Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Over Range 5 and 6 Bad?

Old 07-14-2018, 09:56 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Here's the report. I can likely get the car at a deep discount with an extended warranty.
Doubtful the extended warranty will be through Porsche.

Even if you were able to get an extended warranty through Porsche, the engine is waiting to fail. What if Porsche requests a DME printout before authorizing the engine replacement and then says that the extended warranty coverage is excluded based on the over-rev conditions? You are screwed.

As others have posted, there are better cars that are available without the engine issues.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:31 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
protip: if you keep your throttle pinned to redline in 2nd and 3rd gear for 3 seconds or longer it will stop bouncing off the limiter and smooth out the throttle right at redline for a smoother and natural balance in a corner.
I don't see a problem with bumping the redline, but I find this "protip" to be absolutely ludicrous.

The chances that a flat redline-controlled speed corresponds exactly to the optimal speed in a corner is slim to none. If you are able to make it through the corner at the speed being dictated by redline, then you could almost certainly be going through the corner at an even higher speed if you were at a lower RPM in the next higher gear. You also aren't set up well for acceleration as you come out of the turn, the required shift would give you a bump that could be detrimental to your lateral grip in the final part of the turn when you don't want it.
The following users liked this post:
parkman4 (07-22-2022)
Old 07-14-2018, 11:14 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

You can't hit range 5/6 unless the driver downshifted to the wrong gear. I wouldn't buy that car. No way.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:19 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
The more serious question is why you're asking THAT question seriously.

it's a ****in Porsche 911. Drive it! If you're not hitting the rev limiter you're not driving you're car. You're simply *****-footing it thinking you're hard.

I hit rev limiter many times in my PDK.

protip: if you keep your throttle pinned to redline in 2nd and 3rd gear for 3 seconds or longer it will stop bouncing off the limiter and smooth out the throttle right at redline for a smoother and natural balance in a corner.
The rev limiter is there to protect the engine from drivers who don't know how to drive a manual or who may know how to drive but made a mistake while accelerating. Kinda like when PSM keeps the car stable when a driver makes a combination of bad driver inputs (steering, braking, throttle etc)

Sorry man, but you shouldn't be bouncing the engine off the limiter - it is there for a reason...... but I appreciate the "pro tip".
Old 07-14-2018, 11:23 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Although I would walk, I think there's a qualifier as to how Porsche would consider it- mainly at what point (hours) did the over revs occur. I remember reading somewhere that if no apparent collateral damage appears after 50 hours since the event occurred it gets a "pass". I don't see total hours on the report you posted, only the operating hours during which it occurred (200). So, if say, the car had over 250 hours on it at this point it might be fine. The 240 ignitions (how many times a spark plug fired) seems high, too, in that range.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:33 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Manual tranny and over-rev range 5+ is called a "money" downshift where I come from. It means it's highly probable something was overstretched and will likely fail soon. It's possible it won't fail, but you probably have to drive it 1000+ operating hours past the last over-rev event to be out of the woods. Averaging 40 mph, 1000 hours would be 40,000 miles on the odometer. My recollection is that only at 1000+ hours after an over-rev like that would Porsche allow a dealer to CPO the car. Over-revs in range 1 and two are common and Ok, but 5+ is an impending engine disaster.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:57 AM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Missed downshift for sure. Over 8500 RPM. Bye-bye warranty!
this is very interesting... I might be wrong but I think redline is 7,300 rpm +/- on my GTS. It’s a shocker that a mechanical over rev of 1,200 rpms can do such damage to both the engine and owner’s psyche when faced with the repair bill!

I’m guessing insurance doesn’t cover?

Old 07-15-2018, 01:07 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Here's the report. I can likely get the car at a deep discount with an extended warranty.

You are not going to get an extended warranty from Porsche with that over-rev record. Besides even if they offer you a deep discount, chances are you will have a hard time selling it in future because nobody want to take that risk.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:24 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
You are not going to get an extended warranty from Porsche with that over-rev record. Besides even if they offer you a deep discount, chances are you will have a hard time selling it in future because nobody want to take that risk.
Maybe OP should ask for a replacement engine (long block)? That would be a deep enough discount.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:18 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why? Serious question.
I like driving fast, and they hit that first gear limiter so quickly.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:03 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

As my mother said to me many times:

“ Why pay for problems, when’s many problems that come in life are free “
Old 07-15-2018, 04:02 PM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

I love cars with stories as they are always the easiest ones to negotiate great deals on! The perceived issues are usually forgotten or don't matter over time. If it's under warranty or the dealer CPO'd it, that is between the Dealership and Porsche. The money shift can obviously be confirmed to have occurred outside (prior) to your ownership and can be attested to by the dealer at purchase, ie the dealer knew what they were selling and certifying (both car and warranty)…

Just guessing by looking at the pressures, I'd guess he miscalculated a downshift, as manifold pressure was lower than ambient (not in boost) and wastegate was not open). 5th to 1st maybe?
Old 07-15-2018, 05:40 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a
As my mother said to me many times:

“ Why pay for problems, when’s many problems that come in life are free “
Your mother was wise. Obviously the car has had some abuse that could result in a catastrophic failure why buy that potential problem. There are lots of 911’s out there that have been treated well.
Hitting the rev limiter on acceleration is not the same issue as a bad downshift.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:47 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt these cars make max hp at around redline - optimal shift should be a bit earlier so what's the point of redlining the car all the time? I try to shift the 991.1 slightly before 7k (~6.8-6.9), makes the most sense looking at the dyno chart, don't think i'm losing anything in straight line acceleration given how the car runs on straights vs similar cars
Old 07-15-2018, 05:52 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S

Your mother was wise. Obviously the car has had some abuse that could result in a catastrophic failure why buy that potential problem. There are lots of 911’s out there that have been treated well.
Hitting the rev limiter on acceleration is not the same issue as a bad downshift.
can someone please tell me if a missed shift that results in your engine exploding, at the time or at a later date, is something that is be covered by insurance? I’m nervous now lol, will be downshifting much more deliberately ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 Over Range 5 and 6 Bad?