Sponsored by:

When 370 is enough

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 12:19 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd

I was at the dealership waiting for my car. I was sitting in the beautiful waiting room. There was an elderly woman sitting in the chair across from me. I assumed that she was there with somebody. The service guy pulled up 991.2 C2S In racing yellow. The woman gets up and gets into the car and drives off. I asked the service guy if that was her car. He said yes. Her and her husband have had 4 911s in the last 10 years. They each only one. I was amazed. It is something I aspire to.
When you say "elderly", how old would you estimate her to be? I'm curious about perceptions of "elderly", and the meanings we make of them. Much of our perceptions depend upon our own ages, of course, but also the meanings we generally make of age and aging in our Western culture. I am what is politically-correctly termed an "older adult" (although personally I'm not a stickler), and the aging process is quite an adventure. (I recall being told when I bought my first Corvette that the average age of a Corvette buyer was 53.)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:27 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

"Assuming that's so at the track(s) you've visited -- so what does that mean? That 70-year-olds don't like to experience powerful acceleration, high speed and fine handling?"

LOLOLOL
Old 08-06-2018, 12:30 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
When most of us were younger, speed was precious. It was hard to come by, and with carbon-fouled spark plugs and compromised carburetors, still harder to keep. We learned to always take "more speed" whenever it was made available.

Today, speed is a cheap commodity. Many Accords will outsprint a '67 911S.

But somewhere we've decidedly lost much of the flavor.

You, sir, have taste and found some flavor in that 370hp.

I think this is why our 185hp 911SC is every bit as enjoyable as our 400hp C4S (well, aside from the lack of ventilated seats!)
You sir, speak the truth.

It took me 5 911s to find my personal sweet spot. The proof is, I don't want to get out of the car - I just want to keep driving.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
You sir, speak the truth.

It took me 5 911s to find my personal sweet spot. The proof is, I don't want to get out of the car - I just want to keep driving.

I've logged almost 4,000 miles in the last month. I love my C2.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:01 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Stout - agreed on all counts. I should have been clearer that, according to my personal preferences I would choose an NA motor. Some prefer turbos and the fact that we have choices is a wonderful thing.
Hell I'd get a turbo 911 in a heartbeat if the alternative was a hybrid or a full electric appliance, those days are fast approaching and there's no escape.
I stepped back in time and got the 2013 M3, for a new turbo M money, precisely due to the NA/HPAS combo. Soon I will no longer have that option and wanted to enjoy it while I could.
We'll always have a 911 in the garage, either NA or turbo but never a hybrid or electric.

All the best
Bemo
Greater clarity on Bemo than ever, and I'm the way about MT you are about NA. When the stick shifts go away, my personal interest dies. Period. It's not something that is necessarily explainable to—or true for—someone else. It justis.

Cheers,

pete
Old 08-06-2018, 01:53 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I've logged almost 4,000 miles in the last month. I love my C2.
^ Living my dream.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:06 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

I got by with 282 HP for years. And 208 before that. I'd kill to have either one of those cars back. And I guarantee they'd put a smile on anyone's face.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Also that T video is just a pure driving video. His full T video launched today...a comparison between the T and the GT3 T. He had good things to say about the T other than it was too quiet.

Last edited by hacker-pschorr; 08-07-2018 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Removing back & forth with posts now deleted
Old 08-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
As soon as we try to unpack that feeling I had the other evening, and have now had many times over 10,000 miles, we start applying charts, considering torque (and rightly so), etc. In other words, we pursue the "why." It's in us. In me. In you. I skipped all that with my post and just wanted to share that feeling, that moment of clarity between two corners: "Do I want or need more than this?" And for me, the answer was, "No." The package felt fabulous
This to me is the "magic" that Porsche creates...it's hard to quantify but some cars have it more than others. And there are a lot of models that do it, for different moments in time and place. Watch Chris Harris drive the 981.1 GTS - he's heard to say "you just don't need any more" . And he's driven them all!

It's why I am staying put with my meager 991.1 400 hp - its about the balance in the handling, gearing, sports exhaust...etc.

I definitely would enjoy romps in a 991 GT3 but really you can't enjoy the magic in that care where I live except for track days. Been there paid to find that out with my 997.1GT3

Now once I move some day the "fit for purpose" equation may change...

I know it's a sign of advancing maturity, so no need to point that out
Old 08-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

I can understand Pete’s point. Sometimes what you want out of the car is to be able to wring its neck a bit. Can’t do that too often even with a base Carrera or T. There is definitely appeal there.

Last edited by hacker-pschorr; 08-07-2018 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Cleaning up the thread
Old 08-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree 100% with Pete. I went down this long path and thought hard about this very topic many times and the reality is, the 9A2 engines are phenomenal in any trim. The Base 370HP engine is incredible as has been stated time and time again by many on this forum, press reviews, amateur reviews on YouTube, etc.

I can't tell you how happy and content I am with my T - the car is fast and very satisfying to drive. Anyone that tries to pull the "you couldn't afford X or you're just trying to justify your power level" card ... has no idea what they're talking about and has probably never even driven a Base to begin with. It's incredible how HP figures and Ego are tied together (for some).
Old 08-06-2018, 04:22 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

These threads are why I get exhausted with Rennlist sometimes. I think that these threads may come across as a need to rationalize or justify ones purchasing decision to many.

If anything has been apparent on this forum, NO ONE will ever agree that the car they purchased is anything less than perfect. 991.1 vs 991.2, Base vs. T vs. GTS; so debating regarding model specific attributes or advantages never results in anything other than an argument.

These topics always start with the best intentions and then end up with jabs, insults and borderline bickering. What were we even talking about in the first place again...? Oh right, we all love our cars!
Old 08-06-2018, 04:56 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
These threads are why I get exhausted with Rennlist sometimes. I think that these threads may come across as a need to rationalize or justify ones purchasing decision to many.

If anything has been apparent on this forum, NO ONE will ever agree that the car they purchased is anything less than perfect. 991.1 vs 991.2, Base vs. T vs. GTS; so debating regarding model specific attributes or advantages never results in anything other than an argument.

These topics always start with the best intentions and then end up with jabs, insults and borderline bickering. What were we even talking about in the first place again...? Oh right, we all love our cars!
Amen brother... that's what I'm saying. Way I see it is the OP clearly want to justify himself. My question is why??? The answer is he has doubts. Most people like more power... some people like less. OKAY.

Its not just rennlist where people post to justify their way... its all forums. "I bought X model its the best" is the common trend in forums. No need to hide it because its in plain sight.

Its kind of like 14 vs 18 way seats. 18 ways fit you better, 14 ways fit me better, the fat guy can't get comfortable in either, and the poor guy took what came with the car and is happy with it. Does someone need to post which one is best?

My personal opinion is the Porsche that cost the most is the best one. I'd never go out and willingly buy a cheaper one then post on forums why I think its better. I know I bought what I bought because its what I can afford. MOST people will agree they'd rather have a GT3 than a base cayman (including the guy driving the cayman). Yes some willingly get the slower cheaper car because they truly want it, but that's rare...enthusiasts that have plenty of other cars or want a toy to play with. Its difficult for me to understand someone test driving an S or GTS and saying 'nonono too much power too much lag boring!' then running to a base car that fundamentally drives similar, yet slightly worse and has slightly less power. The S/GTS doesn't have THAT much power... you can ring it out plenty easy just like a base, but everything just happens faster with more G force.

Last edited by minthral; 08-06-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-06-2018, 09:48 PM
rjf
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD

Perhaps slightly off-topic - but I’ll readily admit that I’m, unfortunately, not all that pleased with my ‘18 M2. Everyone seems to love it ... I’m just not there. So at least for me, I made a purchase which is not perfect.

😬
Old 08-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Matt’s vids provide an opportunity for me to see and hear the car. That’s all. His opinions vary, and he seems to contradict himself from one week to the next.

I don’t think he’s a good car reviewer and his advice on buying a new Aston Martin Vantage a couple years ago because it’s low risk of depreciation made me spit up some beer.

Quick Reply: When 370 is enough