Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashcam captures Porsche GTS break-in

Old 07-11-2018, 11:23 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

No worry.

I think the one thing that sucks about the number of devices that are powering off the OBD II port is that you have to put a splitter on it to power multiple devices and this port just wasn’t designed for that. On top of the physical limitations, the OBD II standard does not require device authentication at the protocol level, meaning a legitimate device that has had malware hacked on to it could access vital systems through this port. We’ve been told for years that the various buses that drive the electronics in modern vehicles are all firewalled off from each other but security researchers are finding that they can indeed get to braking, steering, and other critical systems... and the OBD II is designed for disgnostics so it is designed to connect to everything.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I have my car in storage mostly now except for when I take it on trips. It would be nice to have an easy camera set-up that has the features of the OWL. Knowing something about cyber security, I am concerned with plugging it in to the OBD II port. Since we have a power port right under the dash, it would make more sense to just plug it in there. I didn't see that they had multiple power options but somebody will figure it out.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:37 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I didn't find any alternative methods to the ODB hookup on their site, so I've pinged their support line and will let you know what they say about possible alternatives.... if any.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:46 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Their support has responded to two rounds of questions quickly:

When asked about the reasons for using the ODB connector and pointing out the problems with the fusebox door and additional ODB devices, this was the initial response:
"The camera uses the OBD for power as well as to monitor the car's battery health, and ensure it does not overdraw power. We have heard from quite a few customers using other OBD devices as well. An OBD splitter has worked in most cases, and sounds like it should for you as well."
After pointing out that ODB isn't needed to monitor battery health since ThinkWare and BlackVue can do it using hardwired solutions, and asking if it would be possible to hack the cable to use simple hardwiring, the answer was:
"I could not say for sure that the battery health is not received as data through the OBD as well. The camera was designed with OBD power in mind, I'm not sure how well it would work being hardwired. "

Since receiving these responses and digging through the web site a bit more, I saw this statement in the FAQs:
"The Owl Car Cam only draws power from the OBD connector (not data)"
I also saw that they offer a special kit for vehicles without ODB-II connectors (pre-1996, heavy trucks, and RVs). This would probably be the best way to go for those of us not wanting the ODB approach. So I've asked about the price of this since that info isn't listed on their site. I'll update one more time when the answer comes back.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
Their support has responded to two rounds of questions quickly:

When asked about the reasons for using the ODB connector and pointing out the problems with the fusebox door and additional ODB devices, this was the initial response:
"The camera uses the OBD for power as well as to monitor the car's battery health, and ensure it does not overdraw power. We have heard from quite a few customers using other OBD devices as well. An OBD splitter has worked in most cases, and sounds like it should for you as well."
After pointing out that ODB isn't needed to monitor battery health since ThinkWare and BlackVue can do it using hardwired solutions, and asking if it would be possible to hack the cable to use simple hardwiring, the answer was:
"I could not say for sure that the battery health is not received as data through the OBD as well. The camera was designed with OBD power in mind, I'm not sure how well it would work being hardwired. "

Since receiving these responses and digging through the web site a bit more, I saw this statement in the FAQs:
"The Owl Car Cam only draws power from the OBD connector (not data)"
I also saw that they offer a special kit for vehicles without ODB-II connectors (pre-1996, heavy trucks, and RVs). This would probably be the best way to go for those of us not wanting the ODB approach. So I've asked about the price of this since that info isn't listed on their site. I'll update one more time when the answer comes back.

Awesome, thanks so much for your time.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Awesome, thanks so much for your time.
Glad to help.

It turns out they don't have their own solution built yet. There are OBD adapters online for some other vehicle connector types.

The cleanest option I can immediately find would be to buy a female OBD-II shell like this one and just wire up the power leads.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-12-2018, 03:35 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Glad to help.

It turns out they don't have their own solution built yet. There are OBD adapters online for some other vehicle connector types.

The cleanest option I can immediately find would be to buy a female OBD-II shell like this one and just wire up the power leads.

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Connec.../dp/B06X91M9X1

Okay, thanks for your time and talent. I am leaning toward waiting on this to see if I can find a better solution.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:15 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I’m going to take a wait-and-see on this camera because of the power supply issue. I really don’t want a dongle with a bunch of devices hanging off my OBD II port. I’m willing to bet that they will offer something in the future that will draw power through another source, if for no other reason than the Tesla Model 3 doesn’t have an OBD II port and this company won’t want to miss this market given the early adopter profile that Tesla customers embrace.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:35 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

And I see he was finally caught thanks to the video.

Police matched the security video to Facebook and previous booking photos of Taylor Austin Alexander, 34. Alexander faces a criminal mischief charge, which is a state jail felony.
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...ted/1351580980
Old 08-07-2018, 06:31 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And I see he was finally caught thanks to the video.

Police matched the security video to Facebook and previous booking photos of Taylor Austin Alexander, 34. Alexander faces a criminal mischief charge, which is a state jail felony.
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...ted/1351580980
Jeeze. All that for a stinkin USED camera which he's gonna sell or pawn off for what? $100?

It's rotting time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashcam captures Porsche GTS break-in