Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wait to drive black car until after full PPF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:36 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by kage65
Yes, leaning towards driving it home while avoiding the highway, and maybe sneaking in a few short non highway drives here or there, which will help with the wait.
This IMO is a reasonable strategy. Definitely don't just let the car sit there for 2 weeks, you will go bananas. Like others have said, life is too short. Just make sure you wax the crap out of the car after you get it because it will protect the paint - a lot. This saved my butt, bigtime. If I hadn't applied the wax as soon as I took delivery the wood projectile wouldve done so much more damage, as naked paint is sticky and the 60mph projectile would have gouged it to the metal. I also have GT silver which hides dirt and scratches much better than black. Before you go for ppf just wash the car with dawn soap. Kitchen soaps are excellent at breaking down wax and oils, and will basically get the paint down to naked clearcoat. Finally, the whole car should be wiped with 50% isopropyl alcohol and distilled water so there is literally no residue under the ppf. I would ask your installer how they prep the car and if they dont do this make sure you getter done beforehand otherwise the wax will make the ppf bubble and peel at the edges over time.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:52 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default I'd wait

I would wait on a black car although on my plat silver one I did some back roads driving prior to install. black just shows everything.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:04 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

My opinion is don't even get the PPF for various reasons. You're worried about a tiny rock chip being sealed behind film? The installer will likely leave ugly gagged edges, some dirt behind it, razor scars, folds and odd smears from stretching film. Its confusing... you want a perfect car and you're not willing to accept wear and tare, yet are willing to accept someone putting junk film on the car that's going to degrade the look. Just save your mind, money, time and drive it...

I've had PPF on plenty of cars and still do on my SUV. I'll take natural tiny rock chips (that can easily be touched up, aren't visible from normal distances, and blend in with bug splatter) ANY day instead of getting film on the car. Get ceramic coat or frequently wax/seal instead. It wont stop a rock, but provides enough protection for everything else, makes the car look good, and easy to clean. Allows paintless dent removal, detailing, and correction too.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:44 PM
swisman
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO...if you want to make sure there are no blemishes prior to the PPF install, unfortunately you can't drive the car.
I feel your pain...you have likely waited to get your awesome new ride. We all want to drive them immediately!!!
Yes, you can tempt fate & cross your fingers that there is no issues, but the point of PPF is to protect the paint.
The peace of mind after the PPF install is worth the wait.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:12 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 weeks of wait vs years of regret

I’ll take the 2 weeks.

Enjoy staring at it while sipping a glass of wine with good music.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:44 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
My opinion is don't even get the PPF for various reasons. You're worried about a tiny rock chip being sealed behind film? The installer will likely leave ugly gagged edges, some dirt behind it, razor scars, folds and odd smears from stretching film. Its confusing... you want a perfect car and you're not willing to accept wear and tare, yet are willing to accept someone putting junk film on the car that's going to degrade the look. Just save your mind, money, time and drive it...

I've had PPF on plenty of cars and still do on my SUV. I'll take natural tiny rock chips (that can easily be touched up, aren't visible from normal distances, and blend in with bug splatter) ANY day instead of getting film on the car. Get ceramic coat or frequently wax/seal instead. It wont stop a rock, but provides enough protection for everything else, makes the car look good, and easy to clean. Allows paintless dent removal, detailing, and correction too.
In part from a few of your posts on PPF, and an honest look at my own PPF experience with my daily 550. Decided against the PPF and picked up some touch-up paint, plus commit to a regular schedule of detailing.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:08 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Wait.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:25 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Love
You can’t touch up a chip and then ppf it. Because as the film is stretched; it can pull out the touch up paint.
nah, I had paint touched up before a clear bra install before and its not an issue as long as the paint is cured.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:51 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

^ agreed. Me too.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:53 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral

Tiny chips are one thing but PPF protects from sandblasting which EVERY car driven on a highway is subjected to. If PPF is installed correctly there are no razor scars, folds or smears.

Quick Reply: Wait to drive black car until after full PPF?