Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When 370 is enough

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 10:36 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Love this thread, glad it is still going strong.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:43 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

My daily driver is a Ford Fiesta ST that I bought used for $16,000. I have a Stage 1 tune on it producing 215 hp and 248 tq. For a little hatchback that weighs about 2740 lbs. , it’s definitely a blast to drive around town. It’s my urban rally car. I’m happy with the 370 hp of my Carrera T. Maybe when it is out of warranty I will tune it if I feel the need for more power.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:57 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Guaji
My daily driver is a Ford Fiesta ST that I bought used for $16,000. I have a Stage 1 tune on it producing 215 hp and 248 tq. For a little hatchback that weighs about 2740 lbs. , it’s definitely a blast to drive around town. It’s my urban rally car. I’m happy with the 370 hp of my Carrera T. Maybe when it is out of warranty I will tune it if I feel the need for more power.
That's great, I had a Fiesta ST and it is certainly a lesson in "less is more." That car is a riot. I'd drive around with my right foot on the floor and a big grin. Only 200HP but it felt like a lot more due to the turbo torque, similar to the T. Small displacement turbocharged with a flat torque curve. One of my tests for a good, fun car is if it encourages me to drive like an asshat. The Fiesta did that and I had to exercise restraint. I get my T late this week and I hope it does the same! I've had several high HP performance cars and seem to be drawn back to the usable and approachable limits of lower HP cars. Even on the track, in high HP cars, when I request every available HP powering out of a turn, I end up with so much speed that I'd often overcook the next turn, get off the line and take another turn to gather myself, then rinse and repeat. It's not fun, it's actually a lot of work, and I'm not a good enough driver to properly use the HP on the track, and certainly not on the street.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:09 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 572 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Yes, we can get on it with 370 hp more of the time--but far fron all the time. On public roads, any serious flogging of the C2 or C4 can quickly get dangerous or illegal (or both).
Amen to that, bkrantz!

God bless,
TT
Old 12-23-2018, 11:18 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

My DD is an 8yr old 328xi BMW. I love that car and it only has 240HP.
The used M3 I picked up few months ago, 414HP, got me a ticket literally 2 hours later.
The GTS easily pulls 45mph in 1st gear (430HP).
I'm a big believer in "less is more." I can't enjoy these cars on public roads and don't track so what's the point in more horse power?

I would be super happy with a 370HP 911, but the turbo motor and electric steering are entirely different matter.

I'd say invest time and money learning how to better drive the cars you already have rather than to chase HPs.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:26 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
That's great, I had a Fiesta ST and it is certainly a lesson in "less is more." That car is a riot. I'd drive around with my right foot on the floor and a big grin. Only 200HP but it felt like a lot more due to the turbo torque, similar to the T. Small displacement turbocharged with a flat torque curve. One of my tests for a good, fun car is if it encourages me to drive like an asshat. The Fiesta did that and I had to exercise restraint. I get my T late this week and I hope it does the same! I've had several high HP performance cars and seem to be drawn back to the usable and approachable limits of lower HP cars. Even on the track, in high HP cars, when I request every available HP powering out of a turn, I end up with so much speed that I'd often overcook the next turn, get off the line and take another turn to gather myself, then rinse and repeat. It's not fun, it's actually a lot of work, and I'm not a good enough driver to properly use the HP on the track, and certainly not on the street.
The ST definitely brings out the juvenile in me! It is fun to drive in boost, hear the turbo blow off and the slightly more aggressive Cobb exhaust. The stage 1 tune is just enough since it’s front wheel drive. In the Carrera I feel more responsible and grown up and wait to have enough room on the road to flog it “responsibly”. Look forward to your first impressions of the T.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:21 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

You're telling me! I think 350 (at least in a 3K ish lb package) is plenty.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:26 AM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
The used M3 I picked up few months ago, 414HP, got me a ticket literally 2 hours later.
I'm a big believer in "less is more." I can't enjoy these cars on public roads and don't track so what's the point in more horse power?

I would be super happy with a 370HP 911, but the turbo motor and electric steering are entirely different matter.

I'd say invest time and money learning how to better drive the cars you already have rather than to chase HPs.
Your .1 has electric steering. I would agree bettering your driving skills pays off much more than HP.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:58 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JustBud
Your .1 has electric steering. I would agree bettering your driving skills pays off much more than HP.
I am painfully aware of that. In my opinion, it is the single biggest letdown of the entire car. Wish I could rip out the hydraulic unit from the M3 and install it in the GTS so I finally STFU!
Old 12-24-2018, 11:18 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bemo

The steering in the .2 does lack some feedback but overall I'd have to say it's sublime. Regarding the motor, it's sublime, too. So far I've detected no turbo lag (in fairness, I'm still limited to 4,000 rpm for break-in) and it makes plenty of good noises. Actually, according to the boost gauge, there is little or no turbo boost in normal driving.

God bless,
TT
Old 12-24-2018, 11:22 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Slow car fast is by far the most fun on the street and canyons in SoCal.
My gt3rs is the least fun street car
964 hot rod and spyder are the most fun
Old 12-24-2018, 02:09 PM
RedBridge
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "370 is enough" sentiment really fits for me.

I just picked up my first Porsche - a 2017 991.2 Carrera. I love it. For me, this was the right intersection of "fast and fun" but it's not so special that I feel bad putting roof racks and my surfboard on it. Some of the other options I was considering in the same price range felt too special, and less daily. That said, I still want to add a 964 and a 2020 GT4 to the garage eventually. 3 is enough, right?
Old 12-24-2018, 02:48 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I think whatever makes you happy is what you should drive, brand, hp, engine type, coupe or cab, etc........
But I do have to laugh when I see how this forum was reacting over the last 10 years and bellyaching about how other brands Corvette, GTR, fill in the blank we're beating Porsche in the HP and TQ department. Too small HP increases in new model years, not enough low end torque, yada, yada, yada,.....
Same forum and some of the same guys now can't figure out what to do with 370hp, 330 Lb's of TQ. I am not belittling the conversation just see it as somewhat of a huge contradiction from previous gripes about Porsche HP.
One of my favorite early cars were the 2 Triumph TR6's I had in the 70's, 100hp, 117 lb's of TQ. Thought those 2 cars were magical. Does that mean I will trade my TTS for a 370 base, not likely. It's 2019, it's not only about what we need it's about what we can have. Wife, kids, home, savings, etc... for God's sake this is a Porsche forum.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:57 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I think whatever makes you happy is what you should drive, brand, hp, engine type, coupe or cab, etc........
But I do have to laugh when I see how this forum was reacting over the last 10 years and bellyaching about how other brands Corvette, GTR, fill in the blank we're beating Porsche in the HP and TQ department. Too small HP increases in new model years, not enough low end torque, yada, yada, yada,.....
Same forum and some of the same guys now can't figure out what to do with 370hp, 330 Lb's of TQ. I am not belittling the conversation just see it as somewhat of a huge contradiction from previous gripes about Porsche HP.
One of my favorite early cars were the 2 Triumph TR6's I had in the 70's, 100hp, 117 lb's of TQ. Thought those 2 cars were magical. Does that mean I will trade my TTS for a 370 base, not likely. It's 2019, it's not only about what we need it's about what we can have. Wife, kids, home, savings, etc... for God's sake this is a Porsche forum.
Thanks, Penn4S. Some of us are just so ecstatic about our base Carreras and Ts that we want to tell the world about it. Nothing against the TTs, Ss, GTSs or GT cars.

God bless,
TT
Old 12-24-2018, 03:59 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Slow car fast is by far the most fun on the street and canyons in SoCal.
My gt3rs is the least fun street car
Same here.

Quick Reply: When 370 is enough