991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K

Old 07-07-2018, 10:05 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Call PCNA. Yesterday. Porsche of Tysons should be helping but they're not that kind of dealership. Porsche of Bethesda seems to have really turned things around. If you want try there. Forget Intersport.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by _BK
Thanks, all. A great community here and excellent advice. I will let you all know how it goes.
You might try giving Cobb Tunung a call sense they are doing PDK tuning and ask them if they see anything in the tcu unit that might cause this issue.

Cman21
Old 07-07-2018, 01:23 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I’m all about rage posting, but think first before reacting. Will definitely help save face
Old 07-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Transmission replacement for back up lights that don't go on -- definition of Insanity. German engineering at its best??
Originally Posted by Gh0st0
I’m all about rage posting, but think first before reacting. Will definitely help save face
Save face? They want $15k to fix a back up lights that don't come on (for a car that isn't that old - have you ever heard of this happening on another model?), and he came here asking for advice. I feel for the OP.

This isn't the first issue with this dealer that people have had. They have a new service manager. I will be very curious as to how it works out in the end.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:57 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Save face? They want $15k to fix a back up lights that don't come on (for a car that isn't that old - have you ever heard of this happening on another model?), and he came here asking for advice. I feel for the OP.

This isn't the first issue with this dealer that people have had. They have a new service manager. I will be very curious as to how it works out in the end.
Not saying I don’t feel for OP, but I dont remember a time when keeping your composure hurt, that’s all. Dealers that don’t take the time to properly diagnose issues and are quick to jump the gun quickly lose people’s respect and their money.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Not saying I don’t feel for OP, but I dont remember a time when keeping your composure hurt, that’s all. Dealers that don’t take the time to properly diagnose issues and are quick to jump the gun quickly lose people’s respect and their money.
Oh, I think I misunderstood your post. I think we all agree that he should keep his composure.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Try another dealer. That’s insane.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

I have to say that PCNA has been great to me on several occasions. I would call directly and open a case. They will get the regional rep involved to track this down. Stress the safety angle and the fact that the car is just out of warranty.

And I may have missed it but check for sure you have the mirror switch activated to allow the rear mirror to dip

With a 7MT and the 14-way memory seats package, I am watching this with great interest!

Good luck OP!
Old 07-07-2018, 10:30 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

You haven't seen a rage post, apparently.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:51 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 912 Likes on 545 Posts

My car is going in for service on Monday and will update as soon as my dealer gets back to me. Luckily I still have one year of CPO, so if I get a new transmission it should be covered by PCNA.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:25 PM
_BK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks again. I will keep you posted how it goes. Service Manager was on vacation this week and returns to the office on Monday. I hope to speak with him this coming week.

I know this is a long thread and people may have missed some things, but to clarify - yes, I’m sure I didn’t miss the mirror tilt setting in the MFD; yes, I’ve gotten a second (confirming) opinion already; no, I’ve never had any clutch work, you may be confusing me with someone else; and no, I’m not raging or enraged. Exasperated maybe. The long and short of it is there is something in the gearbox itself that should be activating the reverse position switch and, out of nowhere, it isn’t doing it in my car.

If the dealer doesn’t help with a Porsche case, I have no qualms going to Porsche myself. It would be nice to have the dealer’s support, though, and I don’t think it’s an unreasonable ask. In any case, I am genuinely curious whether this issue is unique to me or if there are others in the same position. According to the independent tech who looked at my car, the reverse switch operation for the MT on older 911s is straightforward, pressed by the gear lever itself. The mechanism looks to be more complicated on the 7MT, a lever that twists and articulates, though it was difficult for him to really see how it works, and Porsche doesn’t provide breakdown schematics or offer internal replacement parts. Hence the dealer’s solution of replacing the whole thing.

This is crazy but I’ll get it fixed and be back on my way before long, and you’re all along for the ride now.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:37 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Another thought if you are a PCA member, reaching out to them might help to get you to the right people. They are extremely well connected to PCNA and from my interactions at events like tech tactics, genuine Porsche enthusiasts. Call Vu.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:28 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
Call PCNA. Yesterday. Porsche of Tysons should be helping but they're not that kind of dealership. Porsche of Bethesda seems to have really turned things around. If you want try there. Forget Intersport.
Figured it was Tysons...they've been know to bleed owners for sales and service for years when I lived there. I never went anywhere near them. Used Porsche of Arlington and have heard some good things about Porsche Bethesda as well as Porsche of Annapolis. I also used to use an Indy shop out near Balston-Falls Church but forget the name.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:00 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

For the op - I know the mirror not turning is not a big deal. I know the back reverse lights need to be there as lame VA yearly safety inspection would not pass. One question is (and I apologize if I missed reading it above). What if the lights just need replacing? sometimes those led bulbs go out?.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:09 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Yup I have a manual 7MT
quick question please.
When you put the car in reverse does the indicator light on the tach show an R or is it blank?
Mine is blank but it shows all the numbers for the other gears.

Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K