0%
K&N
83.33%
OEM (paper)
0%
Other
16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Ever had a MAF Problem with an Oiled Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 05:25 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Ever had a MAF Problem with an Oiled Air Filter?

I've seen all sorts of opinions about air filters RL and thought maybe a poll was in order. Question is, have you ever had a MAF sensor problem using:

1. BMC
2. K&N
3. Paper
4. Other

My Tech at the dealer really dislikes oiled filters because of potential MAF sensor problems. He is honest and trustworthy, and is not out to sell an OEM paper filter.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:39 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

BMC no issues
Old 07-06-2018, 05:57 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

This was recently published in our PCA chapters magazine, opinion of an Indy who writes the monthly tech topic.
https://issuu.com/pcagcr/docs/may_ka...35567/60274646
Supports what your dealer is telling you.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Well .... the PORSCHE GT3 RS uses BMC air filters as OEM.

Name:  photo988.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  564.0 KB
Old 07-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

^^ It’s a decent article, but a few items are not completely true. For example, there is not just one way for more air to go through a filter (larger holes is the example). The other way is larger surface area. Some aftermarket filters have larger surface area.

Also, mufflers certainly can produce less backpressure and can increase performance. It’s not true that just equal length headers or the throttle body is the only way to get more air into an engine. Engines are complete fluidynamic systems with interdependencies that all contribute to less or more airflow and at certain RPM ranges. Camshafts, valve sizes, intake manifolds, catalytic converts, and even crosspipes all can increase or lower performance.

I wish the article said that many Porsches are already designed for maximum performance and that performance upgrades for these cars often do nothing. Because it’s just not true for many other makes and models. But he’s right about the 996, and many other Porsche models.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:18 PM
flatsick
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No issues with my K&N's
Old 07-06-2018, 06:29 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Well, I am here to call BullSh!t on the article written by the Indy. He is mistaken in many areas of his article.

The amount of oil that impregnates the filter is minimal. To infer that the amount of oil is such that it could mess up the MAF sensor is pure speculation.
A better question/poll should be: Has anyone in any Porsche running a BMC ever had or heard of a MAF failure or alert? I haven't, not even once. I am not talking about any car, any model or any filter. I am saying I have never once heard of any Porsche owner reporting of a MAF issue using pre oiled BMC filters.

The BMC does not pass more dirt through to the engine, complete nonsense and more speculation. If the oil is there to trap more dirt over non oiled then how is more dirt passing through an oiled filter than dry paper filter? His answer is that the oiled filters have larger holes.. More BS.

Here is an excerpt from the tech sheet, unless someone is lying:
"Thanks to the combination of the different oiled layers, containment of all impurities is guaranteed as far as 7 microns, while paper filters generally require total filtration of particles as small as 10 microns. So BMC air filters let more air into the engine while still protecting it better than paper ones.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:35 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BMC filter here. On a weekly basis I reach into the intake and pull out globs of oil similar to honey. I've heard not running N rated tires can cause MAF issues also.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:40 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I have not done any performance related mods on my current car but enjoy reading and learning here from others.
I knew the exhaust portion of that write up would be controversial, the dyno results I’ve seen in some posts and websites show otherwise.
Performance aside the white glove test is an interesting idea, and I assume what sticks to the throttle body would stick to the MAF sensor?
Old 07-06-2018, 08:08 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Well, given that 991s have MAP rather than MAF sensors, this is an interesting poll.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:40 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
Well, given that 991s have MAP rather than MAF sensors, this is an interesting poll.
Dude are you sure? I have been asking and haven't got a straight answer yet, short of pulling my car apart yet to actually see. I was hoping it had MAP. If that is the case, than no fear using an oiled filter.

I never bothered reading the article as they always have a hidden agenda.

The majority of issues with Oiled filters are when the person who owns them, Services them, meaning cleans them and then re-oils them. People cannot help themselves, MORE is always better. Not in this instance.
I never reoil them. Don't usually keep the car long enough lol. But if you just use them from new, and actually replace them, rather than wash and re-oil, you shouldn't have a problem.

Whilst I have never had a problem, a guy that bought a BMW I had with the K & N, called me and "Claimed that the Maf's were fouled with oil." He said he cleaned them and the car had so much more power. Yeah, who knows.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:44 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

BMC. 3 years. No issues.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:46 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
BMC. 3 years. No issues.
We need someone to confirm if 991 has MAP. If it does have Manifold Absoloute Pressure sensor instead of a Mass Air Flow meter, than there is no hot wire for oil to stick to, and no one would ever have a problem.

We need PICS people, lol. It's not like we can just pop the hood.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:49 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Dude are you sure? I have been asking and haven't got a straight answer yet, short of pulling my car apart yet to actually see. I was hoping it had MAP. If that is the case, than no fear using an oiled filter.

I never bothered reading the article as they always have a hidden agenda.

The majority of issues with Oiled filters are when the person who owns them, Services them, meaning cleans them and then re-oils them. People cannot help themselves, MORE is always better. Not in this instance.
I never reoil them. Don't usally keep the car long enough lol. But if you just use them from new, and actually replace them, rather than wash and re-oil, you shouldn't have a problem.
I agree, I think most of the times your hearing about any fouling issues its user error.

I have run oiled filters on every one of my cars. A dozen cars later I've never had an issue, but I also, rarely keep cars longer than 2 or 3 years.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:25 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Quick Reply: Ever had a MAF Problem with an Oiled Air Filter?