Sponsored by:

Got the GTS cleaned up & tucked away for the summer today

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Got the GTS cleaned up & tucked away for the summer today

Kind of sad actually. Just got my repaired '18 GTS back from the PACC last week after getting rear-ended back in February, and now I have to put it up for the summer. Never understood why everyone puts their cars up for the winter, when that is the best driving weather.

Anyway, cleaned her up this AM, filled the gas tank, put some extra air in the tires, and plugged in the CTEK. Will be leaving on my 1500 mile trek north to the White Mountains of NH for a summer of hiking & fishing. Leaving early Friday morning, and will be returning around the 3rd week of September, or when the AM temps start dropping into the low 30's, whichever comes first.

This has become sort of an odd ritual for my sports car du jour since I retired.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:24 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Did some grocery shopping this morning. Left the Porsche in the garage and took my C300.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Kind of sad actually. Just got my repaired '18 GTS back from the PACC last week after getting rear-ended back in February, and now I have to put it up for the summer. Never understood why everyone puts their cars up for the winter, when that is the best driving weather.

Anyway, cleaned her up this AM, filled the gas tank, put some extra air in the tires, and plugged in the CTEK. Will be leaving on my 1500 mile trek north to the White Mountains of NH for a summer of hiking & fishing. Leaving early Friday morning, and will be returning around the 3rd week of September, or when the AM temps start dropping into the low 30's, whichever comes first.

This has become sort of an odd ritual for my sports car du jour since I retired.
Sounds like a fun trip!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:12 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Sometimes, life gets in the way. My schedule these past few weeks and leading into the end of July might net me 3-4 days in the car over a 6 week period. It's rough!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:15 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Why not take the Porsche to NH, where there are, no doubt, many amazing diving roads?
Old 07-05-2018, 12:29 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Never understood why everyone puts their cars up for the winter, when that is the best driving weather.
I don't get why anyone puts a car away for any period of time, but then again I live in CA and enjoy 12 months of driving weather.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Why not take the Porsche to NH, where there are, no doubt, many amazing diving roads?
It's just not very practical when I am going up for 10 weeks. First of all, I haul too much stuff. Besides all the normal long trip stuff, I have all my hiking gear, fishing gear (incl. an inflatable boat), my road bike, and you get the idea. Another problem is I have to go on a lot of sketchy gravel Forest Service roads that are only open in the summer to get to numerous trailheads, and some of my favorite fly fishing spots. No way I'm taking my GTS on those roads.

I'll most certainly take it if I go up for a short 1-2 week visit. Then it is an extended travel time trip. Go up to the Smokies and poke around there for a bit, and then the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive. I've done that several times in prior owned Vettes. And you're right, there are some great roads up there.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

It's just not very practical when I am going up for 10 weeks. First of all, I haul too much stuff. Besides all the normal long trip stuff, I have all my hiking gear, fishing gear (incl. an inflatable boat), my road bike, and you get the idea. Another problem is I have to go on a lot of sketchy gravel Forest Service roads that are only open in the summer to get to numerous trailheads, and some of my favorite fly fishing spots. No way I'm taking my GTS on those roads.

I'll most certainly take it if I go up for a short 1-2 week visit. Then it is an extended travel time trip. Go up to the Smokies and poke around there for a bit, and then the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive. I've done that several times in prior owned Vettes. And you're right, there are some great roads up there.
That sounds like an awesome trip!
Old 07-06-2018, 02:19 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Man oh man that sounds beautiful. You're doing it right. Porsches can wait.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:29 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
I don't get why anyone puts a car away for any period of time, no matter the weather.
Fixed it.

It's a car... meant for driving. Drive it!
Old 07-06-2018, 04:22 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane

Sounds like a fun trip!
Originally Posted by Hurricane

That sounds like an awesome trip!
It sounds like a wonderful trip!
Old 07-07-2018, 07:40 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Gordon
I live in NH and I have a house in Sugar Hill NH. I am up there a lot. Maybe we could go for a drive on the Kanc or wet a few lines in the Ammonoosuc river.

Quick Reply: Got the GTS cleaned up & tucked away for the summer today