Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do you plan on keeping your 991?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:56 PM
jrf313
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2015 991.1 has CPO until 2021. It will be around at least until then unless reliability starts to become an issue. It has been a blast so far.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:02 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Like I did with some other previous Porsches, I consider my 2017 as a forever car. This time, my age plus retirement life (i.e. not using the car as a DD), it might be true.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:12 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I am keeping my 991.1 GTS cab (PDK) until its - or my - wheels fall off. Whichever comes first. I'm hoping to DD this car until I retire (I won't be retiring for 20+ years). It is just an amazing daily driver with a Jekyll and Hyde character - can be totally docile and relaxing for my early morning drives to work but when I am in the mood, I go into manual mode, sport mode with PSE and let her rip. I am awaiting a GT3T which I will also keep forever. I am hoping that I'll be done with car purchases for a long, long time.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:32 PM
EZ E
Pro

Received 396 Likes on 194 Posts

I spent weeks look at cars all over the USA. I picked up a 2016 C4 GTS with the Aero kit. I plan on holding on to this one and ordering a new one in a couple years. I love the last of the normally aspirated engines. First experience with PDK and it's a load of fun, love the rev matching. I do miss shifting!!!
Old 06-30-2018, 11:40 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

My 991.2 GTS will likely be the last 911 that I will buy. I am in my mid 60’s, I ordered the car to my specs instead of compromising with a lot car, and I absolutely love the car. By the time I wear it out I’ll be worn out. So the 911 and I are on the same time table. Not to mention my 991.2 GTS is absolutely the nicest and best handling car that I have ever driven.

Last edited by flickroll; 07-01-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:42 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I currently have a tuned 991.2 GTS cab that is a perfect near daily driver and family car, and I have a 991.2 GT3 on order, being delivered later this year. I typically don't keep my cars very long, but looking around the car landscape I just don't know what I'd replace them with. Ferraris don't do anything for me, and I don't like the company nor the dealerships. McLarens are fast but quality is questionable and depreciation sucks, and besides being quick they're not very exciting to drive. I had a standard Huracan and it was boring, but perhaps a Performante? That's really the only thing I can think of that I might be interested in. I'm not sure whether I should be frustrated or happy that I'm stuck with these cars because there's nothing else better out there.

​​​​​
Old 07-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Got_Corners?
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Satiated

been following this forum for years, learned a ton from you folks (and very greatful). but this thread has gotten me to chime in. I am a first time Porsche owner, bought a 991.1 c2s cab late last year. Been a ford cobra owner for 12 yrs prior. Bought the same model yr (2003 Terminator) 3 times and modded and tinkered to achieve brutally fast/loud straight line street cars. This 991 is by all means the last car I will own. What it (may) lack in straight line power it more than makes up for in cornering, braking and fun-to-drive factors. It's draws so much positive attention and thumbs up from fellow auto enthusiasts as well.
Really appreciate the na nuances. I do wish the .2 targa gts was avail in rwd only. It's the only car I would replace my current with.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default 964

15 years, then I will trade it for a personal electric flying device from Tesla. I traded my 964 after only 14 but it had humpty dumpty syndrome.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I plan on keeping my PDK car only until my girlfriend takes it off my hands at which point I will replace with another 991.1 or a 997.2 that has a manual shifter for my daily driver. My manual 360 I plan to keep forever as my weekend car.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:52 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I currently have a tuned 991.2 GTS cab that is a perfect near daily driver and family car, and I have a 991.2 GT3 on order, being delivered later this year. I typically don't keep my cars very long, but looking around the car landscape I just don't know what I'd replace them with. Ferraris don't do anything for me, and I don't like the company nor the dealerships. McLarens are fast but quality is questionable and depreciation sucks, and besides being quick they're not very exciting to drive. I had a standard Huracan and it was boring, but perhaps a Performante? That's really the only thing I can think of that I might be interested in. I'm not sure whether I should be frustrated or happy that I'm stuck with these cars because there's nothing else better out there.

​​​​​
Porsche’s are the best value in the supercar world. I agree with you about Ferrari dealerships. I have no idea why they are arrogant. I have heard horror stories. Porsche’s are a higher quality built compared to their Italian counter parts as you outlined above.
Enjoy your car. I M. New 991 owner as of 2 weeks ago.
Happy 4 th.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:18 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Will be interesting to see what surprises are in the 992. What motivations it may cause to change.
I am ecstatic with my car and can’t see anything that would cause me to change but one never knows.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:03 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Got_Corners?
been following this forum for years, learned a ton from you folks (and very greatful). but this thread has gotten me to chime in. I am a first time Porsche owner, bought a 991.1 c2s cab late last year. Been a ford cobra owner for 12 yrs prior. Bought the same model yr (2003 Terminator) 3 times and modded and tinkered to achieve brutally fast/loud straight line street cars. This 991 is by all means the last car I will own. What it (may) lack in straight line power it more than makes up for in cornering, braking and fun-to-drive factors. It's draws so much positive attention and thumbs up from fellow auto enthusiasts as well.
Really appreciate the na nuances. I do wish the .2 targa gts was avail in rwd only. It's the only car I would replace my current with.
That's just it. New generation cars are fast as stink especially now that everything is turbocharged, but are they really more fun to drive? That is the question. I'm thinking about replacing my M4 daily with a new M5. 600 hp. 0-60 in 2.8 sec and storms the 1/4 mile a tenth slower than a new Ford GT! Way faster than my GTS but I doubt it will be any more fun on my local back roads.

J
Old 07-01-2018, 03:12 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd

Porsche’s are the best value in the supercar world. I agree with you about Ferrari dealerships. I have no idea why they are arrogant. I have heard horror stories. Porsche’s are a higher quality built compared to their Italian counter parts as you outlined above.
Enjoy your car. I M. New 991 owner as of 2 weeks ago.
Happy 4 th.
Ferrari dealerships aren't arrogant in reality. I have attended two events and they were very welcoming. I have only bought one car from my salesperson there.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I typically buy new and keep for 5 years. However, I just bought a 2017 C2S with 4000 miles after selling a C7 Z51. My plans are to keep this car until the 992’s come out and then see if I can find a like new used one about a year old with low mileage. I admit it’s hard to buy used when you are used to buying new.......but if you can it’s nice letting someone else have the pleasure of taking that first year depreciation hit. I loved the Corvette but like the Porsche a little but better in every way. The upcoming C8 ME would be the only sports car to pull me away from another 911. We will see.....nice to have options.....and even nicer not being a fanboy to any particular marquee!
Old 07-01-2018, 03:58 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
I would say that Ferraris or other cars more on the exotic end of the spectrum don’t really replace Porsches but rather complement them nicely. Same as owning an SUV or truck to go skiing or haul large items doesn’t replace the 911 but complements it.

Quick Reply: How long do you plan on keeping your 991?