Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 991 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:12 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

4 weeks ago I bought a nicely optioned 2013 C2S, 7000 miles CPO until June 2020 for $76,000
i had some great help from STG and other forum members.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:20 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I recall that there were more 991.1S models sold than the non-S. While you may find a price lower than $65K for a low mileage non-S, there are fewer of them for sale. So you may have to be more patient. Someone correct me if I am wrong
Old 07-12-2018, 03:06 PM
aj1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by aj1; 08-11-2018 at 01:40 PM. Reason: update to original poster
Old 07-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by aj1
Dont want to hijack thread, a quick question, been looking for a while and it seems like the 13 S is commanding about $10k more than the 12.5 S,
I cant seem to the differences, can someone elibrate.
Thks
aj.
To my knowledge it's very minor, but I do know the 2012.5 and early 2013's do not have the auto rev match/blip feature if that's something you care about.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:57 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

The price difference between the 2012.5 2013 and 2014 for similarly equipped vehicles currently is nothing. The best price point right now seems to be the 2014 as a properly equipped 2014S is selling for the same thing as a similarly equipped 2012.5S. PDK's cost much less than manuals but also I think will lose value faster. For your question regarding value, pick the right options and the value will remain. A base car will lose value more quickly than and S. An S with PDK will lose value more quickly that a MT. An S with a sunroof, cab, non sport chrono or PDCC will also lose value more quickly. Belly up for a GT car and you may make money if you can afford the cost of entry. Mileage also seems to be everything not only for purchase but also for resale. How much do you plan on driving and for how long will affect resale.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:21 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
To my knowledge it's very minor, but I do know the 2012.5 and early 2013's do not have the auto rev match/blip feature if that's something you care about.
My 991 pictured above is a MT and has SC, with PDCC and rev matching and ,PSE. Using the rev matching as a learning tool. It’s really very cool. Feels like cheating.
I drive 3000 miles per year. Gonna drive this one until the CPO is done then see what the new 992 is like. I will likely order a new one so I can get the exact options I want.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:45 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cpbmd

My 991 pictured above is a MT and has SC, with PDCC and rev matching and ,PSE. Using the rev matching as a learning tool. It’s really very cool. Feels like cheating.
I drive 3000 miles per year. Gonna drive this one until the CPO is done then see what the new 992 is like. I will likely order a new one so I can get the exact options I want.
Yah, early builds in 2013 don't have auto rev match, you probably have a later build right when they added that feature. I personally love it, but many purists hate it. *shrug*

I have a similar car, PDCC, SC, PSE, SPASM and 7MT. I LOVE mine and will keep it until I can comfortable afford a GT3 or Turbo S. Here's mine, and below is the Function First Shifter which I LOVE.

Dropped on Tech Art
Old 07-12-2018, 05:57 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

It’s a twin.
Is SPASM the button with the shock absorber pic on it? I don’t really know what that button does. I do like driving in Sport mode. Nice throttle response.

Is is that a special shifter ****? I like the colored numbers.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:20 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

It’s a twin.
Is SPASM the button with the shock absorber pic on it? I don’t really know what that button does. I do like driving in Sport mode. Nice throttle response.
yes. the button with the shock absorber on it stiffens the damping characteristics of the shock units. the given mode that it's in is illuminated in one of the gauges of the dash cluster (i think the one on the far right). one can select either "normal" or "sport" mode (less stiff, more stiff).

i think that's right.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:26 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oalvarez
yes. the button with the shock absorber on it stiffens the damping characteristics of the shock units. the given mode that it's in is illuminated in one of the gauges of the dash cluster (i think the one on the far right). one can select either "normal" or "sport" mode (less stiff, more stiff).

i think that's right.
thanks. I’ll play with it and see how it feels.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

It’s a twin.

Is is that a special shifter ****? I like the colored numbers.

All C2S's come standard with PASM- That Shock Absorber Button. But S-PASM has lower springs and different rollbars I believe. It's lower and stiffer.

You can easily paint your stock ****, I did that on my stock ****. Just get nail polish of the color of your choice and dab it on the recessed numbers, than wipe away the excess. Only the paint in the numbers will stay. It's super easy and a super nice touch to the car. Makes it a lot easier if you take the **** out first.

the **** in my car is made by Function First (aftermarket piece)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:23 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I hope you like acronyms : o )
Old 07-12-2018, 08:39 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
All C2S's come standard with PASM- That Shock Absorber Button. But S-PASM has lower springs and different rollbars I believe. It's lower and stiffer.

You can easily paint your stock ****, I did that on my stock ****. Just get nail polish of the color of your choice and dab it on the recessed numbers, than wipe away the excess. Only the paint in the numbers will stay. It's super easy and a super nice touch to the car. Makes it a lot easier if you take the **** out first.

the **** in my car is made by Function First (aftermarket piece)
Thanks a lot for the tip on the modification of the ****.
I am going to try it.My car has the sport button, sport plus button and the shock absorber button. I do not think the car was lowered with special Springs. I also have a sport exhaust button and some other button with the letter A on it that’s always lit.
So I probably don’t have S-PASM. That acronym is not listed on the build sheet
Old 07-12-2018, 11:50 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks a lot for the tip on the modification of the ****.
I am going to try it.My car has the sport button, sport plus button and the shock absorber button. I do not think the car was lowered with special Springs. I also have a sport exhaust button and some other button with the letter A on it that’s always lit.
So I probably don’t have S-PASM. That acronym is not listed on the build sheet
The “A” button is the auto start/stop, it’s turned off if lit.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:08 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 696
K-A, your car is gorgeous. I’m open to manual or pdk. I prefer to drive a manual, but pdk has some advantages as well. I’m not picky about options and I ‘m good with most colors. My search area is wide. I’d prefer for the car to be within 10 hours, but I don’t have a problem with shipping a good car.

Another question to ponder. Would an older higher mileage S or a newer base model hold its value better. I will probably keep the car about 2 years then, buy something different.

I truthfully care more about the difference between what I purchase the car for and what I sell it for more than actual purchase price. If I could convince myself that it might somehow cost me less in the long term to pay more up front, then I would do that, but that doesn’t seem all that likely to me. Maybe I’m wrong?
Thank you very much! Yeah I lost dibs on so many cars that I slept on, but the one I got was beyond my wildest dreams. That'll happen in the search for these cars. I never had to WORK so hard to get a car, but in retrospect, that aspect was a huge part of the charm and experience of buying my first 911. Something magical about it. Having to fly across country on no sleep, meeting the awesome owner, turning it into a mini vacation in a beautiful ocean side city, finding the right transport company, getting them to pick it up on time, having to entrust the previous owner to handle everything (which he did), etc. etc. It was honestly amazing and I had to pause when I was just sitting on this dock looking at yachts all around me (bought it in West Palm Beach) and take the whole moment in. Will never forget that, and it's tied into the aura of the car itself. As my wife said when I was FaceTiming her.... "This kind of stuff only happens to you." LOL.

Yeah, your "end to end" approach is smartest. People focus on purchase price but don't account for TOTAL COST, which is what matters. I think all 991.1's will perform well in that regard. Typically the higher price, the more % room to move down, which is likely not so much the case with 991.1's. Although a great deal on a base car that would cost let's say $10-15K less than an identically equipped and mileage S I think may slightly outperform the S depreciation curve, as on a bargain metric it's just overall better.

.1 GTS's are holding value exceptionally as well, at lease since .2's came out. Around $100K should get you a pretty good one, although most good ones are well above that. I think those will always hold their values (the epitome of the non-GT N/A 911, rendering it at the tip of modern classic 911's), but again, the "law of large numbers" comes into play. Yet, again, I don't think that'll apply to .1's so much. And then there's the GT3, which will probably never lose much value from what it's selling for today, and eventually appreciate sooner than the rest. But I imagine and expect their annual maintenance will be more costly than a Carrera.

Based on my observations, a good/desirable build is what determines the resale market on these cars the most. I was also set on an S, but my base was the only base I found that had PTV+, PASM, Sport Chrono, etc., so the MSRP was near some S MSRP's. And those options, along with the several mods the previous owner put on were more important to me than the extra 50 HP, so I was content, and it made my value metric all the much better. But if you can't find a base with all that stuff (i.e only standard suspensions, no performance options, etc.) then the S starts to become a compelling value proposition.

The next determination of resale on 991's, based on what I've observed, is mileage. That plays quite a role.

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
The price difference between the 2012.5 2013 and 2014 for similarly equipped vehicles currently is nothing. The best price point right now seems to be the 2014 as a properly equipped 2014S is selling for the same thing as a similarly equipped 2012.5S.
This is what I've found as well.

2012.5's are identical all the way up to 2016's, save for some PCM stuff and rev matching, which can make them a great value play, but considering they aren't selling for much if any less than 2014's, if one can find an equally desirable 2014, that's the way to go. On the flip side, I would without question choose a more desirable 2012.5 over a less desirable 2014 that costs the same.

Quick Reply: Used 991 purchase