Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS Front Plate Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 07:35 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
I did the magnet mount on a previous car, rare earth magnets from ebay or amazon, amazingly good hold as mentioned already.
The frunk lid radio transponder is right at the top in front of the badge and a steady state magnetic field wouldn't cause a problem anyway.
So what’s the best way to adhere the magnets? Epoxy? Then suppose some sort of felt for the magnets on the mount to protect the paint when it’s being used?
Old 07-03-2018, 07:56 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc

So what’s the best way to adhere the magnets? Epoxy? Then suppose some sort of felt for the magnets on the mount to protect the paint when it’s being used?
Yep, expoxy to hold the magnets and I had clear bra on my front so I didnt do anything.
You could glue a little plastic disc ( or felt) on to the contact side if you like.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:04 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
Yep, expoxy to hold the magnets and I had clear bra on my front so I didnt do anything.
You could glue a little plastic disc ( or felt) on to the contact side if you like.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:57 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Here are all the details you need to know to use magnets to mount the front license plate on a 991.2 GTS:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1021...ate-mount.html
Old 07-03-2018, 09:57 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

This is what I am getting for my TTS. Bracket moves down so the plate doesn't block the sensor and not in the middle to block the ACC bulb.

https://www.rho-plate.com/products/p...7-rho-plate-v2

-TJ
Old 07-04-2018, 12:26 AM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

I just installed the front plate magnet setup yesterday eve. For adhering the magnets to the inside of the bumper cover, I used 3M VHB tape. For the license mounting plate, I plan to use JB Weld.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:26 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
Or glue magnets to the back of the plate and under the front bumper. Takes about 30 lbs of pull to remove it and leaves no marks.
Take it off and on as needed.
^^ This is what I did on my 991.2 GTS. I’m in VA, but live in an area where no front tag is not enforced. At least I have never been pulled over and don’t know anyone that has. But if I’m traveling somewhere else or have another reason to temporarily mount the plate, I just stick it on and let the magnets do their magic. The plate frame is firmly attached and it also self aligns when the magnets are properly installed. I just couldn’t bear to drill holes in the front bumper of such a beautiful car. FWIW, I’d say 80-90% of the vehicles sold at my local dealer don’t have the plate frame screwed to the front bumper.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:54 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts

I did Skene design...and will mount it probably this weekend...as for some reason they now do front plate checks when I go thru the gate at work now (randomly) and have mentioned on more than one ocassion that my state requires two plates...respectfully of course due to my rank/position! LOL Can't get away with "just got the car out of storage/delivery and waiting for a new front plate bracket" forever. Will hate it as I've run without one for almost 8+ yrs on my Carreras and Caymans but I do need to get thru the gates to my office/to work so...when in Rome.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:35 AM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

That reminds me... I have a new unused Skene Design plate mount that I want to sell. PM me if interested.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:14 AM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

https://www.rho-plate.com/pages/rho-plate-v2

I use the ones with adapters
Old 07-04-2018, 09:25 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc

I used JB Weld Quick Set. Make sure you scuff sand the areas there the magnet will attach (and the magnets too) with 150 grit, and then clean the area with IPA.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:39 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
3M double sided automotive trim tape.

Mount any any height or location you want.
Curves plate to match bumper
Will stay on 5 years (and counting) yet removes easily if desired
Same method euro delivery uses to mount your temp front plate.
Does not require drilling or removing anything.
Cheap

.......great idea, but I wonder if the 3M would damage my PPF film if taking on and off b
Old 07-15-2018, 11:38 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Any conclusion for the best option in GTS without ACC?

I was thinking to use adaptor / extender and install the number plate in the low plastic center of the front bumber.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:49 AM
USMC10
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nilaz
Any conclusion for the best option in GTS without ACC?

I was thinking to use adaptor / extender and install the number plate in the low plastic center of the front bumber.
Concensus is that doubled sided tape is the most effective, most economical, most athletically pleasing, and least intrusive method. It's what Porsche used on the front bumper of my Turbo S during European delivery in May when I picked up the car in Stuttgart...so I guess it's even good enough for Porsche engineers. If you want the plate centered, this seems to be the best option. If you don't mind it canted off to the side, there are tow hook options. I personally am going with the double sided automotive tape. It'll be going over PPF so no chance of any damage to the paint.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:08 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

For sure double side automotive tape should be OK.
My only concern is that neither double side tape or Porsche OEM plastic base will distract the perfect curve of the front bumber.

That is why I am considering to use double side tape and one extension which will be sticked to the lower black plastic area of front bumber and screw the plate on the extension.

I have to wait my car to arrive measure the height of the black plastic area and make a custom base to install the front plate.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS Front Plate Mount?