Sponsored by:

991.2 COBB tune - Impressions and Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 01:55 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
Yeah, they are. I'm just fooling around as I'm a COBB loyalist (have had their products on 4 other platforms).

I'm really digging the sound of the Kline headers which to me sounds higher pitched and more "exotic" if you will. As for DSC, do you have front axle lift with a sunroof? I have these options which is a problem because the DSC module glitches with these options.

Have you gotten info/pricing on the Vektor headers?
I have sunroof, but not Front axel lift. I never open the sunroof ever. LOL If I did it would come up with an error. But when you close it and turn key off and back on it is gone. So No big deal to me.

Vektor is $3,250 USD plus around $300 if you wanted the additional White lightening ceramic coating. As my car is white, I want that lol. They released independent testing today. Nice gains up top. No down low loss.

19 HP at the wheels gain from in dependant source on just an S. That's not tuned. And ours our GTS so expect more.

VEKTOR Independent Test
Old 07-17-2018, 02:00 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Vektor vs Stock log type

Vektor Headers
Old 07-17-2018, 02:01 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Excuse the thread JACK, but I know ///M3THOD wil forgive me, because he wants them too, and COBB need to account for these with stage 2.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:34 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Here are some nice pics of stock and Kline...
Cheers ///M3THOD

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 07-17-2018, 02:47 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Here are some nice pics of stock and Kline...
Cheers ///M3THOD

Hi Sambo, I already have the IPD Plenum, but I see you changed the Y pipe? I didn't know the Y pipe was available for 991.2 Carrera's yet? I know you can get for THE TURBO, but not Carrera? Is that a pre release one or a different brand?

The Klein sounds good. What is the Headers worth and then the system?
Old 07-17-2018, 02:48 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I have sunroof, but not Front axel lift. I never open the sunroof ever. LOL If I did it would come up with an error. But when you close it and turn key off and back on it is gone. So No big deal to me.

Vektor is $3,250 USD plus around $300 if you wanted the additional White lightening ceramic coating. As my car is white, I want that lol. They released independent testing today. Nice gains up top. No down low loss.

19 HP at the wheels gain from in dependant source on just an S. That's not tuned. And ours our GTS so expect more.

VEKTOR Independent Test
I think the even more noticeable improvement in driveability is the 30% reduction in time-to-torque. OEMs spend a lot of money on things like ball bearing turbos and TiAl turbine wheels to get improvements like this in time-to-torque.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:17 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Good eye 4 point 0. That pic is a TTS but I like the cut-away to show the difference on the manifolds. The Carrera are almost identical just slightly different and smaller diameter. Feel free to reach out on the pricing. There are many options from cats, to materials

///M3 has sports cats with factory PSE and he likes it. Equal length manifolds help all around (2 stage Zichromium coating available as well) especially with teat smoooooth sound. I would be into a group buy I k ow ///M3 was considering it as well. So in his honor!
Old 07-17-2018, 05:31 AM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
What dealer is this?
Porsche of Huntington is an authorized dealer. Long Island. Cobb site lists out the various types including pro tuners , e-tuners etc,
Old 07-18-2018, 03:10 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

My experience this morning was rather similar to that of the OP. It's a super hot day in Florida and I didn't get on the dyno until 11:15am. The ambient was about 95F and the drive from our shop was about :40 min so the car was already heat soaked by the time I showed up. Similar to the experience of the OP, I did two dyno pulls with my Cobb tune on the car and then I removed it and did 2 more. Prior to this, I drove the car for about a week when it was stock and then I flashed it yesterday and the first time I hit the gas I giggled liked a school girl! I've known the Cobb guys quite well for a few years now. They've been telling me to get onboard with the 991.2 tuning so I took the plunge and found a used car that was a demo that's a 991.2 GTS and when I did the first dyno pull and saw the numbers I was blown away.

Cobb Dyno Comparison

All I've heard over the last 2 years is "just wait til the tune comes out for the 991.2 and you will see" and boy was everyone right! The results below are 2 pulls with the Cobb and then another 2 pulls with the stock mapping. As you can see, the car starts to heat soak quickly but I would love to see what this car would make on a cool fall day somewhere that it could breath 60F air before it started to heat soak. I've been lucky enough to drive some pretty awesome 4.0L X51 Caymans and 911s on the track and the street, I got to spend some time with the 991.1 GT3RS manual conversion we did and the only thing I've ever driven with this sort of acceleration would be the 991.2 Turbo we did a Stage 1 upgrade to last summer.

My plan is to dyno all of my upgrades individually. The catless bypass pipes from Cargraphic will arrive in about 2 weeks, the IPD plenum should be here next week as well as the filters and Cargraphic is going to send another set of cats for me to do a comparison of cats vs. no cats. Since the car will potentially see the race track i think that intercoolers for the hot Florida sun are necessary. Enjoy!
Old 07-18-2018, 03:18 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BGB, thanks for sharing that dyno. Are those pulls on a bones stock .2 GTS and then a bone stock GTS with COBB?

I must say, those baseline numbers appear to be very low... Regardless, the gain the accessport offers are tremendous!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:51 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
BGB, thanks for sharing that dyno. Are those pulls on a bones stock .2 GTS and then a bone stock GTS with COBB?

I must say, those baseline numbers appear to be very low... Regardless, the gain the accessport offers are tremendous!
Yes, the car is 100% stock for the 2nd two runs with nothing but 93 octane in the tank. The first two runs were done with the Cobb. Remember that I drove the car :40 miles in the Florida heat, dyno'd it with the Cobb and then removed the Cobb and dyno'd again so each time the heat soak is going to contribute to further loss of power. I don't do it for trickery or slight of hand. If I wanted to make this tune upgrade look better artificially I could but ask those that know me, I don't play that game. For 15 years I have used a 12.5% drivetrain loss number so while I think that the rwhp number is low, I think that the torque number is spot on. By my math, the car should make about 393 rwhp and 354 lb/ft at the wheels. I think that the torque number is spot on but I bet the power number is off because the car is hot. Had I done this analysis in a dyno room with cool temps on a car that had sat overnite, god only knows how high the numbers would have been.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:54 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:53 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts

Numbers look great!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 07-18-2018, 07:08 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Yes, the car is 100% stock for the 2nd two runs with nothing but 93 octane in the tank. The first two runs were done with the Cobb. Remember that I drove the car :40 miles in the Florida heat, dyno'd it with the Cobb and then removed the Cobb and dyno'd again so each time the heat soak is going to contribute to further loss of power. I don't do it for trickery or slight of hand. If I wanted to make this tune upgrade look better artificially I could but ask those that know me, I don't play that game. For 15 years I have used a 12.5% drivetrain loss number so while I think that the rwhp number is low, I think that the torque number is spot on. By my math, the car should make about 393 rwhp and 354 lb/ft at the wheels. I think that the torque number is spot on but I bet the power number is off because the car is hot. Had I done this analysis in a dyno room with cool temps on a car that had sat overnite, god only knows how high the numbers would have been.
Exactly. If you monitor your IAT's on the dyno vs. in real life, the dyno's IAT's climb dramatically where on the hwy, they only go up a few degrees.

Did you log your pulls btw?

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Numbers look great!

-Mitch
Any update on the Stage 2 maps?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:33 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

For all those interested in the tune, I went through BGB Motorsports and John is about as honest and knowledgable a guy you will find.
He actually told me not to buy ANY parts until he personally dyno tested each one to see what the real HP benefits are as we bolt on this and that.
He didnt try to up sell me or blow smoke up my **** to make some $$$. I was referred to him by the Isringhausen Porsche Race Team owner, so thats a good sign.

I am looking forward to see how much of a gain (if any) the IPD plenum and Headers actually produce. If John shows they do I will be in line to buy em'..

Keep it comin' John, I know I'm not the only one waiting to see real unbiased numbers..

Quick Reply: 991.2 COBB tune - Impressions and Dyno