Sponsored by:

DSC V3 Suspension Controller Fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 07:59 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Default DSC V3 Suspension Controller Fault

I have a 991.2 GTS with front axle lift. I bought a DSC V3 after the software was recently upgraded to fix the bug they had with FAL. I’ve had it a month or so and never a problem and I really like the way it runs the suspension. Today I went for a ride and was forced to make a u-turn and the pavement angles were all wrong so I pushed the button to activate FAL. Worked like it is supposed to, did the u-ey, then hit the button to lower the suspension which worked fine. Drove just a little bit and I got a ‘lift system fault (or something like that), service required’. WTF, never have seen that one. I pulled into a parking lot, shut down the car and walked away a bit to get the key out of range, then got back in and started driving again. Got the fault again. When I got home I put the OEM controller back in and all is well, no faults, everything works normally.

So question is, does anyone have a V3 with the latest s/w, and also FAL? If so what’s been your experience? I plan to call them tomorrow but thought I’d ask.

BTW, the GTS with the DCS and Cobb tune is just awesome. Corners are noticibly better than with the OEM controller, and good Lord, the power!

Last edited by flickroll; 08-01-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:30 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Interested as well. I also have a MT 991.2 carmine red gts (and FAL). Im about tull pull the trigger on the cobb tune and dsc controller so interested to see how this pans out. Do you also have PDCC?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:57 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Interested as well. I also have a MT 991.2 carmine red gts (and FAL). Im about tull pull the trigger on the cobb tune and dsc controller so interested to see how this pans out. Do you also have PDCC?
No PDCC. Not because I didn’t want it, only because I was already over budget by a good margin.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:32 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Any thoughts on v2 vs v3 of the dsc controller?
Old 08-01-2018, 11:39 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87

I have no experience with V2 so can’t answer the question. Was going to buy the V3 at the beginning of the year but found out there was a bug in the s/w. With FAL, once the button was pushed to raise the front end, the car had to be shut down and restarted to lower it. That was fixed sometime in the spring and was working fine for me until today.

One difference with the suspension....the various driving modes, normal, sport, sport +...do not change the suspension mode to sport or normal, you do that manually. But a handy feature is whatever mode you were in when you turn off the car is retained in memory and the suspension goes back to that suspension mode when you restart.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:32 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
They made some changes in how the data is collected and used. With V2 there were some lags as all data goes through the canbus but with V3 those lags are eliminated. Wont notice in normal driving but in track/racing conditions it was noticeable according to TPC.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
I have a 991.2 GTS with front axle lift. I bought a DSC V3 after the software was recently upgraded to fix the bug they had with FAL. I’ve had it a month or so and never a problem and I really like the way it runs the suspension. Today I went for a ride and was forced to make a u-turn and the pavement angles were all wrong so I pushed the button to activate FAL. Worked like it is supposed to, did the u-ey, then hit the button to lower the suspension which worked fine. Drove just a little bit and I got a ‘lift system fault (or something like that), service required’. WTF, never have seen that one. I pulled into a parking lot, shut down the car and walked away a bit to get the key out of range, then got back in and started driving again. Got the fault again. When I got home I put the OEM controller back in and all is well, no faults, everything works normally.

So question is, does anyone have a V3 with the latest s/w, and also FAL? If so what’s been your experience? I plan to call them tomorrow but thought I’d ask.

BTW, the GTS with the DCS and Cobb tune is just awesome. Corners are noticibly better than with the OEM controller, and good Lord, the power! There was a software update for the calibration file but that has nothing to do witth FAL
Hello. I am sorry in advance for any confusion. DSC currently does not have a firmware update yet to fix the bug for 991.2 with FAL and SR(sunroof) option. This is because the 991.2 development cars we used for the DSC did not have these option. We have been trying to get a local car here so that we scan the factory electronic messages that come from these two options. Once we have a car here to scan, all we have to do is identify these electronic messages that conflicts with DSC when these FAL or SR button is activated, and then change our DSC message by one digit to prevent the conflicts. After this procedure the fix will be in the form of a firmware update. The performance of the DSC damping commands are unaffected. The fault message is annoyance that we want to fix.

On the 991.1 cars and 991.2 GT3 the electronic messages are different so they aren't affected. If you are near our shop we can scan your car.

I have written about the FAL and SR in a few different threads. The offer still stands for anyone letting us scan their car with these options to get a free DSC!
Old 08-02-2018, 07:12 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Hello. I am sorry in advance for any confusion. DSC currently does not have a firmware update yet to fix the bug for 991.2 with FAL and SR(sunroof) option. This is because the 991.2 development cars we used for the DSC did not have these option. We have been trying to get a local car here so that we scan the factory electronic messages that come from these two options. Once we have a car here to scan, all we have to do is identify these electronic messages that conflicts with DSC when these FAL or SR button is activated, and then change our DSC message by one digit to prevent the conflicts. After this procedure the fix will be in the form of a firmware update. The performance of the DSC damping commands are unaffected. The fault message is annoyance that we want to fix.

On the 991.1 cars and 991.2 GT3 the electronic messages are different so they aren't affected. If you are near our shop we can scan your car.

I have written about the FAL and SR in a few different threads. The offer still stands for anyone letting us scan their car with these options to get a free DSC!
I have a 17 GTS with FAL (but no sunroof). Guess I'll have to wait for the update
Old 08-03-2018, 12:04 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

BTW, the GTS with the DCS and Cobb tune is just awesome. Corners are noticibly better than with the OEM controller, and good Lord, the power! There was a software update for the calibration file but that has nothing to do witth FAL
The last sentence of my quoted post in Post 7 was not written by me.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:23 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

I'm going to grab some popcorn.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:32 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I suspect the last sentence " There was a software update for the calibration file but that has nothing to do with FAL " was written by Tom to explain that the DSC update for your module had nothing to do with the FAL error message and Tom accidentally put his answer inside the quote field when he replied with a quote to your message. That said, what Tom explained is the same explanation I got when I called to inquire about the DSC V3 - there remains a conflict on the CAN bus between the DSC V3 module and FAL and SR on 991.2 models and the fix requires TPC Racing to get their hands on a 991.2 car with FAL and SR so they can understand what messages are on the CAN bus that interfere with the DSC V3 so they can change the DSC V3. They have offered a free DSC V3 to anyone who can give them access to a 991.2 with FAL and SR so they can sort this out and craft a firmware update that does not have this error.

I am really tempted because 1) I really want a DSC V3 and 2) I have a 991.2 (TTS) with FAL and SR. What is holding me back is it's a 2,000 mile round trip (I am definitely NOT local) and I guess I don't want the DSC badly enough to put 2,000 miles on my car to get one with the fixed firmware.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:39 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

I have a 2017 GTS with FAL and RWS but no sunroof. Is it safe to say this will work on my car?
Old 08-06-2018, 10:33 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I have a 2017 GTS with FAL and RWS but no sunroof. Is it safe to say this will work on my car?
By no means an expert on this - only an engineer with an affected vehicle who wants a DSC V3 but doesn't want to have to deal with errors on my car. My understanding is that vehicle versions 991.1 (and earlier) did not use the CAN bus to communicate FAL and SR data with vehicle controllers, and so a DSC V3 which uses the CAN bus does not have any conflict with FAL and SR on those platforms. But with the 991.2 platform (your 2017 GTS is almost certainly a 991.2) FAL and SR data uses the CAN bus and therefore use of either feature can cause interference on the CAN bus. So your car would be OK with regards to SR - you don't have one - but could end up with a conflict regarding the activation (or deactivation) of FAL with a DSC V3 installed. flickroll's (he started this thread) vehicle is a 991.2 GTS with FAL so his experience could be the same as yours.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:02 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JR956678
By no means an expert on this - only an engineer with an affected vehicle who wants a DSC V3 but doesn't want to have to deal with errors on my car. My understanding is that vehicle versions 991.1 (and earlier) did not use the CAN bus to communicate FAL and SR data with vehicle controllers, and so a DSC V3 which uses the CAN bus does not have any conflict with FAL and SR on those platforms. But with the 991.2 platform (your 2017 GTS is almost certainly a 991.2) FAL and SR data uses the CAN bus and therefore use of either feature can cause interference on the CAN bus. So your car would be OK with regards to SR - you don't have one - but could end up with a conflict regarding the activation (or deactivation) of FAL with a DSC V3 installed. flickroll's (he started this thread) vehicle is a 991.2 GTS with FAL so his experience could be the same as yours.
^^This is correct. FAL only will cause the error in 991.2's. DSC is looking for a car in their area with both a SR and FAL to test but so far have come up short. I live not too far away but I won't drive the car in the NOVA/DC/Metro MD area for a lot of reasons, but I did offer up my car if they want to come to me to test. Waiting to hear back from them.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:25 AM
JR956678
Instructor

^^This is correct. FAL only will cause the error in 991.2's. DSC is looking for a car in their area with both a SR and FAL to test but so far have come up short. I live not too far away but I won't drive the car in the NOVA/DC/Metro MD area for a lot of reasons, but I did offer up my car if they want to come to me to test. Waiting to hear back from them.
I hope they take you up on that. As previously posted I have a car that would work for them but a 2,000 mile round trip doesn't compute for me. But as soon as they get this fixed I'm definitely going with the DSC controller!

Quick Reply: DSC V3 Suspension Controller Fault