Rashed rim from tire roll???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 04:34 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tshort
This ^^^^.

Just returned from visiting my local indie Porsche mechanic, the local certified Porsche dealer, and my local wheel refinisher. The dealer said there's no way a Porsche OEM wheel finish would chip like this, regardless of what was done to it. He said it looked to him like someone rashed the rim and did a quick "parking lot" touch up job on them, which subsequently chipped off while I was driving it.

My local indie shop guy noticed that the two rear tires don't match - a detail I missed. Yes, both are P-Zeros, but the left one doesn't have the sidewall lip that the right one has. Also, the right one is has less tread 3/32 on outside sipe, 4/32 on center sipe. Left has 5/32 outside, and 7/32 inside.

And last, the wheel refinisher said if this just happened around so much of the rim there would be at least some minor abrasion or scuffing on tire itself. There is none on this tire.

As for the "grinding" I experienced, as someone mentioned above, that probably was the PSM engaging in a way I'm not familiar with, and may have created the vibrations that caused the cheapo paint fix to flake off, exposing the rashing and areas that were touched up.

Now it all starts to make sense. "So," says Columbo, "just one more question for you. What will the rental car people say when I turn this thing in?"

I'm going to call and get a hold of the pre-drive inspection report, and may even report this now so it's on record as to when it happened. I'm "stuck" with this thing for another 3 1/2 weeks, and want to enjoy it without wondering whether I'm going to get hosed when I turn it in.

Thanks for all the input - very much appreciated.
There you go. That just confirms what we were all thinking. Don't spend any $ fixing that wheel.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:00 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

It may have been a cheap repair by the previous renter or the rental company,...but I don't think the repair would begin to chip just because you hammered a turn or because PSM was engaged. On the top of the wheel, above the large chips, it looks like there is some traditional curb rash. I would have guessed, as others have,..that you might have touched a curb in a minor way and that was enough to break whatever bond holding the deeper chips in place. Have fixed like the previous person did and move on.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:33 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Did you do the pre delivery inspection, and then they washed it in a tunnel wash before you drove off?
Old 06-21-2018, 08:23 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

nah i highly doubt thats new. looks like wheel have been repainted hence the paint is chipping off.

i dont think is possible that you "roll" the rims....on the street
Old 06-21-2018, 08:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Well, the good news is, the crest IS pointing to the valve stem.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:43 PM
tshort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Well, the good news is, the crest IS pointing to the valve stem.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:52 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

As far as the rental agency is concerned, the wheel was pristine when it left their lot. With all that damage, they will probably want to charge you for a new wheel .Your insurance may or may not pick up the cost. So, just before you turn in the car have your wheel guy do a cheapy fix like the last renter did.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:36 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
You hit something. Did you go through a tunnel car wash.

Just sell the 996 and buy a new wheel.
This is what I was about to ask. Thats what it looks like. When your wheel goes into the track and it just pushed through the wash. It would explain the pain chips too.

It looks like at some point it went through one of these washes.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:34 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkag
nah i highly doubt thats new. looks like wheel have been repainted hence the paint is chipping off.

i dont think is possible that you "roll" the rims....on the street
Prior damage, cheesy re-paint, maybe some marks on the new paint when remounting tire, and now flaking off. Can you pick more paint off and find old damage underneath?
Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 AM
tshort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don’t know about car washes, etc. Good news is I called the car rental agency, reported what I found, told them what I learned, and they said not to worry about it - they’d add a notation to my rental record and that would be that.

Case closed (for now).
Old 06-22-2018, 01:10 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Don’t know about car washes, etc. Good news is I called the car rental agency, reported what I found, told them what I learned, and they said not to worry about it - they’d add a notation to my rental record and that would be that.

Case closed (for now).
Wow. Didn't expect that. Good for them. Good for you.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:46 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Case closed (for now).
Win! Great way to end the week.

Quick Reply: Rashed rim from tire roll???