Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When 370 is enough

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 03:50 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Stout, glad you posted this. I have enjoyed reading through the posts on this thread and then, all of a sudden,...it's not fun anymore.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

This is a great forum, just get the odd guy with a sharp pin on balloon day
Old 08-07-2018, 03:56 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I've had a few high performance cars but also had
  • 3 Fiat Spiders
  • 1 MGB
  • 1 TR6
  • 1 Spitfire 4
  • 3 Miatas
My fun level was not determined by how many horses or how much torque they had. Let me assure you that not all drivers/enthusiasts require high performance and fastest off-the-line for fun, nor does more equal better. These were all incredibly fun cars on the backroads. In fact, I am thinking of adding a MGB back in the mix. I also confess to looking at 2.7 liter Caymans again as I regret having turned in my 2016. That car was such a joy to make it scream.

But to each their own, right? Some like the gas pedal, some like the steering wheel, some like to shift gears, some like to cruise, some like to push it hard all the time. Why denigrate a post with boorish remarks? It's so easy to do when hiding behind an avatar and screen name.
Fully agree with you. Which reminds me of a BMW E30 M3 I used to own and wish I had kept it. That was just 4 cylinder and was purely a drivers' car. Nowadays you seldom see it on public roads due to its high collectors' status.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:33 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by vtrich
Stout, glad you posted this. I have enjoyed reading through the posts on this thread and then, all of a sudden,...it's not fun anymore.
Originally Posted by Mumbles
This is a great forum, just get the odd guy with a sharp pin on balloon day
Yep. par for the course hereabouts, guess some folks just can't help themselves.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator

What’s depressing is to see what you see on RL and then realize that it represents a slice of society considerably more educated and wealthy than the average. Imagine how nasty it gets on the Crown Vic forums!
Don't necessarily think less education or wealth means less tolerance. The vitriol that spews here at times could just be the by product of entitlement.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:27 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator

What’s depressing is to see what you see on RL and then realize that it represents a slice of society considerably more educated and wealthy than the average. Imagine how nasty it gets on the Crown Vic forums!

What a wonderful laughter inspiring thought !!! Thanks!!
Old 08-07-2018, 06:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by vtrich

Thanks, and I've enjoyed the vast majority of the posts/thoughts here too—so let's leave the pettiness or anything that gets into talking about each other behind and get back to the reason we're all here: the cars.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:12 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Those that claim 370HP is not enough either can't drive and need lessons or, worse, should not drive at least not on public roads!

So much bench racing going on in this thread makes me want go for a drive.
Should I go with:
1. 240HP
2. 300HP
3. 414HP
4. 430HP

It's a rhetorical question that need not be answered as I love to drive and each option is more than enough! Because I'm not a professionally trained race driver who spends 99.999% on public roads and either of the above is "more car" than I need...and my upper brain is still larger than the lower. I pity those with an inverted ratio!
Old 08-07-2018, 07:30 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Chris Harris could outdrive and out-enthusiast everyone here and he loves puttering around in his 2CV. Some cars are just great fun and it has a lot more to do with how everything comes together and feels perfect than raw speed.

Have you guys ever driven a RHD manual? It’s a hoot just because everything about it feels so wrong but yet almost normal.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

The confirmation bias in this thread is strong.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
These threads are why I get exhausted with Rennlist sometimes. I think that these threads may come across as a need to rationalize or justify ones purchasing decision to many.

If anything has been apparent on this forum, NO ONE will ever agree that the car they purchased is anything less than perfect. 991.1 vs 991.2, Base vs. T vs. GTS; so debating regarding model specific attributes or advantages never results in anything other than an argument.
These topics always start with the best intentions and then end up with jabs, insults and borderline bickering. What were we even talking about in the first place again...? Oh right, we all love our cars!
You're just wrong, and missing a lot of subtleties in cars (and life I bet). Must be nice to think you're 100 right and then to know what others think and what motivates them too! Wow.

I bought a 997 GT3 as I thought it was the perfect 911. I was wrong and lost some cash there.
I bought a 997.2 cab thinking that was the perfect combo. Nope wrong car again, for me
I could go on.

Pete and others here have owned/driven a lot of cars, and are sharing very valid perspective. But if you know it all you miss that.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Don't necessarily think less education or wealth means less tolerance. The vitriol that spews here at times could just be the by product of entitlement.
^^ this. And a distinct lack of maturity.

Street pull vs race, seriously? Who cares. This board at times proves that more money does not mean anything but more money.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:28 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
You're just wrong, and missing a lot of subtleties in cars (and life I bet). Must be nice to think you're 100 right and then to know what others think and what motivates them too! Wow.

I bought a 997 GT3 as I thought it was the perfect 911. I was wrong and lost some cash there.
I bought a 997.2 cab thinking that was the perfect combo. Nope wrong car again, for me
I could go on.

Pete and others here have owned/driven a lot of cars, and are sharing very valid perspective. But if you know it all you miss that.
My post wasn't a personal attack on anyone, it was a comment regarding the outcome of a thread teasing the superiority of one model over another. Nothing more. You've obviously not seen any of the content of my contributions to this forum. I usually stay far away from threads like this, unfortunately I made the mistake of offering my opinion on a public forum.

In your post calling me out for my indiscretion you've managed to call me outright wrong and get 3 jabs in on me. Perhaps one day I can learn to insult as efficiently as you.

Congratulations. You've clearly proven yourself the bigger man.. just in case you missed that.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:44 PM
rcristobal
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
^^ this. And a distinct lack of maturity.

Street pull vs race, seriously? Who cares. This board at times proves that more money does not mean anything but more money.
More like PTSD (Porsche Testosterone Syndrome Disorder).
Old 08-07-2018, 08:46 PM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a chance to drive the Alfa 4C today.

Wow. Just Wow. Visceral, go-cart connection.

Only 237hp but tons more fun to drive than my 991 C2 and even 996 GT3 and 991 GT3 I've driven.

Quick Reply: When 370 is enough