Sponsored by:

PCCB and "increased comfort"

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 02:24 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The comfort part comes into play from not sitting on a wallet with +$9,000 in it on a long drive.
#truth!
Old 07-14-2018, 08:05 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smmmurf
My GT4 has PCCB's and my friend's GT4 has standard brakes. I drove them back to back and noticed that the car with PCCB's rode a bit better. It seemed ilke the suspension recovered from bumps quicker. Both cars had Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires from the factory.

I have since switched the factory wheels to 20" BBS FI-R wheels. Combined with the ceramic brakes, the car carries about 70 pounds less unsprung weight than a standard GT4 with 20" OEM wheels and steel brakes. It is still not a comfortable car with the sport buckets and firm suspension, but the agility is amazing and the ride is better than acceptable. I would change the brakes from my 991 C2S to PCCB's if presented with the opportunity.

Thanks for sharing your experience on the difference in ride quality.
Those wheels look fantastic by the way.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:21 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have PCCB. The only thing I notice is zero brake dust. That alone thrills me.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:12 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

This guy does
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-porsche-911-10/

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
"This results in better roadholding and increased comfort, particularly on uneven roads, as well as greater agility and a further improvement in handling."

Does anyone take their 911 off-roading? Low ground clearance, not to mention limited angle of approach and departure would seem to argue against going off-road with a 911. Maybe applicable to a Cayenne, but I don't think so with the 911.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:10 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

We've weighed the difference between a set of OEM iron and ceramics and its roughly 45lbs, and that is unsprung/rotational mass. That is a noticeable difference on and off the track, and is a major factor in why we are converting iron rotor cars to our refurbishable ST ceramics.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:15 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane

Are you kidding me? Who wouldn't want to take their 991 off-road?

That's poster worthy. A 991.2 Turbo shell on it, too. Wow, that is the definition of disposable income.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:28 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
We've weighed the difference between a set of OEM iron and ceramics and its roughly 45lbs, and that is unsprung/rotational mass. That is a noticeable difference on and off the track, and is a major factor in why we are converting iron rotor cars to our refurbishable ST ceramics.
I’m assuming that’s S iron rotors? Has anyone weighed the standard iron rotors vs ceramics? Curious what the weight difference is between those two.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:30 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by k997

I’m assuming that’s S iron rotors? Has anyone weighed the standard iron rotors vs ceramics? Curious what the weight difference is between those two.
That was 380mm front and rear rotors off a GT4/GT3 versus 410mm/400mm ST ceramics. We don't have ST ceramics for S or Base models, at least not yet so we've never weighed the difference on those.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:49 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those rotors look great John. ST seems to be quality stuff.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:33 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I have PDCC which is supposed to increase comfort. I have PCCB which apparently also increases comfort. If it weren't for SPASM I bet it would ride just like a Lincoln town car!

Seriously though, on bumpy roads, it's not what I'd call "comfortable" - on reasonably smooth highways, it's fine (yet can be noisy). Any improvement in "comfort" from these options is marginal. Don't set your comfort expectations too high - you feel every bump and that's the way it's supposed to be.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:46 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice! What pads do you need to run with your carbon ceramic rotors? Removing rotating mass is always a good thing. I already have the F1-R wheels. I was contemplating going to Girodisc to replace my OEM iron, but this looks interesting.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:38 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank
Those rotors look great John. ST seems to be quality stuff.
Why thank you, I appreciate that! You should join the fun and get a set ; )

Originally Posted by Need4S

Nice! What pads do you need to run with your carbon ceramic rotors? Removing rotating mass is always a good thing. I already have the F1-R wheels. I was contemplating going to Girodisc to replace my OEM iron, but this looks interesting.
That all depends on the use of the car, but we have been using three different versions of Pagid pads with great success to accommodate various levels of driving and comfort. It is quite the upgrade, you'd thoroughly enjoy it as everyone has that's running them
Old 07-26-2018, 09:56 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Why thank you, I appreciate that! You should join the fun and get a set ; )

That all depends on the use of the car, but we have been using three different versions of Pagid pads with great success to accommodate various levels of driving and comfort. It is quite the upgrade, you'd thoroughly enjoy it as everyone has that's running them
Three versions of Pagids? My current contemplation for pads with iron rotors would be Porterfield R4-S or Ferodo DS2500. Which Pagids would you suggest with your rotors that match up (or approximate) these?

In case it helps you and/or others, my car is a 991.1 turbo (non-S) with iron rotors, 5 bolt wheels.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:56 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Need4S
Three versions of Pagids? My current contemplation for pads with iron rotors would be Porterfield R4-S or Ferodo DS2500. Which Pagids would you suggest with your rotors that match up (or approximate) these?

In case it helps you and/or others, my car is a 991.1 turbo (non-S) with iron rotors, 5 bolt wheels.
Correct, unlike iron rotors ceramics are very sensitive to pad material and require a more tailor/tested pad. That being said, the ST ceramics are manufactured in such a way they are MUCH more robust than conventional ceramics and can accept more aggressive pads without any ill effect. The Porterfields I don't have experience with but I do with the RS2500. I'd describe that Ferodo pad as a double duty street/track pad that is quieter than most for street use. The Pagid RSC1 would be the best match on the ST rotors to that description with the RS29 being the next step up in regards to better initial bite on track and bit more potential for noise on the street.

Quick Reply: PCCB and "increased comfort"