991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my dilemma: get a C4S or GT4?

Old 07-23-2018, 09:27 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Driven both the 911S and GT4 (both 2016 models) around the ‘ring and the GT4 is quicker (in my hands). It is noticeably more planted than the 911S.

But I bought another 911S....it’s just something about the 911 that spins my propeller.

So, zero help from me.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:34 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

I went C2S specifically because I have two young children. If I didnt need the rear seat, I'd have gone GT4 or even perhaps a regular Cayman S or GTS and saved some money.

I think the joy of sharing the car with your family will outweigh the sportier nature of the mid engine chassis
Old 07-23-2018, 09:36 PM
phs0316
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought C4S just because it has depreciated more, so I figured I wouldn't buy a used car that has appreciated...

but if I had to go through again, I would stretch myself and get GT3.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:58 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT
My hope is that whatever we get, it will be a car that we can put miles on and not lose too much money on over the years. I will put 8-10,000 miles on it per year.
IMO you’re looking for the wrong car for the wrong reason if it’s between a c4s /gt4 and depreciation is the name of the game.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:42 PM
BlackCS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a 2013 C4S, andI found that car to be extremely boring to drive, and this is with an AWE switchpath exhaust, not enough excitement for the compromise when using it as a daily. I switched to a 14 Cayman S, which is much more lively, and now I'm aiming for a gt3.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:26 AM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DY369
I don't get it......last month you posted about getting the loaded C2S or higher-mile GTS. This month it's two totally different cars. What are you waiting for?
Unfortunately, I was busy at work and both sold. Then, I saw a GTS in person and realized I needed the widebody. Unfortunately, most GTS' are a bit out of my price range at the moment! That one had high mileage but was in very good condition.

I don't need the wider body, but I like the looks of the car!
Old 07-24-2018, 04:51 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

C4S - kids love to ride in a Porsche - game over

The new GT4 will be out in the next year - it will be much improved over the outgoing model - so if you want to scratch that itch the wait will be worth it.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:02 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 70 Posts

I recently sold my GT4 in favor of a 2017 C2S and frankly I don't regret it. Just the fact that my 2 kids can ride with me in the car means I don't get to use my Porsche only for the track but I can also daily drive it and enjoy it more often. I'm about as fast on the track with the C2S as I was with the stock GT4 so I don't feel a loss in performance and I enjoy the rear-engine challenge and different corner entry. It's more civilized and comfortable while retaining a sporty nature. Also I like the fact that it doesn't command as much attention. The GT4 felt a bit juvenile sometimes.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:27 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Drive both, because they are different animals.

I jokingly call my 991.1 C2S "the minivan" since I am Mr. Mom with a toddler. Carreras are great if you have kids, plus want a solid track car.

I drove my friend's GT4 (tuned to eliminate the flat spot, DSC, headers, and exhaust), and it was a completely different experience. The ride was actually smoother in the GT4 with DSC compared to my C2S with SPASM, and the overall experience was more fun.

GT4 = No kids; more fun; GT quality; great track car

Carrera = Kid hauler; more practical; great track car with upgraded pads/fluid

Old 07-24-2018, 12:13 PM
AMitchell0039
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
It sounds to me like a Carrera GTS with a aerokit is the perfect car for you. Any luck finding anything interesting in your price range there? Might be worth a look.

My wife was also anti-minivan when my kids were younger, but we really needed the utility of an SUV. This was right around 2005 or 2006. When she told me which SUV she wanted, I nearly fell on the floor. She wanted a HUMMER. That's what she got. Bright red, with lots of chrome. That vehicle was a head turner in the school parking lot.
^^My thoughts exactly^^. I have a 991 GTS with the Aero cup package in Carmine Red and absolutely love it. It has major presence (i.e. 3.8 NA engine, CL Turbo S wheels, wider hips like the OP mentioned) and the practicality of 2+2 seating (I even have a car seat in the back for my son at the moment).

It might be tough to find one at the $90,000 price point but if that can be stretched just a bit, there are some great examples out there.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:14 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
I recently sold my GT4 in favor of a 2017 C2S and frankly I don't regret it. Just the fact that my 2 kids can ride with me in the car means I don't get to use my Porsche only for the track but I can also daily drive it and enjoy it more often. I'm about as fast on the track with the C2S as I was with the stock GT4 so I don't feel a loss in performance and I enjoy the rear-engine challenge and different corner entry. It's more civilized and comfortable while retaining a sporty nature. Also I like the fact that it doesn't command as much attention. The GT4 felt a bit juvenile sometimes.
^ Mirrors my experiences, but jumping from a GT4 > a "mere" 991.2 Carrera 7MT.

Looking at the OP's budget of $90k, a CPO 991.2 Carrera/S is worth considering unless a) you just gotta have a big wing, b) you really do need those wider rear fenders (do note that they are the same on the 991 narrow and wide bodies all the way until the "fall-off" as the steel turns down to meet the wheel lip—so the "upper hip" is the same), and/or c) it's an NA engine or bust. If any or all of the above are stipulations, then 991.1 GTS with high miles and high care would my first choice...but the 991.2's improvements in handling precision, ride, steering, shifting (991.1 GTS very good here also), PCM, engine, and other areas are worthwhile. For me, more valuable than a wing and wider rear fenders for me, but this is so very much an individual thing and YMMV.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:41 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Drive both, because they are different animals.

I jokingly call my 991.1 C2S "the minivan" since I am Mr. Mom with a toddler. Carreras are great if you have kids, plus want a solid track car.

I drove my friend's GT4 (tuned to eliminate the flat spot, DSC, headers, and exhaust), and it was a completely different experience. The ride was actually smoother in the GT4 with DSC compared to my C2S with SPASM, and the overall experience was more fun.

GT4 = No kids; more fun; GT quality; great track car

Carrera = Kid hauler; more practical; great track car with upgraded pads/fluid
Time to add DSC to your C2S! Made a big impact on my 991.1 S
Old 07-24-2018, 04:36 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone!

I like the NA feel, but perhaps I could look at a turbo version of a 991. The rear seats would be nice. I could easily upgrade the suspension down the line to mirror a GT4, for not too much money, if I went in that direction. I hear Elephant Racing does a lot of neat upgrades.

And yes, I want something classy and not juvenile. I do a lot of marketing and networking in "a man's world" and my inner tomboy persona definitely helps, but having a car that car guys take seriously has never hurt anyone. At some offices I network with, half of the cars in the lot are 911's. At the local Mavs meetups, there aren't many enthusiast gals, and some people (including my father, bless his heart) are downright surprised that a lady can operate 3 pedals.

So, the C4S it is! Or, a higher mile GTS. I loved the one posted above (in yellow) but my husband isn't a fan of the color. Most all of them are going for $100k plus still, which is OK: the C4S is no slouch and at $20,000 cheaper, makes me feel like I am being "responsible".
Old 07-24-2018, 06:09 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

As others have mentioned, kiddo duty makes the 911 the ideal choice. Also, I don't think I would want to drive my Spyder that many miles per year -- where I would not hesitate to do so in the 911.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:13 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT
Thanks everyone!

I like the NA feel, but perhaps I could look at a turbo version of a 991. The rear seats would be nice. I could easily upgrade the suspension down the line to mirror a GT4, for not too much money, if I went in that direction. I hear Elephant Racing does a lot of neat upgrades.

And yes, I want something classy and not juvenile. I do a lot of marketing and networking in "a man's world" and my inner tomboy persona definitely helps, but having a car that car guys take seriously has never hurt anyone. At some offices I network with, half of the cars in the lot are 911's. At the local Mavs meetups, there aren't many enthusiast gals, and some people (including my father, bless his heart) are downright surprised that a lady can operate 3 pedals.

So, the C4S it is! Or, a higher mile GTS. I loved the one posted above (in yellow) but my husband isn't a fan of the color. Most all of them are going for $100k plus still, which is OK: the C4S is no slouch and at $20,000 cheaper, makes me feel like I am being "responsible".
Look into a 991.2 BASE pre owned. It's in your price range, and you'll get newer warranty. It will wax every car you're after in acceleration. The kids will love the torque, and inside the cabin it sounds as good, if not better than a .1. It'll also steer a lot better plus you'll have the benefit of newer tech goodies.

There's too many voices in your head at this point. You're gonna settle for something you don't want deep down inside because of this. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my dilemma: get a C4S or GT4?