Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right vs Left Front Radiator Fan Contest

Old 07-08-2018, 06:06 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Right vs Left Front Radiator Fan Contest

I noticed that my passenger side radiator fan would stay as long as 10 minutes after turning the car off on a hot day. I read threads about fan controller issue, rocks stuck in fan.... dirty radiator....so on. Removed the fan fender covers and everything was clean as well as both fan blades would rotate freely. One thread did mention that the dealer told them that each fan has separate functions...what the heck to they know.
What I noticed was the following..... that both fans would go on high speed when the A/C would go on. With the A/C off....the right fan would be on and somewhere around 230 degrees oil tempt (not water which usually just stayed in mid 190s) the left fan would kick in low or full speed. That was good.... both fans worked. Low speed would happen but I did not pay attention when. When I turned off the car the right fan would kick in but never the left....unless it was really hot.
So it appears that each fan worked independently of each other with different temp settings. I do not know why.....if I were a Porsche engineer I would make both fans go on a low speed and both fan go on at high speed depending on temperature. It would appear that under the present system eventually the right fan should fail before the left because of more use. I also noticed that the fan speed and turning on was dependent on oil and not radiator temperatures.
This was just an observation which I am ok with. Prior to this I thought I had an issue....but my car never overheated even in 110 degrees weather with the A/C full blast. I hope that this may help some who think they have a controller issue or fan issue.
Abe btw its a 2013 991.1
Old 07-08-2018, 06:55 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

I know that there is an a/c coil on the right side, but I am not sure if there is one on the left side.
Might be the cause of why the fans act differently

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Right vs Left Front Radiator Fan Contest