Sponsored by:

Girodisc Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 02:59 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by First991
Thanks guys for chiming in, and after seeing the above, in terms of clearance, it's apparent that the extra 5mm is not a problem. So basically I can get either hat and be fine with the 85mm studs. It's more of a question on what kind of pads I want to run... GT3 vs CS stock... i take it?
Yes that's correct.

I wanted to correct my previous comment. Yes the extra 5mm is not a problem but if you run the stock hat you may need longer calipers studs. Double check before ordering.

My rotors and brake fluid are inbound. It will be a few weeks before I get a change to install them though.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Did a trackday at Sonoma yesterday and I'm giving a two to the Girodisc / DS2500 I just got from Clark at Apex.
Ditto! Finally got to drive track the car with my new setup (Girodisc + DS2500) this past weekend, 2 days at Calabogie. Setup is awesome, significantly improved stopping power with no fade and very little noticeable wear on the pads. I did find the initial pedal feel (top of the pedal) to feel a bit soft but once it bites watch out... that could however go down to brake fluid, I'm running stock Porsche fluid last changed in Sept. 2017 so there are 6-8 track days on the fluid as is. That said I was braking later and later as I got comfortable with the setup, to the point where I was coming up on traffic way faster than is normally comfortable.

Extremely happy with the setup and wouldn't hesitate to go with the DS2500 pads again after this small sample size... and another shoutout to Clark at Apex, great guy/great pricing and he knows his stuff!
Old 08-17-2018, 11:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Vise...yikes 8 Track Days On Stock fluid? I can’t even use stock fluid...I’ll boil it in a session.

I tried out ds2500 on my GiroDisc and they worked great on the street and great the 1st 2 sessions but I noticed pad fade and by the end of the day the pad was 1/2 used up and leaving some uneven pad transfer on the rotors. By the end of the 2nd day the pads were done and only about 3mm of pad left.

Im not sure what your track is like but I was driving Sebring...instructing and driving in advanced solo. I was trying to back my braking zones up a little to go easier on the brakes....nothing helped if I wanted to maintain my track times.

Glad you liked these pads and they worked for you. I was hoping they’d work for me so I could have a quiet pad on the street and also do some track days through out the year. I was hoping I could get at least 5-6 track days and some street miles out of them. Did not work for me.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:01 PM
vako
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone tried to use GT3 pad up Rear A2-032 ? Is it possible to use rear GT3 pad ?
The brake calipers are the same GT3 -> 991.2 Carrera S

The front GT3 pads with A1-032 work perfectly
Old 09-06-2018, 12:27 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

All parts are in and I hope to be installing the rotors within the next week. I’ll get a chance to use my new Safe Jacks as well.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:21 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

All set. Other than the brake sensors everything else was typical brake install. I’ll get a chance to check out the new setup @Thunderhill on October 1st.

Comparing the OEM S and GT3 front brake pads I guesstimate the GT3’s have at least 20% more surface area.

The new Safe Jacks worked well but I needed to put a 4x4 under the rear wheel in order to get the car high enough to get the cross piece under the car.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:21 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

I forgot to mention installing the Girodisc rotors wasn't as much of a diet as I had hoped. The GT3 brake pads weigh more so let's call the fronts even. I wasn't expecting a lot but here's the weights:

Carrera S 340mm Front: 23.4 lbs
Girodisc 997.2 Turbo S 350mm Front: 22.7 lbs

Carrera S 340mm Rear: 19.0 lbs
Girodisc Carrera S 350mm Rear: 19.2 lbs

Last edited by CarreraFahrer; 09-10-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:03 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
I forgot to mention installing the Girodisc rotors wasn't as much of a diet as I had hoped. The GT3 brake pads weigh more so let's call it even. I wasn't expecting a lot but here's the weights:

Carrera S 340mm Front: 23.4 lbs
Girodisc 997.2 Turbo S 350mm Front: 22.7 lbs

Carrera S 340mm Rear: 19.0 lbs
Girodisc Carrera S 350mm Rear: 19.2 lbs
Given the same overall diameter it seems strange the rears would weigh 2.5 lbs less then the fronts. The rear hats must be quite a bit bigger. (too lazy to go measure them). Laguna tuesday, looking forward to having brakes I feel confident of for the first time there in this car!
Old 09-10-2018, 01:13 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Originally Posted by RDCR
Given the same overall diameter it seems strange the rears would weigh 2.5 lbs less then the fronts. The rear hats must be quite a bit bigger. (too lazy to go measure them). Laguna tuesday, looking forward to having brakes I feel confident of for the first time there in this car!
The front rotors are thicker, I believe 34mm vs 29mm, and the Turbo S fronts have a much larger annulus. The point of using the Turbo S rotors is to use the larger GT3 front pads.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:49 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Track update: I was at Thunderhill on Monday and had a chance to get my car on track and give the brakes a good test. They worked great and I was impressed with how well the GT3 front brake pads worked and their ability to handle heat. I would say this is a nice upgrade over stock and gave me the additional braking capacity I was looking for. Of note my brakes still feel very smooth with no pad deposits. I bed in the brakes properly and there should be no worries with pad deposits. In fact I spoke with Mike and another guy from Girodisc at Rennsport last weekend and they both like the stock GT3 brake pad and thought the setup I'm running is an excellent choice for occasional track days. Now if we could find the GT3 rear brake pad compound for the rear.

I also did some instructing that day and drove a students GT350. I had forgotten how good those brakes are and the C2S brakes feel like mush in the first part of the travel. Anyone have any suggestions on how to firm up the brake pedal? I'm sure SS brake lines will help but I think they need more than brake lines. I'm using Endless brake fluid and the brakes are properly bled.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:10 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Track update: I was at Thunderhill on Monday and had a chance to get my car on track and give the brakes a good test. They worked great and I was impressed with how well the GT3 front brake pads worked and their ability to handle heat. I would say this is a nice upgrade over stock and gave me the additional braking capacity I was looking for. Of note my brakes still feel very smooth with no pad deposits. I bed in the brakes properly and there should be no worries with pad deposits. In fact I spoke with Mike and another guy from Girodisc at Rennsport last weekend and they both like the stock GT3 brake pad and thought the setup I'm running is an excellent choice for occasional track days. Now if we could find the GT3 rear brake pad compound for the rear.

I also did some instructing that day and drove a students GT350. I had forgotten how good those brakes are and the C2S brakes feel like mush in the first part of the travel. Anyone have any suggestions on how to firm up the brake pedal? I'm sure SS brake lines will help but I think they need more than brake lines. I'm using Endless brake fluid and the brakes are properly bled.
thanks for the update. Mine make a bit of a noise or so as if there are deposits on them occasionally. May try bedding them in again but braking is fantastic. Glad you like.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:55 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

the C2S brakes feel like mush in the first part of the travel. Anyone have any suggestions on how to firm up the brake pedal? I'm sure SS brake lines will help but I think they need more than brake lines. I'm using Endless brake fluid and the brakes are properly bled.
That's the $64M question. I think everyone is on the same page: Car stops fine but the initial pedal is soft and braking is over assisted once you get past the softness. When I had the GT4 I always wondered what people were talking about when "good pad modulation" was discussed, now I know what they were talking about!

It's getting a bit better for me with each track day but it's still more temperamental then it should be IMHO.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

CarreraFaher...the mushy feeling is the pad...since you’re using Endless brake fluid...highly highly doubt you’re boiling fluid. The gt3 pad is still a street pad and the gt3 has way better brake cooling than a Carrera...so you rotor and pad is getting hotter and the pad gets mushy feeling. Boiling the fluid pedal will go to the floor.
I suggest Pagid RS29 Yellow for Track use pads.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:56 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

The brake pad certainly is part of this but I think the issue lies elsewhere. It's like that on the street and on the first lap out on track. I owned a GT350 that I tracked a lot and had the chance to drive a GT350R on track Monday. The GT350 has a much firmer pedal. The car I drove had the stock brake pads which I think are similar to the GT3 pad compound. I tend to think RDCR is onto something about the assistant and booster used on the car. Anyway the brakes work well I just prefer a firmer brake pedal earlier in the pedal travel.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:25 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The spongy brake pedal in the first inch or so on a 991.1 isn't the brake lines, brake fluid, brake pad, or rotor. I've looked into this characteristic and the Porsche mechanics claim this "over boosting" of the braking, that gives this initial spongy feel, does this to prevent locking up the ABS on aggressive braking. (of course ABS won't lock up but it'll chirp) Those are some massive 6 piston front brakes. My 991.1 has this spongy feel when the brakes are cold and driven on the street. It isn't brake fade. On the track, with the Giro disc rotors and Pagid Yellows it does the exact same thing. No brake fade whatsoever. I've switched out brake fluids and there is no effect. My StopTech's on my old track car were dead solid after 1/8 inch of brake pedal travel. I loved that feel on the track. The 991.1 is a ton different and takes some getting used to on the track. I've used left foot braking on the track and that that helps minimize how annoying this characteristic is. Now, if you are overheating your pads on the track...then yes, it will only get worse. I'm still searching for a solution since I would really like to get back to effectively a dead solid brake pedal on the initial travel. Until that time, left foot braking.

Quick Reply: Girodisc Rotors