Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do you plan on keeping your 991?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
As I've been unhappy with my 2014 since it arrived new I've already been tempted to sell it, but I keep thinking that at some point I can get the darn thing to stop rattling and if that's the case I'm going to hold onto it. I love how it drives and the sound of the engine, but I'm sick of bringing it into the dealership again and again to fix the squeaks and rattles.

I got a lot of them fixed and then also got new tires that make the car feel much more connected and enjoyable to drive so I was thinking I'm going to keep it for many more years. Then the other day one of the rattles came back. Sounds like from somewhere on the passenger side around the visor area. It's like something is loose there and it's extremely annoying.

I've driven and been in many cars, but none have been built this poorly. Right before driving the 911 I drove a 1997 Ford and obviously it's a completely different experience, but I loved not having anything rattling in my ear the whole time even on such and older and cheaper car. If I were to sell the 911 because of the poor quality and inability of the dealership to fix it or take it seriously I doubt I'd return to Porsche. The thing is I need a sports car with a manual transmission since I don't enjoy driving automatics, so if there aren't a lot of choices with new one I'd go with something used.
Change yours for one that doesn't rattle, I hate rattles, mine is 100% silent... other that the "bass rattle" if you push the sound system too hard at times.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:25 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 911seeker
Change yours for one that doesn't rattle, I hate rattles, mine is 100% silent... other that the "bass rattle" if you push the sound system too hard at times.
Lol yeah same here. Not to excuse the Bose people, but some songs it absolutely rocks and others it can't handle so I chalk it up to something in the song coding IDK.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:26 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911seeker
When it's not rattling I love the car, but how can I find one that is silent? At the dealership the service adviser told me the 991 is built much worse than the 997 and that it has clips instead of screws to save money so it's harder to fix. That didn't exactly inspire confidence in finding one that is silent and well made.

That being said, if I were to get another 911 I was thinking of the GT3 MT w/out the wing since it seems like the ultimate NA 911 of this generation. I'd just be really reluctant because I know the GT3 is supposed to be even lighter and more track focused so I'm guessing part of making it lighter is getting rid of sound insulation. Other than that I don't know I'd get.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:29 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I think Porsche is used to grumpy old guys complaining about change. It's the same old story every time a new generation (or refresh) is released. Somehow they always manage to sell plenty of cars anyway, and they are the ones laughing all the way to the bank. Trust me, the 992 will have plenty of buyers.
No doubt. And many of the buyers will be those grumpy old guys.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:42 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I think Porsche is used to grumpy old guys complaining about change. It's the same old story every time a new generation (or refresh) is released. Somehow they always manage to sell plenty of cars anyway, and they are the ones laughing all the way to the bank. Trust me, the 992 will have plenty of buyers.
Some are will be obligatory grumpy and old "anti changers," and many simply are not enamored with a direction that strays too far from the iconic 911 potion. ICE cars stir my soul, but my brain is pro-EV, which I think are appropriate with screens and tech-fluff everywhere, yet I don't want screens and a tiny nub shifter in my 911. I see every car as a piece of art, and as such, the best art focuses on one primary theme. 911 buyers tend to put their money where their mouths are (GT3's, R, manuals in desirable/rawer packages, etc. all get marked up and increase heavily in value), so it's no coincidence that each generation that 911 buyers complain about getting "softer/quieter" etc. decline in sales (outside of the China market, which is its own world as it has no 911 history to go by, and just started getting these cars). Also no coincidence that the one 911 model that has increased in sales out here, is the .2 GT3 simply because it brought a manual back.

991.1's sold less than 996's in the U.S and EU, 991.2's are selling less than 991.1's in those same markets. The 992 will certainly have buyers, MAJORLY in China which the car is primarily built for, but I have little doubt it'll decline from the 991 generation.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:30 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Some are will be obligatory grumpy and old "anti changers," and many simply are not enamored with a direction that strays too far from the iconic 911 potion. ICE cars stir my soul, but my brain is pro-EV, which I think are appropriate with screens and tech-fluff everywhere, yet I don't want screens and a tiny nub shifter in my 911. I see every car as a piece of art, and as such, the best art focuses on one primary theme. 911 buyers tend to put their money where their mouths are (GT3's, R, manuals in desirable/rawer packages, etc. all get marked up and increase heavily in value), so it's no coincidence that each generation that 911 buyers complain about getting "softer/quieter" etc. decline in sales (outside of the China market, which is its own world as it has no 911 history to go by, and just started getting these cars). Also no coincidence that the one 911 model that has increased in sales out here, is the .2 GT3 simply because it brought a manual back.

991.1's sold less than 996's in the U.S and EU, 991.2's are selling less than 991.1's in those same markets. The 992 will certainly have buyers, MAJORLY in China which the car is primarily built for, but I have little doubt it'll decline from the 991 generation.
where do you get those numbers from?

EU - seems like its doing better than ever
http://carsalesbase.com/european-car...e/porsche-911/

US - seems like its similar to the past 10 year average
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...e/porsche-911/

Not sure where this self imagined decline of 911 sales is coming from
Old 07-06-2018, 07:07 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by basic666
where do you get those numbers from?

EU - seems like its doing better than ever
http://carsalesbase.com/european-car...e/porsche-911/

US - seems like its similar to the past 10 year average
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...e/porsche-911/

Not sure where this self imagined decline of 911 sales is coming from
In terms of U.S sales, they're coming from factual sales figures. 991.2's are selling less in U.S than 991.1's were. And 991's best year sold less than late 996's/early 997's best year. EU seems to be doing alright, and of course China will buy up whatever Porsche gives them for some time to come.

Regardless, newer models are generally expected to increase sale over older models, so even in EU, sales of 991's are less than late 996's/early 997's.

And before someone says "all sports car sales figures are down," that gets to the crux of my initial point (to what I was replying to) here. People who don't find themselves motivated and inspired by sports cars, will find less reason to buy them. Therefore, many resisters to the changing character of sports cars, will literally put their money where their mouths are. Just look to air cooled used prices often surpassing brand new 911 prices. Or 997.2 and 991.1 prices not only holding steady, but increasing to sometimes pretty insane degrees since 2016, which is unheard of for such new cars, coming off of warranty, that sell at such volume.

Also, bear in mind that auto sales in general are higher today than they were 5 years ago, and Porsche overall sales are also higher.

Last edited by K-A; 07-06-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:06 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
In terms of U.S sales, they're coming from factual sales figures. 991.2's are selling less in U.S than 991.1's were. And 991's best year sold less than late 996's/early 997's best year. EU seems to be doing alright, and of course China will buy up whatever Porsche gives them for some time to come.
With all the talk about 911 allocations getting harder to come by for the 991.2, which was also my experience because I couldn't get an allocation for a new Turbo S nor a new GTS, I wonder how much of the reason for lowers sales is less supply? It seems like there are many people that want cars but can't easily get them. I don't recall this being the case before the 991.2.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:00 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Regardless, newer models are generally expected to increase sale over older models, so even in EU, sales of 991's are less than late 996's/early 997's.

And before someone says "all sports car sales figures are down," that gets to the crux of my initial point (to what I was replying to) here. People who don't find themselves motivated and inspired by sports cars, will find less reason to buy them. Therefore, many resisters to the changing character of sports cars, will literally put their money where their mouths are. Just look to air cooled used prices often surpassing brand new 911 prices. Or 997.2 and 991.1 prices not only holding steady, but increasing to sometimes pretty insane degrees since 2016, which is unheard of for such new cars, coming off of warranty, that sell at such volume.

Also, bear in mind that auto sales in general are higher today than they were 5 years ago, and Porsche overall sales are also higher.

Sales started declining in 2015, not 2017, - not surprising given that we are now in the 8th model year of the 991 with the 9th right around the corner (and the release of the 992 after that).
Old 07-06-2018, 11:01 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Lol yeah same here. Not to excuse the Bose people, but some songs it absolutely rocks and others it can't handle so I chalk it up to something in the song coding IDK.
I have the base system and one of the car's many rattles was whenever I had the radio on, even with talk radio or an audio book. Fortunately they fixed it.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:11 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Sales started declining in 2015, not 2017, - not surprising given that we are now in the 8th model year of the 991 with the 9th right around the corner (and the release of the 992 after that).
Yeah indeed, but I can’t remember the last time I saw the last years of a pre facelift outperform the first years of a facelift. In the U.S at least, as I don’t follow the dynamics of other markets.

Either way, a sales argument on a relatively boutique enthusiast car like a 911’s board is pointless. My point was really to highlight how the “some people resist change” argument, in the automotive world, is a cop out to convince oneself to diminish the opinion of people they don’t agree with, when it comes to those people not buying a replacement model that they don’t prefer. I love change in tons of areas in life, but just because I won’t buy a newer model isn’t because I “don’t like change.” That was simply my point.

With all the talk about 911 allocations getting harder to come by for the 991.2, which was also my experience because I couldn't get an allocation for a new Turbo S nor a new GTS, I wonder how much of the reason for lowers sales is less supply? It seems like there are many people that want cars but can't easily get them. I don't recall this being the case before the 991.2.
Could be, I’ve heard allocations are nil. However, 2016 and 2017 didn’t have those issues, yet 2018 model year has slightly upticked from 2017 in sales (still well under ‘13-15 though). Almost doesn’t make sense, but go figure.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:17 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I have the base system and one of the car's many rattles was whenever I had the radio on, even with talk radio or an audio book. Fortunately they fixed it.
Do you know what they did?

My car is surprisingly rattle free, but with the windows up, every now and then I notice some “groaning” sounds coming from the headliner above my left ear, like where the window meets the headliner. It bugs me when it’s happening, though I almost always have my windows at least a bit down. Bass seems to activate it, or cover it up I guess.

Quick Reply: How long do you plan on keeping your 991?