Another one of these my car is the best vs your car sucks threads

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 09:24 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Another one of these my car is the best vs your car sucks threads

Kidding.

But I did think it would be interesting to ask those of you who dreamt your whole lives of getting a 911 (ANY 911), did it live up to the dream? Like truly?

Reason I ask is because I recently got to thinking that usually when I’ve spent a lot of money in cars, I love them, but inside I battle with the notion that something about just doesn’t “feel” as special as I imagined, perhaps not worth the money. All of my M-B’s just didn’t feel as rich as I thought they would. My F10 535i actually was one of my favorite cars as it felt just right and had a versatile sense of occasion, but it wasn’t sporty enough at all (and became way too commonplace). My Macan, I also loved, but it just felt too utilitarian for what I was looking for, etc. etc.

Back in the day I had a Fox Body 5.0 Mustang. That thing lived up to its own hype. Light crass V8 with a manual was a pure joy.

My 911? Lived up to it and then some. The level of character the car emits, the sounds, the vibe, the LOOK, I’ve never pinched myself and literally outwardly (like a crazy person) repeated “I can’t believe this is MY car, I can’t believe it’s mine!” so many times while looking at and driving something. I make it a point to, even if I have to pull over, simply admire the design whenever I drive it. I told you: crazy person.

And especially after going on 10 months with it. I truly couldn’t fathom selling it as long as nothing unforeseen happens to it. It feels like I got it yesterday. It’s the first car where I truly feel I can keep it for a very long time or never sell it (and I haven’t held a car for more than 2.5 years within the past 10 years. Most have been 1-2 years). Which has always been the goal I’ve chased when it comes to car ownership. And to top all that, I feel it’s something special therefore am confident in the resale value it’ll maintain. Further making it feel worth holding.

You feel the same? Without getting into model breakdowns, has the *911 experience* truly exceeded expectations? Or is it lacking the magic you envisioned it had? To me, it’s one of the very rare products that embodies its own pinnacly-legend, magic status. And that’s just one model and generation.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:06 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

My experience has definitely lived up to my dreams. I first bought a 911 in 2002 and still can't get myself to let it go. After a Boxster and a Cayman S I finally got another 911, this time brand new in 2014, and it's the best car I've owned thus far. The only thing that could replace it would be another 911 further up the high performance ladder. But its unlikely that I will ever be able to afford it. But I'm not suffering as it is.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:44 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
My experience has definitely lived up to my dreams. I first bought a 911 in 2002 and still can't get myself to let it go. After a Boxster and a Cayman S I finally got another 911, this time brand new in 2014, and it's the best car I've owned thus far. The only thing that could replace it would be another 911 further up the high performance ladder. But its unlikely that I will ever be able to afford it. But I'm not suffering as it is.

WOW. Gorgeous. And a 993? Do you need to accomplish any thing more in life anymore? That baby will continue to be worth so much anyway that you can have your pick of the litter going forward.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:49 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 628 Posts

+1 Crazy person here. And P.S. Mine is better than yours Just kidding.

It has absolutely delivered on all promises like no other car before it has. "When you walk away, if you don't look back, you bought the wrong car." I cannot, not look back.

I had just about every ///M car ever made. They were good, some close to great, but there was always that something missing. From the first moment I jumped into a base 991.2 I found what was missing.

I screamed, "I gotta git me one of these!" I almost bought the 911 GTS at the time, (wanted wide body) as the new point 2 GTS wasn't out yet. The wisest words ever spoken to me were from a salesman. He said, Wait for the new turbo one. It will be a weapon. : ) First sensible words ever to come from a salesman lips lol.

I waited and I love it.

White GTS

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 06-24-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: pic
Old 06-24-2018, 11:09 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I hope its as excited as my old car. I just traded my car in on a Porsche. It was super hard to do. I took a huge hit in trade in and wont get my new car until Nov. But I'm getting really excited for the new car to arrive.

C4S with PSE, PowerKit, PCCB, PDK, PDCC w/ standard PASM, Rear wheel steering. Basically a GTS.

Will get winter wheel right away, will wrap 100% in Xpel.

What else should I do to get ready for new C4S.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:33 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Yes.

And IMO that's what makes any 911 special. They have unique chassis dynamics (that in the good old days, could kill you or at least bend some sheet metal). Nothing feels like a 911, even if other cars handle "better".
Old 06-25-2018, 02:05 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Nothing is perfect in this World. As nice as 911s are they are just cars. I am on my 4th 911 (2 C2s, a GTS and a TTS). Did they all meet my expectations? Yes, they did. But this greatly depended on my expectations
Are PCMs best of the breed car electronics? - no
Are MT best of the breed shifters? - no
Are small design flaws laughable at best (like 997 e-static issues after you thoroughly clean your front lights? Or your frunk opens when you wash your car with a hose if your remote is in your pocket (on remote entry and drive optioned cares)) - yes
Are 991 e-brakes pleasing? - no
etc.
But, 911s are sure among the best cars for the money in existence. So keep your expectations right and your car will meet them
Old 06-25-2018, 07:33 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Nothing is perfect in this World. As nice as 911s are they are just cars. I
I'm in this camp and its very dependent on your driving history and car history. For me, my current 991 II GTS is a great super cruiser or genuine GT car, so it meets my expectations as I envisaged. Basically a very nice, high performance daily, that looks good and can fit four in an emergency.

The only Porsche that has really exceeded my expectations is my 981 Cayman GTS - easily the best all round sports car I have ever owned.

Last edited by groundhog; 06-25-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:07 AM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Love mine as well, definitely a huge step up from Bmw M cars which is what I drove and tracked for years before getting this one.

2013 basalt black, 7mt. Spasm, aerokit cup, 4 ways, sport exhaust, pdcc. It’s awesome. The handling and feel is fantastic.

no track time yet but I’ll be out there at msr in houston Friday morning!

love my 991.1, and also intrigued by the 991.2 gts, huge fan of the looks of the aerokit 991.2 cars.

Maybe in a couple years, depending.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:19 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I fell in love with Porsche after learning to drive on Moms 1971 914...I've wanted a Porsche ever since. I finally got my 2017 GR 911 about a year and a half ago and couldnt be happier. I love every single second behind the wheel and cleaning it. It sounds great, handles great and is the perfect size. Thrilled and so fortunate. Its the best.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:46 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

My 991.2 C2s is my 1st and only sports car. Custom ordered with all the handling goodies. Had it two years now. Overall it has exceeded my expectations. My wife's hope was that the car would cure me of my lifelong motorcycle addiction. It almost did for awhile, but then it didn't. As fast and great handling as the car is, it is a little tame compared to a sport bike and after two years I really missed the bikes. The 911 has evolved into a car I just love to drive with my wife, but don't like driving around by myself all that much just for fun. The 911 is "Wow this car is incredible. Can't believe the handling! Power is decent. I can't imagine not having this car to drive around." My recently purchased Ducati Panigale V4s is "Holy crap. 420 lbs. 214 horsepower. Incredible design and electronics. This thing is insane! This makes me think I am riding a street legal MotoGP bike. Can't believe they actually sell this bike to the public! OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!" In terms of cars though, I can't really imagine any sports car that could replace my 911. I have no interest (or funds) to consider more exotic cars. The great thing about the 911 is that you can buy groceries in it or fly through curves. This car does it all. I try to avoid flying through curves after buying groceries though. Not a good combo A huge plus for the 911 is that it is a truly timeless design and no matter the age of the car it will always be beautiful. My current plan is to keep the car for the foreseeable future.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:19 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I love my 911. It is truly the most engaging car I've ever owned, and not a day goes by that I don't feel the urge to take it on the track. For me, driving it at the limit has become an addiction.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:28 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

My 2014 C2S was my first Porsche. At age 69 I was finally able to afford/ splurge on my dream car. After getting my kids thru college, grandkids secure w college assist funds, I treated myself. Some times I open the garage door and admire it and say to myself “ that’s mine”. I don’t think I’ve ever parked it somewhere without at least one look back.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:34 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

My 911 makes my heart go like this:

I spec'ed it exactly as I wanted it and every time I look at it, my heart races. When I drive it, it feels like an extension of my body.

When I daydream, I think of this:

Old 06-25-2018, 02:54 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I still pound myself for not buying my uncle's 993 convertible for like 20k about 10 years ago.....the reason why i didnt buy it because it was a TIP!...stupid me!!!!

Quick Reply: Another one of these my car is the best vs your car sucks threads