to turbos for all the 911s and I told him if he ever got in a clean 911 S Cab that I might be interested. I knew the turbos would be nice but I really wanted a naturally aspirated flat 6, He got a big smile and said "come see what we got in a couple of days ago". So off I went with him to the back of the service area and was shown an absolutely beautiful (to me) 911 S Cab in midnight blue with less than 3k miles. After a brief negotiation, my Boxster S was no longer mine and I owned my first 911. In the negotiation I tried to get them to refund the money I had just paid for the Boxster service and was not successful but did get them to throw in the track mandated inspection for the 911. My wife thought that I was crazy to make a snap decision like that when it involved quite a bit of money on my part but I absolutely love the car - especially since I've added a few upgrades to make it truly "my car".

Last edited by mikeearly; 04-16-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:30 PM
V999
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim991 View Post
You get the Kimi Raikkonen award for this thread (I mean that as a compliment).
Old 04-15-2019, 12:31 PM
V999
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was contemplating wasting a bunch of time writing up a long, winding, hopefully entertaining and humorous, totally (and obviously) made-up story culminating in my winding up with my 991.2 GTS.

But in truth, my story is pretty basic. I was shopping for an SUV to replace my recently deceased Suburban. Stopped at a local dealership that had Infinity, Mercedes and Porsche all right next to each other. Checked out the QX80 (meh) for a little bit, the Mercedes GLS 450 (luxurious, but too small) for a little bit.

Then wandered into the Porsche dealership and a week or so later, found an allocation for the Porsche and ordered it. Have been mildly obsessed with 911s since the mid 1970s. But I tend to procrastinate on stuff, just a little. Better late than never, I guess.

I still need to get a replacement SUV. But watching gas prices rise, I think I'll wait six months or a year, which might lead to some good deals.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:23 PM
snake eyes
User

Originally Posted by Jim991 View Post
yup,
Drove from oklahoma to Park place LTD in texas - one extra step, gave them keys and title to my 997.2.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:33 PM
Wujohn
User

I had a 10 year-old 3 series and had procrastinated for at least 4 years on buying a different car for myself. Had my eye on a C63 AMG; loved the sound and I could fit 3 additional passengers in it for work purposes. Started looking at 991.1's for the fun of it (used) and ended up lusting after the .2 for its easily usable torque. Still procrastinated (hate spending money) and wife convinced me to go to a Porsche dealer. Walked out the door with a perfectly optioned-brand new car and my wallet a lot lighter. Almost 50 and this is the first new car I have ever purchased - best decision ever...and best wife ever for pushing me to do it.

Now she is asking me what my next car will be after less than 2 years of ownership of my current one. She is a bad influence...
Old 04-15-2019, 03:59 PM
Isle in Dixie
User

In 2017 I had my 2007 997.1 for over a year. I was on my dealershipĺs website looking at inventory when I found a 2017 991.2 with 260 miles on it listed as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle.

I called my salesperson to inquire and he advised that the vehicle was bought by a client who has purchased dozens of cars over the last ten years. The former owner tinted the windows and put PPF on the front. They traded it in for a Japanese make three months after purchasing it. The asking price was 21% less than original sticker price and included a full warranty until 2023 as a Certified Pre-Owned. I gave it a test drive. My dealership gave me $2K less than what I originally paid for my 997.1 that I had bought from them. I drove off the lot with the 991.2. Opportunity knocked. I answered. No regrets.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:05 PM
IXLR8
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was sort of looking but I also have a 993 and a slew of motorcycles, so I wasn't desperate.

But this 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS pops up at the local Porsche dealership. In GT Silver, a 7-peed manual transmission, a slew of factory options ($45,620) and no turbo.

A one-owner car with what....101 miles on it after 3 years and a month. That can't be right. Well it was. I ran my DeFelsko paint thickness gauge over it and plugged my Durametric into the OBD. All fine and no over-revs in any of the six ranges. Sort of what you'd expect. Came with the CPO warranty and another 11 months factory warranty.

Maybe I got lucky as it was the car I wanted back then if I was to by another Porsche.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:57 PM
Airbag997
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought one because race car
Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 AM
Nm2far
User

Had a used 98’ RS60 Spyder (Boxster S) for a year, went to a local cars and coffee that the Porsche dealer was hosting. Wife saw a used CPO 911S, white with beige/black leather interior. “Ohhh, I love this color, Ohh, I love this interior, Ohhh it’s soo much more roomy, Ohhh, look, we can take the grand kids in the back seats”. Decide to sell a couple sport bikes and the RS60 and it’s in range. She has to have that color combo and manual and a glass moonroof if we don’t get a cab. Start searching CPO’s and the config we want is not available, and start rationalizing why pay $$$$ for a car that’s not exactly what we want when for $ more we can just order exactly what we want with a better warranty that starts on delivery. Wife involved in every aspect of choosing options/design. One year later she doesn’t like car, resents cost, too loud, too uncomfortable, never wanted it to begin with
Old 04-16-2019, 08:55 AM
shammerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Went for an oil change with my 2011 4S and came home with the 2015 Targa 4S.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:54 AM
sampelligrino
Addict
Rennlist Member

My latest 991, I was shopping for a 991.1 TurboS when a 50th surfaced for sale exactly how I would have specced it less than a mile away from me at a boutique dealer. Knew of the owner and had seen the car before, figured it was a sign!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: