Sponsored by:

Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:40 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
UPDATE: just got a call from my Dealer, who have been amazing (Rector in Burlingame, just south of San Francisco).

Porsche authorized a complete replacement of my transmission, they said there is a physical switch internally that fails, and since the unit is not serviceable they have to replace the entire transmission.

I think it's ridiculous that this is the ONLY solution. So for everyone who is shopping for used Manuals, always make sure to see if your reverse lights work.

The part is $8,000 + labor.
Still not an acceptable solution once these cars come off warranty / goodwill repair.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Safety Issue - NHTSA

Hey can you guys who had this happen fill this out so the manufacturer does the right thing ?

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Originally Posted by jury_ca
Still not an acceptable solution once these cars come off warranty / goodwill repair.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:06 PM
_BK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

UPDATE - currently on vacation so just a quick update. Just got a call from the dealer, and Porsche is covering parts and labor for a new transmission for my car. I’ll bring it in when I get back. I am psyched not to have to pay $15K and I may get the clutch replaced while I’m at it.

Crazy, though, isn’t it?

Edit - read the other updates. Joec500, crazy that we both have this. I’m glad maybe my thread encouraged you to bring your car in. My car has 41k miles, so also a relatively high mileage 991.

Also, I still can’t say anything bad about Tysons Porsche. They’ve been good to me and helped make the appeal to PCNA here. I’ll continue to use them. Based on Joec500’s note, maybe PCNA has seen this issue before, though.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:16 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by _BK
UPDATE - currently on vacation so just a quick update. Just got a call from the dealer, and Porsche is covering parts and labor for a new transmission for my car. I’ll bring it in when I get back. I am psyched not to have to pay $15K and I may get the clutch replaced while I’m at it.

Crazy, though, isn’t it?

Edit - read the other updates. Joec500, crazy that we both have this. I’m glad maybe my thread encouraged you to bring your car in. My car has 41k miles, so also a relatively high mileage 991.

Also, I still can’t say anything bad about Tysons Porsche. They’ve been good to me and helped make the appeal to PCNA here. I’ll continue to use them. Based on Joec500’s note, maybe PCNA has seen this issue before, though.

Great news! That is awesome.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by _BK

Crazy, though, isn’t it?

I am so happy to hear this!!!! I was hoping that it would work out.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:34 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by _BK

Crazy, though, isn’t it?

One reason why I love this community. AWESOME to hear, you should definitely have them swap your clutch and throwout bearing. Also have them inspect your flywheel to see if it needs some machining. Since the car is totally apart it shouldn't be more than 1-2 hours of labor to install and adjust the clutch. You will most likely have about half of your friction material, but might as well get all fresh stuff while it's in pieces.

I think the clutch and throwout bearing is around $700, it should save you thousands in labor to do this earlier. My car is at 55,000 Miles and about 7 Track days.

So I mentioned to my SA that we have this thread on Rennlist and that someone on the East Coast had the same diagnosis., I am curious if Porsche NA comes here to see what people are saying and if these threads influence warranty coverage.

Also from what I understand is that Transmissions warranties are passed down to the manufactures of the transmissions from Porsche (either ZF or Getrag). So in our case it's a ZF unit. And I assume Porsche has quite a bit of leverage on the transmission suppliers. I think that's why Porsche is more open to warranty transmissions over anything in the motor. I had 4 people in my local car group who had all their transmissions replaced under warranty in the last 1-2 years on 911's and GT4's.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:25 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

I am going to make a sacrifice to the CPO gods later tonight.
And also buy your service mgr and adviser a case of their favorite I would also recommend! WOW!

PS...am quite sure that they [Porsche] see the posts on RL...in this modern age it would be suicide not to see what the "masses" are saying about one's products especially one as global as Porsche. I know BMW does...I remember remarking once when I got my e92 M3 coupe in 2008 how I had just missed BMW's offer of a free day at the M-school for those who purchased their cars before end of July/Aug in 2008 [I had missed it and taken delivery by like 45 days] and I got an email directly from BMW-NA from one of their communications directors offering me an M school day! So yes they do look at these forums I believe is some form/fashion.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:09 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

UPDATE

transmission replaced under CPO, restored my Hill Hold Function, Reverse Lights and Passenger Side Mirror tilt. My service advisor said that is something inside the transmission that activate the reverse switch that failed. And since the transmissions are not serviceable, they are instructed to replace the entire transmission.

My new transmission feels awesome, it feels tighter, as my previous transmission had 56,000 miles on it. I am happy to have a new transmission and hoping the reverse actuation switch lasts longer than 56k miles

Or at the very least, someone figures out a relatively inexpensive repair.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:06 AM
_BK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool! Thanks for the update. I plan on getting mine done early August, and will definitely get a new clutch while they are at it—your prior post was very convincing. Might as well have everything brand new.

Still shaking my head at how crazy this is!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:37 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

UPDATE<br /><br />transmission replaced under CPO, restored my Hill Hold Function, Reverse Lights and Passenger Side Mirror tilt. My service advisor said that is something inside the transmission that activate the reverse switch that failed. And since the transmissions are not serviceable, they are instructed to replace the entire transmission. <br /><br />My new transmission feels awesome, it feels tighter, as my previous transmission had 56,000 miles on it. I am happy to have a new transmission and hoping the reverse actuation switch lasts longer than 56k miles <br /><br />Or at the very least, someone figures out a relatively inexpensive repair.
crazy stuff. Glad it worked out.
What would be the cost of the repair if no CPO?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:42 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

Great news!
Old 07-23-2018, 02:52 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cpbmd

crazy stuff. Glad it worked out.
What would be the cost of the repair if no CPO?
The OP was quoted 15k. My service adviser mentioned that the transmission alone is $8,000 + tax. so my guess is anywhere from 10-15k.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:39 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Crap... Good for the OP but somewhat disheartening.... I bought this car specifically in manual, no sunroof, w/ minimal options, in order to be able to keep it for a long time and not suffer too many out of warranty issues... And now it looks like we're still at risk of a failed internal switch that could require a complete tranny replacement ? Seriously, ZF ? (and Porsche)... Great time to put in a 911R 6-speed though ;-)

Starting to think the only keepers are my oldies... New cars just should not be owned a day past the warranty expiration, period. Annoying... I wonder what the bill might be if an independent / wrecking yard tranny was used... In all seriousness that would be the time to put shorter gears in the car or a shorter final ratio, since long gears are the main criticism of that car... Hope I'm never facing that choice though...
Old 07-23-2018, 01:38 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Crap... Good for the OP but somewhat disheartening.... I bought this car specifically in manual, no sunroof, w/ minimal options, in order to be able to keep it for a long time and not suffer too many out of warranty issues... And now it looks like we're still at risk of a failed internal switch that could require a complete tranny replacement ? Seriously, ZF ? (and Porsche)... Great time to put in a 911R 6-speed though ;-)

Starting to think the only keepers are my oldies... New cars just should not be owned a day past the warranty expiration, period. Annoying... I wonder what the bill might be if an independent / wrecking yard tranny was used... In all seriousness that would be the time to put shorter gears in the car or a shorter final ratio, since long gears are the main criticism of that car... Hope I'm never facing that choice though...
I assume if a manual from Porsche is 8k, you could source a junked one at 4-5k. Plus whatever the labor is for a clutch change, since the tranny has to come out when servicing a clutch. 1-2k? OR you just live without reverse lights

-Joe
Old 07-23-2018, 02:15 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.

I'd just drive mine without mirror tilt, hill hold, and reverse lights if my only alternative were to pay for an out of warranty tranny replacement.

Quick Reply: Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K