Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I lost one of my exhaust tips on the freeway!!! Options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:01 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Got a nail in sidewall. Pirelli gimme a free tire.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:13 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

I'd go PSE OEM tips or try AWE...had those before and they were great and never lost a set. Otherwise give Fabspeed a chance after things open back up this week seems reasonable.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:32 PM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Apples and oranges. Tires are a consumable item that are subject wear and damage. A stainless exhaust system doesn't (or shouldn't) wear out. If properly installed and it falls apart, it's a defect, not from use or wear and tear.

There are many companies that stand by their products regardless of original purchaser or not... wouldn't it be great PR if the OP posted that they had an issue and the manufacturer stepped up? Hopefully they will.

Originally Posted by STG
Old 06-30-2018, 10:48 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
More like: my tire just spontaneously fell off. Pirelli, gimme a new tire (and wheel).
Old 06-30-2018, 11:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by bkrantz
More like: my tire just spontaneously fell off. Pirelli, gimme a new tire (and wheel).

Correct ....

I'd rather assume responsibility seeing could have been LOOSE to start with and bought the car already with the exhaust installed by the previous owner.

Shame a manufacturer and try and get a freebie. Ummmmmm ... not me.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:05 AM
997c2sla
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Correct ....

I'd rather assume responsibility seeing could have been LOOSE to start with and bought the car already with the exhaust installed by the previous owner.

Shame a manufacturer and try and get a freebie. Ummmmmm ... not me.
STG,

to be honest, you always like to comment on all of my threads for no apparent reason implying things that I did not say/ask/wish for.
I do not want anything free from anyone and i am not bashing anybody.
If i wanted to bash someone I would have wrote the name of the company in my thread which I did not.

I just asked which company you recommend i go with to replace the left tip that i lost since this is apparently the third time this happens with my 991.
Your only solution was trolling my post with useless pictures of some walmart crap.
I know lots of people like your style and I am happy for you.

Keep on trolling.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:10 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,740 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoquestMotorsports
OP, I'm sorry to see you've lost an exhaust tip that is never a fun thing! I've seen some tips fall off exhausts before, a number of which have been factory. It's a car, driven on roads, most of which aren't well maintained...it happens. I would be happy to try and lend you a hand on some tip selections outside of Fabspeed, although I'd expect one of their reps to step in and lend you a hand once they pick up on this thread earlier next week. My cell is 484 883 6197, and you can give me a call any time. As long as I'm not on the track, on the other line, or getting a death stare from my wife...I'd be happy to chat with you.
No, it does not. Happen.

At least not on any regular basis.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:34 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Last Fall I walked out to my garage and found my drivers side OEM PSE exhaust tip hanging straight down vertically. It had rotated 90 degrees vertical. Freaked me out! It wasn’t rattle-loose, but I could easily rotate it back by hand. It took a couple full turns of the pinch bolt to snug everything back up. And I added some torque to the passenger side for good measure. So.....it happens.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by 997c2sla
Hi,

I believe I lost one of my fabspeed exhaust tips on the freeway today!!!!!
Did not notice anything and when I parked the car the left tip was gone.
I have a fabspeed supersport x pipe exhaust.

What are my options besides buying a replacement from Fabspeed for $315 (for one tip)?
Do you recommend something else?

As usual, thank you for your time.

Hello All,
Phil from Fabspeed here. First, I would like to say sorry for taking so long to jump on this thread. Second, thank you everyone for support on this topic, as well as opinions that are not in support of Fabspeed. Discussions like this help everyone, it may help the OP, Fabspeed Motorsport, or it may help in other decisions that members have to make for these wonderful vehicles. I am posting this from my cell as we speak so very sorry if there is a typo or two.

With that being said.
Fabspeed stands behind our products with an industry leading limited lifetime warranty and a transferable lifetime warranty that any second owner can take for advantage of.
I know this thread was not started as a Fabspeed bashing thread and I actually had a great conversation with OP on Friday and I thanked him for his honesty about which owner he is. (We do ask questions about the system so it probably would have come out that he/you are not the original owner I don't suggest trying this especially with a bigger issue on the exhaust.)

As for the installation and usage of the products. These are bolt on tips and exhaust vibrate a lot on these vehicles as well as get very hot, doing a quick check after running the vehicle hard is not out of the question or while you are washing the car. I am sure everyone does pre and post track inspections on their vehicles. There is no CEL for a tip bolt becoming loose.

Also during installation of our systems if you are a shop or a DIYer. Please make sure you heat soak the system. We have heardabout bolts becoming loose and issues with the exhaust. With any bolts you should check them occasionally that could have been avoided by getting the system hot and tightening everything one more time just to make sure nothing has come loose. I am not saying you have to check everytime you drive the car but about as often as you check your lug nuts.

OP I will be reaching out via email shortly I am sure we can figure something out. If anyone has any questions. I will be glad to hear from you.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:23 AM
STG
Race Director

STG,

to be honest, you always like to comment on all of my threads for no apparent reason implying things that I did not say/ask/wish for.
I do not want anything free from anyone and i am not bashing anybody.
If i wanted to bash someone I would have wrote the name of the company in my thread which I did not.

I just asked which company you recommend i go with to replace the left tip that i lost since this is apparently the third time this happens with my 991.
Your only solution was trolling my post with useless pictures of some walmart crap.
I know lots of people like your style and I am happy for you.

Keep on trolling.

Sorry, didn't even realize it was you with the car FOR SALE. So you need a new exhaust tip for a car you currently have for sale correct?? So you've owned this car for how long, since Feb 2018 and finally falls off?

Name:  photo30.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  381.2 KB

Ironic Fabspeed gave you a congrats >>
Name:  photo153.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  180.6 KB

But yet you still have the stock exhaust you can put on which probably has tips:

Name:  photo491.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  310.0 KB

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...07-2018-a.html

To quote you regarding "not mentioning the company" >>>>>

"I have a fabspeed supersport x pipe exhaust. What are my options besides buying a replacement from Fabspeed for $315 (for one tip)?"

My advice >>> tip falls off, you have a car for sale, call and buy a replacement. Easy as that. Duh.

You have a car for sale and "won't entertain offers", but expecting a free handout?? Typical. Geez.

Good luck.

WP0AA2A91DS106221

Last edited by STG; 07-01-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:34 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

"industry leading limited lifetime warranty and a transferable lifetime warranty that any second owner can take for advantage of"

If this is the case then why cant the current owner (OP) get a replacement?
Old 07-01-2018, 09:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
"industry leading limited lifetime warranty and a transferable lifetime warranty that any second owner can take for advantage of"

If this is the case then why cant the current owner (OP) get a replacement?
I thought the exact same thing when I read that.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:02 AM
STG
Race Director

Assume it wouldn't cover installation error or damage caused outside their control ....

That being said, the quality of these tips isn't anywhere near OEM. The bolt mounting system isn't the best. At the same time, OEM Porsche PSE tips cost like 2x these.

Name:  photo400.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  photo135.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  788.6 KB

A basic nut and bolt? What keeps the nut tight and from rattling off??

Porsche OEM

Name:  photo698.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  1.34 MB

Name:  photo194.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  1.35 MB
Old 07-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Just to be clear this did not want to be a thread where I bash fabspeed.
i contacted them yesterday explaining the situation after talking with previous owner.
previous owner did say that 2 tips fell off during his ownership.
they will not send me a new tip because I am not the one who purchased the product.
i was upfront with them and I have no issue if this is their policy.
they sell a set for 595 and they offered me 315 for one.
since this is the third time it happened I d rather go a different route and buy 2 different tips that will fit.
don t want to spend the money and in the near future have the same issue.
if you guys know what I could replace them with or have any for sale please let me know.
tbank you very much
Don't go back to the source that keeps failing. Spend the money, get a good set that will stay on. Cheaper in the long run.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:25 PM
997c2sla
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

STG:

like i told you before what i do with my cars is none of your business.
You can keep on trolling, I do not care.

I started this thread to ask forum members what I could replace the tip that fell off with and got some great responses.
You are the only one that claims that I started this thread to get a free replacement.

I bought the car in February, yes. And so what?
Before I had a 997.2 4s cabrio manual, before that a 997.1 s cabrio manual. Yes. And so what?
Do I have to ask you permission for what I do with my cars? I do not think so.

Yes my car is listed for sale because i wanted to buy a 991.2 in manual. It is the cheapest (still) CPO 991 in the United States of America. And so what?
If nobody wants to pay my asking price, I will keep it and wait for the 992. Are you ok with it STG?lol

The fact that you posted 16088 times on this forum does not impress me and I do not care for your opinion nor advice.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: I lost one of my exhaust tips on the freeway!!! Options?