Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird fob issues - 911 T

Old 07-19-2018, 06:17 AM
sphynxdude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird fob issues - 911 T

I finally got my 911 T (sorry for no pictures, but have been out racking up the miles). I did not opt for Entry and Drive, so I have to use the fob every time I get in and out to lock the doors, etc. Starting yesterday, the fob began acting up. The lights on the fob work, but it just will not lock (or unlock the doors). I can walk around the car pressing the button and then randomly it will all of a sudden lock/flash. The same goes for unlocking. I can either press the button repeatedly or use the physical key to unlock the door. There are no issues when starting the car.

I would assume that the batteries are still good (but have ordered some as a just in case). I have tried both fobs and the behavior is the same - basically neither work reliably. I did install a radar detector via Mjrrortap and also installed a Blackvue dash cam (front and back) but cannot imagine that these are interfering (esp as everything was working fine until yesterday).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have an appt at my dealership next week, but want to make sure I am not overlooking anything simple. I am guessing it is a bad control module.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:39 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 220 Posts

Do you experience the problem at different locations? Perhaps there is some wireless interference occurring. If you haven’t already, drive to a different location and see if the issue persists.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:13 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 121 Posts

I am having the exact same issue. Looks like I have to be right next to the door to lock/unlock.

If I walk a few steps away and try to lock it, it won't work.

I also have my radar detector and BlackVue, but if I recall correctly, it was doing this even before installation.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

My FOB on my 911T is also very sensitive to distance but once I'm within range, it works just fine. I will say that the number of times I have to actually press unlock in order to unlock the passenger side door is definitely inconsistent. Some days it's only 2 button presses, other days it's 3.

I just cough it up to typical crappy Porsche technology and carry on with my day ...
Old 07-19-2018, 09:45 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

No issue with my key fob. No double or triple klick required. First time and every time. Mostly used within 10ft of car, but also used from inside house and to garage, 30ft and through glass. No issue.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 AM
sunspot2013
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a Carrera T on the way but my current 718 has the exact same issue. I thought maybe the battery in the fob was weak but perhaps it is just less-than perfect tech.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:30 AM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2017 Carrera S is also very sensitive to the distance from the car before it will lock/unlock. I have to be very close to the car, as compared to my BMW and other cars before it will unlock.

I have no problem locking or unlocking it, but I need to be near the car to do it.

Perhaps it was designed that way?
Old 07-19-2018, 04:47 PM
bibik
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I find that the key fob range is very limited compared to other cars I have driven.

On another note, I was wondering about the lock chirps (normal keyfob, not entry-and-drive). According to the owner's manual:
  • When pressing the key fob to lock the door, the car gives two beeps and the lights flash twice to indicate that the doors are locked and the interior monitoring is on
  • Press it again w/in 2 seconds, the lights flash once (no beep) to indicate that the interior monitoring is off

Often when I press the lock button, it only chirps just once and the lights flash. When pressing lock again within a second or two, it chirps twice like mentioned above. And then when I press it again for the third time, it does the silent flash.

Has anyone else experienced this, and know why the car only chirps once sometimes? It's a bit confusing since I'm always looking for two chirps to confirm the car is locked, but when it chirps just once I'm not sure if it's locked or not, and have to press the button again.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same issue, but with Entry and Drive. When I touch the spot on the handle that should yield two chirps and a lock, I get one chirp and a lock (which is supposed to happen if you touch it twice quickly, this disarms the interior sensors). Would love to know if someone has a fix.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:58 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I think many have the one vs two beep locking thing, without conclusion unless I missed it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird fob issues - 911 T