Sponsored by:

PCCB and "increased comfort"

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 04:14 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PCCB and "increased comfort"

I haven't seen this specifically discussed here but what do you guys think about Porsche's claim of PCCB's offering increased comfort on uneven roads. It kinda sounds like it could be possible given the rotors weigh 50% less, but I think it would be difficult if not impossible to tell the difference.

https://www.porsche.com/internationa...te-break-pccb/
Old 07-13-2018, 04:25 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

"This results in better roadholding and increased comfort, particularly on uneven roads, as well as greater agility and a further improvement in handling."

Does anyone take their 911 off-roading? Low ground clearance, not to mention limited angle of approach and departure would seem to argue against going off-road with a 911. Maybe applicable to a Cayenne, but I don't think so with the 911.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:52 PM
scsuperfan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
"This results in better roadholding and increased comfort, particularly on uneven roads, as well as greater agility and a further improvement in handling."

Does anyone take their 911 off-roading? Low ground clearance, not to mention limited angle of approach and departure would seem to argue against going off-road with a 911. Maybe applicable to a Cayenne, but I don't think so with the 911.
Driving through SF counts for what they mention there. Terrible roads in the city!
Old 07-13-2018, 05:01 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan

Are you kidding me? Who wouldn't want to take their 991 off-road?

Old 07-13-2018, 05:56 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Originally Posted by scsuperfan
Driving through SF counts for what they mention there. Terrible roads in the city!
Agreed. Yeah I assume they are talking about city driving or something similar. I'm in the NYC area and some roads can be pretty bad. If there is some truth to the claim that PCCBs offer increased comfort, that might make the $10k price tag easier to swallow (obviously along with less fade, good looks, no brake dust)
Old 07-13-2018, 06:01 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Same goes for the greater agility claim. I think theoretically yes, but has anyone compared a PCCB vs red brake car on a slalom course?

I know this is mostly porsche marketing talk here, but doesn't the claim have to at least be based on some actual observation and not just "hey it weighs less so it should be more agile and feel more comfortable"? If it were that logic they could also probably claim PCCBs offer reduced 0-60 times.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:17 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

I had an Audi Super 90 with inboard brakes. The car rode smoothly on uneven back roads at crazy speeds. The small wheels and lack of sway bar (true independent suspension) also helped, except for the cornering. It’s unfortunate they don’t set up a bumpy test track for customers to demonstrate the benefits of both PCCB and PDCC.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:27 PM
smmmurf
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My GT4 has PCCB's and my friend's GT4 has standard brakes. I drove them back to back and noticed that the car with PCCB's rode a bit better. It seemed ilke the suspension recovered from bumps quicker. Both cars had Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires from the factory.

I have since switched the factory wheels to 20" BBS FI-R wheels. Combined with the ceramic brakes, the car carries about 70 pounds less unsprung weight than a standard GT4 with 20" OEM wheels and steel brakes. It is still not a comfortable car with the sport buckets and firm suspension, but the agility is amazing and the ride is better than acceptable. I would change the brakes from my 991 C2S to PCCB's if presented with the opportunity.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The comfort part comes into play from not sitting on a wallet with +$9,000 in it on a long drive.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:18 PM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tirerack tested the effects of wheel weight on performance and comfort.

They found that heavier wheels improve ride quality:

"Our experience showed that the heavyweight wheel's reluctance to be moved as the vehicle rode over expansion joints, patches and potholes actually damped the impact harshness transmitted to the suspension, and forced the tires to absorb more of the jolt."

Source: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=108&
Old 07-13-2018, 11:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Less unsprung weight will help with ride dampening.

(And this has nothing to do with the weight of the wheel)
Old 07-13-2018, 11:29 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 07-13-2018, 11:33 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Increased comfort for me is not having to crawl around washing and scrubbing my wheels to keep them clean. I’ve never had a woolie on my 991.2 PCCB equipped GTS and the wheels look like they are out of the factory. And I also enjoy the braking performance.

Last edited by flickroll; 07-14-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:37 AM
smmmurf
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by virage
Tirerack tested the effects of wheel weight on performance and comfort.

They found that heavier wheels improve ride quality:

"Our experience showed that the heavyweight wheel's reluctance to be moved as the vehicle rode over expansion joints, patches and potholes actually damped the impact harshness transmitted to the suspension, and forced the tires to absorb more of the jolt."

Source: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=108&
The 245/45R17 tested had a 4.3" sidewall and a 25.7" diameter (16.7% sidewall). A 991's 245/35R20 front tire has a 3.4" sidewall and a 26.8" diameter (12.7% sidewall). Compared to tires on typical sedans, there is not much sidewall to absorb bumps on our tires (and they likely have a stiffer construction as well). Having driven the standard brakes and PCCB's back to back, I highly prefer the PCCB's for both comfort and responsiveness.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:02 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 302 Posts

My GT4 had PCCBs which I replaced with Girodisc steel rotors after about a year. I couldn't feel any difference in the ride on the street at all. At that point I did have the stiffer Tarett Spring kit already installed however. That and the lowering I had done with the track setup pretty much ruined the street ride. I always felt Porsche did a masterful job with the stock GT4 suspension when it came to the street ride so perhaps the difference between PCCB and steel might be more obvious with stock suspension. I certainly wouldn't count on a night and day difference though.

Quick Reply: PCCB and "increased comfort"