Sponsored by:

991.1 Oil Level Sensor Troubles - Reading High

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:24 PM
venom914
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.1 Oil Level Sensor Troubles - Reading High

I've owned my 991.1 for a couple months now. Picked it up with only 9,700 miles on it. Drove it as it was traded in for a couple of days and everything was great until about 5 days in, oil level sensor was showing that Oil level was above max but still able to be driven. Took it to my dealership that I work at and had my Audi Tech give it a fresh oil change. Followed correct procedure and capacities and all was good. Drove another 5 or so days with no problem and then light comes back on. Had him take some oil back out (about half a qt) and light went away and level sensor read "good". Drove it for a couple of weeks and all was good, but then hit a hot day of about 100 degrees F, went to start the car and light came on once more. I do not believe that the vehicle is overfilled. My questions is do these sensors have a tendency to go bad often or anything? I was thinking it was something to do with the spike in temp around this area but I let the car cool down over night and light remains on. Common 991 occurrence? I know that IF the car is over the max level it really can't be by much so I will continue to drive and burn some off. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

The good thing is that changing a bad oil sensor is a very easy job. During the next oil change, all you have to do is drain the oil and loosen the oil sensor which is fastened on the oil pan, then put a new one in with a new gasket and torque it down to spec. Yes, oil sensors have a tendency to go bad.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:52 AM
venom914
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice, just seems odd that light wont come on even after days and days of driving and getting it up to good temp. Only after a cold start on a super hot day. Non the less, may just replace the sensor at next oil change
Old 07-03-2018, 02:24 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

If you work at a dealership snag a new sensor and have them replace.

That would drive me nuts.

Quick Reply: 991.1 Oil Level Sensor Troubles - Reading High