Rear Spoiler Deployment

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 11:53 AM
caritch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Spoiler Deployment

Hi All
I am sure I am setting myself up for some fun comments - but have noticed my spoiler is not fully deploying. I drive a 991.2 C4 GTS. I noticed early on when the sunroof was tilted open the spoiler deployed more (instead of seeing a small portion in the rear view mirror - you could see almost the entire thing). This second stage is no longer happening with the sunroof tilted open. I noticed this after my 1st annual service about a month ago. I also noticed the other day that it did not fully retract when I came to a stop light - however it did retract as soon as I started to move when the light turned green.

There are no error messages. I am going to bring the car in. Has anyone had the same issue or have an idea of what it could be? Software? Would like to get some thoughts.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:59 AM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caritch
Hi All
I am sure I am setting myself up for some fun comments - but have noticed my spoiler is not fully deploying. I drive a 991.2 C4 GTS. I noticed early on when the sunroof was tilted open the spoiler deployed more (instead of seeing a small portion in the rear view mirror - you could see almost the entire thing). This second stage is no longer happening with the sunroof tilted open. I noticed this after my 1st annual service about a month ago. I also noticed the other day that it did not fully retract when I came to a stop light - however it did retract as soon as I started to move when the light turned green.

There are no error messages. I am going to bring the car in. Has anyone had the same issue or have an idea of what it could be? Software? Would like to get some thoughts.
Spoiler function is dictated by a number of criteria; speed, sunroof status, coolant temp, etc. There isn't one definite setting for any given scenario.

The fully extended position when your sunroof is open only actives at a certain speed. Its possible you were below that speed, or you had only engaged the vent function vs. the open function. Open sunroof at 70mph should yield the spoiler to be in its most extended position.

As far as the spoiler not retracting at a stop, the spoiler often stays open to provide additional cooling when the coolant temperature is high. It probably remained open to maximize cooling and once the target temp was reached it retracted.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:20 PM
caritch
Instructor

Thanks. I will do some more testing!
Old 06-29-2018, 09:32 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Let us know what you find. I have a 2017 C2S and I see the spoiler all the time, but how you have me curious, I'm going to try it with different sun roof positions. I had my car in for service and took a 2017 C4S home for 5 days and the whole time I could never see the spoiler, I thought it very odd.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:06 AM
caritch
Instructor

Will do. There may be a difference in deployment with pasm v spasm. My car has spasm.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Let us know what you find. I have a 2017 C2S and I see the spoiler all the time, but how you have me curious, I'm going to try it with different sun roof positions. I had my car in for service and took a 2017 C4S home for 5 days and the whole time I could never see the spoiler, I thought it very odd.
Did the c4s have a sunroof? I have read the sunroof being open creates a higher lift of the spoiler. I don’t have a sunroof on my 2017 c2s so have to really squirm in seat to see if it’s deployed.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:29 PM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine deploys (told by others who’ve driven around me) but I can never see it from my mirrors. I’m 6’2” and keep my seat low to the floor so perhaps that has something to do with my rear sight lines. Don’t know. Based on my natural curiosities I would love to see it responding to the different conditions mentioned previously.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:10 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a GTS and I can see it deploy (just barely above the sat/gps bump when sunroof is closed...have to crane my neck up a bit to see it) When sunroof is open (vent) it lifts much higher and takes up half my rear vision once I hit about 130km/h, I think it does this earlier when sunroof is completely opened. (Haven’t paid too much attention to be honest).

Have no idea what that high position looks like on the outside however.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:19 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Thought I would contribute since I have recently thought of posting something about this.

I've seen comments which say that only cars with S-PASM have spoilers which automatically raise to the higher level. I have a 2014 C2 with non-S PASM and mine raises to the higher level. It doesn't seem consistent, though, as the OP mentioned. I haven't been around my car for a while and need more time to pin down what the criterion are more precisely but this shot was with the sunroof open and Sport Plus selected. The spoiler is clearly visible versus not at all in the mid-rise position.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 AM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

That is way low compared to my (high) deployment. Mine looks like it flips upwards into a big duck, but can’t confirm if it just goes significantly higher or changes angle.

Seeing how how it happens at over 130km/h and my phone is in the console due to CarPlay, hadn’t had a chance to snap a photo...nor see the reflection in buildings given it’s only when on the highways when I’m at that speed.

Wish I could see an exterior pic of it as I have no idea what it looks like....but I know it’s way higher that that picture as it blocks out what seems like half my rear view.

Photo looks like what my normal deployment looks like. C4 GTS
Old 07-02-2018, 09:06 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I could never see the spoiler deployed on my 991.1S, even at high speeds above 75 (when I knew it was deployed). On my 991.2GTS, it goes up and down all the time and I can actually see it in the rear view mirror.

I went on a drive and dine a few months ago and the guy behind me on the drive asked if I kept raising and lowering my spoiler manually. I said no, it was all automatic. On the 991.2 it sure likes to move!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:32 AM
caritch
Instructor

Same for me as @hbear. Picture is my normal deployment which I still see (thanks for that pic!). I'm still in a quest to get it to fully extent like it used too. Could not get out for testing this weekend. Hopefully some good heat, high speed and road time on July 4th...
Old 07-02-2018, 02:34 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as I am aware the spoiler only needs to extend to its highest position when the aerodynamics change of the car from the opening of the sunroof. The sunroof changes the airflow over the car and I am assuming increases the low pressure area behind the car which could make it unstable if the spoiler wasn't fully extended into its highest position. The highest position is probably not good for efficiency since its creating so much drag, so it doesn't make sense (as far as function) for it to be in that position at any other time. It would be kind of cool for track days, but I am assuming if it really assisted with traction at low speeds, the Sport (+) setting should include a fully extended spoiler position.

Since you cannot control its deployment in any capacity, I'm not sure why this is of such interest to everyone. Driving around I've seen them in multiple positions. I don't even know if there's only 3 position, there could be more. Its been very hot here and my spoiler has been deploying at 20mph regularly to help with cooling.

My only testing suggestion would be to perhaps run the car in Sport + and see if the spoiler extends further on hwy speeds.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:17 PM
caritch
Instructor

And it works. Deploys to second stage (sunroof tilted) at 78mph. Picture attached.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2018, 06:06 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Mines always fully deployed at all speeds!

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler Deployment