Sponsored by:

991.2 COBB tune - Impressions and Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 08:21 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I am ordering those as we speak! They cost half as much as some crazy muffler upgrades and are apparently worth their weight in gold!
can someone explain what is the difference between an IC and a radiator?

Old 07-19-2018, 08:37 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
My car came with that active cruise control camera (Big ball in centre of car. Will that effect my ability to get the third radiator? (It gets hot here.)
You would think they would a variant of the radiator assembly that would work with ACC.

Originally Posted by good2go

A radiator is for engine cooling. The engine temperature is regulated by coolant pumped through it. The radiator is a heat exchanger. It uses engine coolant pumped through the metal fin assembly to exchange heat with the air passing though the radiator. The cooled fluid then is pumped through the engine removing and regulating more heat. Its a cyclical system.

An intercooler operates on a similar principle, but it is used to cool the intake air temperatures. As the turbo compresses air, it heats up. The IC passes hot compressed air from the turbo through a fin matrix to exchange heat with the air passing through it. Its used to cool the intake charge before combustion. Cooler air intake temperatures, denser charge, equals more power. (There are coolant based intercooler systems, but thats not applicable on our cars.)

Theres obviously a lot of other considerations and implications, but thats the simple definition and difference.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

radiator cools the water that cools the engine.
intercooler cools the air that passed through the turbo ( and got heated up) and then goes into the engine to be combined with gas and burned.
If this air is not cooled, it is not as dense and less of it can be forced into the engine ( reducing power).
Old 07-19-2018, 08:45 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
You would think they would a variant of the radiator assembly that would work with ACC.

A radiator is for engine cooling. The engine temperature is regulated by coolant pumped through it. The radiator is a heat exchanger. It uses engine coolant pumped through the metal fin assembly to exchange heat with the air passing though the radiator.

An intercooler operates on a similar principle, but it is used to cool the intake air temperatures. As the turbo compresses air, it heats it. The IC passes hot compressed air from the turbo through a fin matrix to exchange heat with the air passing through it.

Liquid to air vs. air to air
doesn’t 911 already have some form of IC already?

i have a new 911 coming Nov 2. I’m trying to decide what is most important to add.

its a 4S with the powerkit. Tune, exhaust system and inter cool seems like the big gains.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

doesn’t 911 already have some form of IC already?
Yes It does but when you tune the engine, and increase boost, more heat is generated (more compression equals more heat- laws of thermodynamics) than the stock intercoolers were designed to cope with. Sometimes the stock intercoolers would be OK over short spurts (or in colder climates) but perhaps not long-term in a track environment (or hotter climates). Aftermarket intercoolers which are usually larger are often used on tuned cars.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:03 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well my Cobb box got to dealer fast and shipped out to back them with DME already . Hope to get my base model back early next week with Cobbed DME. Really excited after reading some of the posts here! Glad I put lots of miles on quickly so will know and hopefully appreciate the difference.
Will the power and torque be more comparable to a stock 991.2 GTS level ?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:05 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Hey guys....

I'm really considering a manual, base 991.2. Ideally/eventually I'd like to upgrade it to the X51 (GTS) turbos and a cobb tune, but wondering how it might do short term with the base turbos, sport exhaust, and Cobb tune.

I currently have a 996 Turbo, stock but for a stage 1 Cobb tune, and just don't want a replacement to feel painfully slow.

Cobb says the 991.2 stage 1 tune on a non-S base (49mm turbos) is about 435 HP to the wheels and 460 TQ... Never had my 996 on a dyno, but that seems like it is probably not too far off my to-the-wheels horsepower.

I know i'd be thrilled once fully upgraded, but does anyone have some seat time on a lowly base with the Cobb stage 1 tune?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:12 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Originally Posted by blurum
Well my Cobb box got to dealer fast and shipped out to back them with DME already . Hope to get my base model back early next week with Cobbed DME. Really excited after reading some of the posts here! Glad I put lots of miles on quickly so will know and hopefully appreciate the difference.
Will the power and torque be more comparable to a stock 991.2 GTS level ?

Your COBB tuned base is likely faster than a stock GTS.

Originally Posted by pfbz
Hey guys....

I'm really considering a manual, base 991.2. Ideally/eventually I'd like to upgrade it to the X51 (GTS) turbos and a cobb tune, but wondering how it might do short term with the base turbos, sport exhaust, and Cobb tune.

I currently have a 996 Turbo, stock but for a stage 1 Cobb tune, and just don't want a replacement to feel painfully slow.

Cobb says the 991.2 stage 1 tune on a non-S base (49mm turbos) is about 435 HP to the wheels and 460 TQ... Never had my 996 on a dyno, but that seems like it is probably not too far off my to-the-wheels horsepower.

I know i'd be thrilled once fully upgraded, but does anyone have some seat time on a lowly base with the Cobb stage 1 tune?
You cannot use the X51 power kit on the base and keep the factory warranty . You can use aftermarket options which are currently being released. They will bolt right on and then you can tune for them with the Accessport.

Your tuned COBB Base 991.2 is at least as fast as your 996 turbo. Don't forget you can add cat bypass pipes or sport cats, upgraded IC's, turbo's etc.

Honestly, IMO, the base C4 is the way to go if your planning on doing bolt ons and tuning. You get the wide body, awd, and then you drop turbos, IC's, all additional bolt ons and your at 600awhp for around 10-12k.

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 07-19-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Corrected
Old 07-19-2018, 09:21 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

You cannot use the X51 power kit on the base. You can use aftermarket options which are currently being released. They will bolt right on and then you can tune for them with the Accessport.
Not sure this is accurate. The GTS turbos bolt right up to the base car. Only the inside turbine wheel diameter changes between the base,S,and GTS models. Now, the dealer may not sell us the GTS turbos, but they do fit. I presume then a Cobb tune would be needed to make them work to capacity.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:23 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Originally Posted by tango131

Not sure this is accurate. The GTS turbos bolt right up to the base car. Only the inside turbine wheel diameter changes between the base,S,and GTS models. Now, the dealer may not sell us the GTS turbos, but they do fit. I presume then a Cobb tune would be needed to make them work to capacity.
You're correct. I should clarify, what I meant is your cannot have Porsche refresh the ECU based on your VIN and retain the factory warranty. Porsche will not allow base model carreras to use the x51 power kit. You're essentially paying the extra money for the warranty that you cannot use.

You could bolt them onto the Base car, but at that point your just buying a turbo upgrade. Why not buy an aftermarket option like the TiAL turbo system thats just coming to market. Far more potential for a lower price.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:31 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tango131

The GTS turbos may bolt up to the base car, but they also have larger diameter impellors and turbines than the base and the S models. Here's how the impellor (intake)/turbine (exhaust) dimensions stack up:

Base 49/45mm
S 51/45 mm
GTS 55/48mm
Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

You're correct. I should clarify, what I meant is your cannot have Porsche refresh the ECU based on your VIN and retain the factory warranty. Porsche will not allow base model carreras to use the x51 power kit. .
yup, aware of this limitation. I'm paying for a "software license" that I will not be able to use, and would be 100% dependent on Cobb (or other) tunes to make it run right.

You're essentially paying the extra money for the warranty that you cannot use You could bolt them onto the Base car, but at that point your just buying a turbo upgrade.

With Suncoast pricing of only $5,800 for the X51 kit, seems like throwing away the license (and any associated warranty retention) is kind of non issues. For me, the big advantage is that all the development work and maps for other GTS/X51 cars would be plug-and-play for my car without having to spend lots of dyno time dialing it in... This thread being a *perfect* example!

Why not buy an aftermarket option like the TiAL turbo system thats just coming to market. Far more potential for a lower price.
I like that idea as well and should look into it further, but I'm guessing there is no way I'm getting a pair of bolt-on TiAL's for less than $5,800, even without the additional tuning expenses?
Old 07-24-2018, 04:00 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I thought so too but i don't have one!
991.1 GTS comes with the third radiator. 991.2 GTS doesn’t. Enjoying this thread
Old 07-24-2018, 04:37 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
yup, aware of this limitation. I'm paying for a "software license" that I will not be able to use, and would be 100% dependent on Cobb (or other) tunes to make it run right.

With Suncoast pricing of only $5,800 for the X51 kit, seems like throwing away the license (and any associated warranty retention) is kind of non issues. For me, the big advantage is that all the development work and maps for other GTS/X51 cars would be plug-and-play for my car without having to spend lots of dyno time dialing it in... This thread being a *perfect* example!

I like that idea as well and should look into it further, but I'm guessing there is no way I'm getting a pair of bolt-on TiAL's for less than $5,800, even without the additional tuning expenses?
Not sure what TiAL's will cost, but there's also mcchip-DKR and TPC Racing with turbocharger upgrades available. I'm sure there will be even more options as the aftermarket ramps up. The X51 kit with bolt-ons and a Cobb tune on a base would probably be the best bang for your buck. Although with larger aftermarket turbos, I'd go with a C4 instead of a C2 to put the power down.

Also, Cobb tuned one of the TiAL turbo 991.2's so maybe there will be a canned tune available for those turbos at some point?
Old 08-03-2018, 11:09 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Booost
There's two tunes for the Tial turbos.

Cobb's is pretty mild (as their canned tunes usually are) and BoostAddict currently holds the US1/4 mile trap record.

I hear Cobb doesn't want to run the other tune.
Oh Hey Sticky. What's up? What is the current US1/4 mile trap record, and for what? 991.2?

Quick Reply: 991.2 COBB tune - Impressions and Dyno