Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate confusion in WA

Old 06-22-2018, 12:48 PM
crazybug
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license plate confusion in WA

I was just about to to pick my car then found it is missing the front license plate. I asked the SA, she basically told me it is required by law but most of the 911 owners choose to not install it.
She said even if you got pulled over by the cop, there is still a good chance you can get away with it

I did some research on this, looks like there are different opinions. My situation is the car already got PPF, any damage free solution that can work on top of PPF and without affecting the parking sensor?
Is it worth to apply for the exemption from Washington State Patrol or it is waste of time?

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

You will get a lot of different answers. Virginia is a front plate state and I got tired of getting pulled over or the unwanted attention, so I ride with a front plate. I thought the tow hook mounts or other temporary methods didn’t look as good.

YMMV

Old 06-22-2018, 11:07 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

If I was serious about putting a front plate on my car (it is required in CA but meh), I would go the magnet route:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1021...ate-mount.html
Old 06-22-2018, 11:57 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

I used industrial strength velcro on the plate itself and placed it directly on top of my PPF (no license plate holder). That way you can bend the plate so it looks a little more flush with the bumper surface.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:09 AM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Rho-plate
Old 06-23-2018, 01:47 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am in CA and they started to crackdown a lot in my area due lack of $$$$. I used skenebracket.

Abe
Old 06-23-2018, 04:45 AM
xstnte
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 132 Posts

I've been pulled over/tickets in WA for other reasons by both street and state patrol; never ticketed for lack of a front plate.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I’ve heard of a suction cup solution that is nice for placing on the front bumper when you know you’re parking in a risky area. Remove when you get back. I haven’t been able to find one though - anyone know of one?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:33 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front Plates are not required in Nevada, which is great. But for an unknown reason I got tailgated couple time by cops in small towns till I had to leave and get on the freeway. I thought they might not like people driving other than trucks.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:08 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gotten pulled over by wash state patrol for no front plate. He was walking back to his car and I was going 5 mph on exit road. Just a warning. Can appeal to a Bellevue place. Put a skene plate on my 15 TTS

Now have a platypus plate toe hook off center plate. 2018 GTS. Adjacent sensor blinded by small sticker included.
My friends carry their plate with them with excuse of. "Just detailed my car " at the ready.
Good luck.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:02 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteducktail
If I was serious about putting a front plate on my car (it is required in CA but meh), I would go the magnet route:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1021...ate-mount.html
^^This. I’m a Virginia guy, and Virginia requires a front plate. I live in an area where the only hassle you will get is from the VASP. I have passed plenty of County Policemen with no front plate on my car and they don’t give a damn. Actually, the VASP here really doesn’t give a damn either, except for the occasional Officer here and there, and of course the ‘safety roadblock’ which checks inspection stickers, drivers license, etc. (they are really looking for DUI’s). But lack thereof gives ALL of them a reason to pull you over. My front plate bracket is held on by very strong rare earth magnets. I have the plate on, or off, depending on my assessment of the risk of being pulled over for the drive I am taking. Around town, it’s on. Tooling around on country roads it is likely off. This strategy has worked very well. However I have a Carmine Red GTS with PCCB (yellow calipers) brakes. This vehicle causes most policemen’s heads to swivel in a manner that is reminesent of the movie ‘The Exorcist’. So I wear the front plate more often than not. The car looks SO much better without the front plate, so whenever I think it’s safe, it is off.

Having said all all of that, if you live in Northen Virginia, you better have the front plate on or you WILL get pulled over, just like Hurricane said. But the magnet mount gives you a lot of options and avoids drilling holes in places that I don’t want to. YMMV
Old 06-23-2018, 11:51 PM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I know some states like California have zero tolerance for anything they can make $$$ on. I moved to Arizona 15 years ago when I retired ... this is another no front plate state and that's so nice. Before that I lived in Washington state and at that time they didn't seam to care about my lack of a front plate. Before that I lived in Oregon and was pulled over many times, by mostly state police, and they mostly just wanted to just talk cars and check of my corvette (what I was driving back then) but no tickets ... they may say "you should put that front plate on" as the where leaving ... never did!

Now most of our European buddies really have the license plates from hell ... so big and ugly! They couldn't drive a kilometer with getting pull over also ... so we don't have it so bad!
Old 06-24-2018, 04:17 AM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I do the Rho plate with the extender to lower the plate to not block the sensors. I'm not that narcissistic about the look as I rather deal with it than deal with a cop about missing license plate monthly in BayArea that would potentially hit me for my tint too.

https://www.rho-plate.com/pages/rho-plate-v2
Old 06-24-2018, 12:18 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I ended up mounting the front plate with the stock front plate mount. It is nice and symmetrical and doesn't interfere with anything. Have owned my car for two years. At first I obsessed with mounting the plate but finally just put the plate on and forgot about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front license plate confusion in WA