Sponsored by:

When 370 is enough

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 01:55 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I think whatever makes you happy is what you should drive, brand, hp, engine type, coupe or cab, etc........
But I do have to laugh when I see how this forum was reacting over the last 10 years and bellyaching about how other brands Corvette, GTR, fill in the blank we're beating Porsche in the HP and TQ department. Too small HP increases in new model years, not enough low end torque, yada, yada, yada,.....
Same forum and some of the same guys now can't figure out what to do with 370hp, 330 Lb's of TQ. I am not belittling the conversation just see it as somewhat of a huge contradiction from previous gripes about Porsche HP.
One of my favorite early cars were the 2 Triumph TR6's I had in the 70's, 100hp, 117 lb's of TQ. Thought those 2 cars were magical. Does that mean I will trade my TTS for a 370 base, not likely. It's 2019, it's not only about what we need it's about what we can have. Wife, kids, home, savings, etc... for God's sake this is a Porsche forum.
I wasn’t on RL back then, but I dunno, to me 911’s were always supposed to be lower powered cars, even the Turbo’s have less power than competitors, albeit immensely powerful, and roasts cars with tons more power. That’s the charm and bragging right of the car. Less paper power, better drive, and to the frustration of Vette guys who only know these cars by what they read; frustration that they (911’s) still always win in comparison tests.

The 991.1’s and 991.2’s both run faster times than cars with immensely more power. That’s Porsche’s entire M.O: Healthier horses. “Less is more” approach netting magical results, showcasing how holstically, efficiently and perfectionistly they’re engineered. The whole “perfected for 50+ years” thing. I personally never wanted nor want to see 911 Carrera’s become 500 HP muscle cars with barn burner torque. It’s already too close with the S’s as it is, IMO. Just loses the secret sauce formula when they have to chase eneryone in the power/torque game.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:15 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Well said and don't disagree now that the cars do have the oomph they have long needed in some forms. I am lucky enough to have owned over a dozen so I have seen great improvement in TQ which is really what was missing in earlier cars.
This has become my car of choice. I don't see me ever choosing another to drive if they keep making cars I trust to drive every day and not worry about it breaking down or parts falling off and it maintains that thrill it is to drive. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:39 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 572 Likes on 391 Posts

Well said and don't disagree now that the cars do have the oomph they have long needed in some forms. I am lucky enough to have owned over a dozen so I have seen great improvement in TQ which is really what was missing in earlier cars.
This has become my car of choice. I don't see me ever choosing another to drive if they keep making cars I trust to drive every day and not worry about it breaking down or parts falling off and it maintains that thrill it is to drive. Merry Christmas.
A merry and blessed Christmas to all of us fortunate enough to experience these great cars and, perhaps especially, to all who are not so fortunate.

God bless,
TT
Old 12-25-2018, 12:33 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 ... Nice sentiments.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:39 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
A merry and blessed Christmas to all of us fortunate enough to experience these great cars and, perhaps especially, to all who are not so fortunate.

God bless,
TT
Agreed.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:10 PM
J**2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed.
+1
Old 12-26-2018, 11:27 AM
fabripagio
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by alex_c
Hahaha.

I forgot, pics or didn't happen...

Attachment 1297745

Yes, that's me 47 years ago...
Hi Alex, short question , the Miura had italian EE plates , that means Escursionista Estero , that's why your related picked up in Italy , drove around for a while and than brought over ?? look to me like a export model
I hope you know that , that make me so curios !!
Old 12-26-2018, 12:13 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by fabripagio
Hi Alex, short question , the Miura had italian EE plates , that means Escursionista Estero , that's why your related picked up in Italy , drove around for a while and than brought over ?? look to me like a export model
I hope you know that , that make me so curios !!
Wow, I had no idea what the EE meant on those plates!

I know my uncle ordered the car, but picked it up in the US and drove it to Mexico City (that's where the picture was taken) before getting his Mexican plates.

I will ask my uncle for more details.

I just remember the commotion caused when he pulled up to the curb to pick me up after school in that car. Felt like a rock star!
Old 12-26-2018, 02:12 PM
fabripagio
Rennlist Member

The mistery growing up , the plates are 100% italian , between the numbers and the EE , you can see logo with the star and the leaves means the property of the state ( because in Italy we are no the owner of the plates , once canceled we have to give back , or go to police and declare we lost ..... )

so maybe at the time was hard to order direct to Italy , and some good guy did the service to take overseas , I'm not sure about officials Lamborghini service in USA , maybe to export as private was easer put the EE plates , drive to the harbour or airport and do the export papers , for the americans citizen was very easy life in Italy at the time , american was like good rich blond guys , all the lights were green .....

maybe was your uncle working in Mexico for an embassy ?? maybe he ordered thru Italian Embassy to get even quicker ?? !!
Old 12-26-2018, 04:56 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by fabripagio
The mistery growing up , the plates are 100% italian , between the numbers and the EE , you can see logo with the star and the leaves means the property of the state ( because in Italy we are no the owner of the plates , once canceled we have to give back , or go to police and declare we lost ..... )

so maybe at the time was hard to order direct to Italy , and some good guy did the service to take overseas , I'm not sure about officials Lamborghini service in USA , maybe to export as private was easer put the EE plates , drive to the harbour or airport and do the export papers , for the americans citizen was very easy life in Italy at the time , american was like good rich blond guys , all the lights were green .....

maybe was your uncle working in Mexico for an embassy ?? maybe he ordered thru Italian Embassy to get even quicker ?? !!

I'm impressed! You really know your stuff... Yes, an embassy was involved in the purchase. In fact, that was the ONLY way you could import such a vehicle into Mexico at the time... And indeed also one of the reasons for being able to get one of these cars.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:35 PM
fabripagio
Rennlist Member

thank's a lot for the kind answer, is very nice to get some nice tales and put together pieces ,

so your family was from USA , but at the time were in Mexico ?
do you know why was not possible to import a Lambo ? was a kind of embargo for european cars not built there ?
Is exiting to know how your family got the way to go thru the problems to bring the Miura till Mexico City ,
they drove from US all the way by driving ?
Old 12-27-2018, 01:06 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Quick Reply: When 370 is enough