Sponsored by:

When 370 is enough

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 11:01 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Pete- I think you should drive one with our flash and see how you like it. You might change your mind

-Mitch
Oh, it's possible. Been watching the threads on Cobb's tune with interest, and suspect a tune with the standard Carrera's turbochargers is probably more up my alley than the S/GTS units or aftermarket turbos. I very much like the light-pressure nature of the 370hp engine...so if the stock powerband's "NA" character is maintained with more power, I can see where that would be a sweet setup—possibly more appealing to me than a factory or modded S or GTS.

Originally Posted by Randy M
I may be interested after I get my T. Warranty is an issue however. Do have any sort of agreements with dealers etc?
To be perfectly honest, this and a level of "wait and see how the early adopters do with some time and miles" are the only things that would stop me from doing a Cobb tune if I wanted or needed more power.

Cobb has earned the respect of a lot of enthusiasts across a number of platforms, and I suspect it has done this through an intelligent approach to turbo tuning. They are one of the few I would consider allowing into the ECU or other areas of a new Porsche that's mine. All too easy to get into a sticky situation...

Originally Posted by Booost
Or even better a custom E85 tune or upgraded turbos like the big boys are doing.

The OP's premise is silly. How old is he? 70? Nobody hops into a GTS and wishes for a base car.

Somebody tell Porsche they gave the GT2 RS too much power.
Sticky, is that you?
Old 08-03-2018, 11:05 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

The OP's premise is silly. How old is he? 70?
And your point about being 70 is....what? Please do explain.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:13 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't see a lot of 70 year olds at the track.
Assuming that's so at the track(s) you've visited -- so what does that mean? That 70-year-olds don't like to experience powerful acceleration, high speed and fine handling?
Old 08-03-2018, 11:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

From this thread, posts 134 and 135
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1077...l#post15189398

Two new Rennlist users (or is it just one?) with single-digit post counts, discussing Cobb’s “canned tunes” and BoostAddict’s claimed ¼-mile record.

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Not sure what TiAL's will cost, but there's also mcchip-DKR and TPC Racing with turbocharger upgrades available. I'm sure there will be even more options as the aftermarket ramps up. The X51 kit with bolt-ons and a Cobb tune on a base would probably be the best bang for your buck. Although with larger aftermarket turbos, I'd go with a C4 instead of a C2 to put the power down.

Also, Cobb tuned one of the TiAL turbo 991.2's so maybe there will be a canned tune available for those turbos at some point?
There's two tunes for the Tial turbos.

Cobb's is pretty mild (as their canned tunes usually are) and BoostAddict currently holds the US1/4 mile trap record.

I hear Cobb doesn't want to run the other tune.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,771 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Or at least, it's enough for me in this car.

It's a funny thing, but the other evening I was out for a quick romp in the woods before the sun got too low and, corner to corner, I found myself not only sated by the thrust and pace of a "mere" Carrera, but wondering if I needed or even wanted more power. And the answer was...no.

This is funny to me because I drive all sorts of cars and have gotten used to 500-750 hp, and even 900 hp. Don't get me wrong...I like power when I have it under foot—but I find that the character of the engine matters far more to me: the way it makes its power, and how that power output ties into everything else about the car. The grip. The handling. The brakes. Etc. And that evening, as the air cooled (but was still warm) in those woods, this "mere" Carrera was a very, very sweet package.

That is all.
I'm curious if you would feel the same way if the T had the 9A1 engine (and made, for the sake of discussion, the same total HP and TQ)?
Old 08-03-2018, 11:48 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I'm curious if you would feel the same way if the T had the 9A1 engine (and made, for the sake of discussion, the same total HP and TQ)?
I'm curious, too. But it would be hard to find out. Even in a perfect world, where you could match the 3.0's peak hp & peak tq with an NA 9A1 flat six, I can't see how you'd match the tq curve of the turbo 3.0 with an NA flat six, even a 3.8. That's gonna have knock-on effects in how you use chassis grip, etc. and change the user experience. Both cars were developed as complete packages, but my sense is that a 991.2 Carrera or Carrera T chassis would be very nice with an NA 9A1 engine. No bad ingredients there.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:51 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

We all know post count, namely on RL, equals tuning knowledge. It's one of Newton's laws right?

Your alcohol content analogy simply doesn't work. Maybe it needs a few more posts?

Regardless, while the base car can be satisfying it is capable of much, much more than the factory gives you. I've never seen a wine change its alcohol content once uncorked.
I kinda like the wine analogy. Plenty of people can simplify judgement to one parameter, especially if they can quote one number.

As for 70 year olds, some of them have done more crazy and amazing stuff than you will ever do. And the fact they survived it means they might know things worth learning about.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:07 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
I may be interested after I get my T. Warranty is an issue however. Do have any sort of agreements with dealers etc?
you can buy GIAC tune through your dealer and if you read your Warranty booklet, it states the cars and any component installled by dealer are warranted by Porsche North America.

Stout: I agree with you on your original post. The hp and torque makes the base motor plenty of fun.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:50 AM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Oh, it's possible. Been watching the threads on Cobb's tune with interest, and suspect a tune with the standard Carrera's turbochargers is probably more up my alley than the S/GTS units or aftermarket turbos. I very much like the light-pressure nature of the 370hp engine...so if the stock powerband's "NA" character is maintained with more power, I can see where that would be a sweet setup—possibly more appealing to me than a factory or modded S or GTS.

To be perfectly honest, this and a level of "wait and see how the early adopters do with some time and miles" are the only things that would stop me from doing a Cobb tune if I wanted or needed more power.

Cobb has earned the respect of a lot of enthusiasts across a number of platforms, and I suspect it has done this through an intelligent approach to turbo tuning. They are one of the few I would consider allowing into the ECU or other areas of a new Porsche that's mine. All too easy to get into a sticky situation...

Sticky, is that you?
I see what you did there.....
Old 08-04-2018, 01:23 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,771 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I'm curious, too. But it would be hard to find out. Even in a perfect world, where you could match the 3.0's peak hp & peak tq with an NA 9A1 flat six, I can't see how you'd match the tq curve of the turbo 3.0 with an NA flat six, even a 3.8. That's gonna have knock-on effects in how you use chassis grip, etc. and change the user experience. Both cars were developed as complete packages, but my sense is that a 991.2 Carrera or Carrera T chassis would be very nice with an NA 9A1 engine. No bad ingredients there.
I have a feeling that the 9A2 is a better engine for T than the 9A1 would be.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:57 AM
GTSdds
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the premise of the OPs post and the simple statement that 370hp is enough...it was for me when I drove a carreraT(-the first 991 id driven since a .1 black edition). 370 in that car-which was great loking and felt awesome on a mildly spirited test drive..And then I drove a .2 S. And then I built a GTS on the configurator and compared cost vs. options & 450hp avail on the GTS.
Bottom line for me was 370 was plenty and a great effort by stuttgart, but 450 was within reach.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:15 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Stout if you look at the curves (power and torque), the current "base" and T develop more power up to ~ 5500RPM than the Series 1 991 GT3 and GT3 RS

Another way of looking at it is for 75% of its rev range it out pulls the the Series 1 GT cars - hence a big part of the fun.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:59 AM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 years ago I never would have gone for a „base“ Porsche sportscar (regardless whether Carrera or Boxster) and that had nothing to do with snobbery or the sheer lust for HP - I simply missed the low end torque for daily driving. When I ordered the T some buddies where kidding me: nowadays 370 horses is nothing, you will be a „victim“ on the Autobahn etc. etc.....After doing 1,200 Autobahn km this week (with crazy outside temps around the 40°C mark) I can happily report that even there the 370 horses are enough :-) I think the mere HP number is not indicative for whether people feel what is „enough“. To me it‘s the „character“ of the engine and the whole package what counts and in this respect the base engine with the small turbos mated with the right suspension and transmission is a gem. Having said that some extra power always is tempting (we have this saying: „to have is better than to need“), but I would not go for a tune if this would negatively affect the character of this engine (namely the responsiveness). Actually techart just announced a tuning kit for the T with a mild engine tune (430 hp / 520 nm) accompanied by a new exhaust (looking a bit goofy with 4 exhaust pipes) - seems to address the offering gap of the „Werksleistungssteigerung“ available from the factory for the S models only.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:19 AM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Amazing, the T was breathing down the GT3's neck.
Precisely my point, and I believe it's Pete's point as well. If 130 extra HP amounts to to .3-.4 advantage on a twisty course like Monza, how much of that can realistically be put to proper use on public roads and many US road courses? Apparently, not much. It speaks volumes about the torque characteristics of the base motor, it's light weight, chasis and suspension tuning. Bravo Porsche. Bravo.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:19 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Porsche have always been smart with how they engineer feel and performance - most modern performance cars are fast, however its the delivery that marks the distinction - for example in the current line up Porsche have used both gearing and torque to define the line up - its worth considering the following in terms of difference in applied force at the contact patch relative to the base model (in third gear, percentage difference to base, the accelerative force relative to the base) - in other words acceleration.

Base
T = 4.4%
S = 16.0%
GTS = 27.6%
GT3 = 28.4%

As you can see the differences are quite large, and well evident on track, where one does two things, brake and accelerate.

Quick Reply: When 370 is enough