Sponsored by:

Drove a 991.2 - wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 10:49 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
So much hate in this thread, I see another 911 and think nice color, etc, not mine is better, wow, haters gonna hate. In the end does it really matter what anybody else thinks, just drive it and enjoy it.
Exactly how I feel too. Can't believe some of the comments/hate around here. We are all really lucky to be driving these things. I'm going to drive mine up to the lake (2 hrs) this afternoon and I'm going to LOVE every second of it......and I'm not going to follow this thread anymore...........
Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
If I really had my choice though, I’d follow Bemo into that E92 M3.
If you think the F8X is a hammer, the E92 M3 is a.. I don't know.. Brick? It's heavy and underpowered. I had two of them. They need more torque and significantly less weight. They are so heavy I had zero confidence when I started pushing them. The only reason I kept them was because they look so good.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:58 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
If you think the F8X is a hammer, the E92 M3 is a.. I don't know.. Brick? It's heavy and underpowered. I had two of them. They need more torque and significantly less weight. They are so heavy I had zero confidence when I started pushing them. The only reason I kept them was because they look so good.
The last reason I’d want an E92 is due to all out performance. All to due with that spine tingling N/A V8. The F82 can blow it out of the water, while feeling like a toaster (and sounding like a broken one) in comparison. Performance wise, of course the M4 is faster (it has to be, as it doesn’t really move you in any other way). I also prefer the M4’s design. The E92 M3 is all about that masterpiece engine. Otherwise I can imagine that chassis being a clunky brick. Especially compared to a 911.

Though my ultimate is the E46 M3. N/A I6, not the best sounding N/A I6, but to this day the most perfect sedan-based coupe of all time, imo.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:08 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K-A
The last reason I’d want an E92 is due to all out performance. All to due with that spine tingling N/A V8. The F82 can blow it out of the water, while feeling (and sounding) like a toaster in comparison. Performance wise, of course the M4 is faster. I also prefer the M4’s design. The E92 M3 is all about that masterpiece engine. Otherwise I can imagine that chassis being a clunky brick. Especially compared to a 911.

Though my ultimate is the E46 M3. N/A I6, not the best sounding N/A I6, but to this day the most perfect sedan-based coupe of all time, imo.
Have you actually driven one? Mine didn't feel spine tingling at all. The engine is wasted in that heavy, cushy, isolated luxury car. I agree that the E46 M3 is perfection, but the E92 just isn't exciting. You can rev out the motor as much as you want and it just doesn't feel that special.

Maybe I'm being unfair because I had a 991.1 GT3 at the same time, and THAT is a spine tingling engine with a chassis to match. There's just absolutely no comparison. The E92 wasn't even one tenth as exciting as that car.

In fact I was originally looking for an E46, I just couldn't find a manual at a decent price in good shape. The sellers wanted an arm an a leg for the good ones, but the E92s were selling dirt cheap, comparatively.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:13 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Have you actually driven one? Mine didn't feel spine tingling at all. The engine is wasted in that heavy, cushy, isolated luxury car. I agree that the E46 M3 is perfection, but the E92 just isn't exciting. You can rev out the motor as much as you want and it just doesn't feel that special.

In fact I was originally looking for an E46, I just couldn't find a manual at a decent price in good shape. The sellers wanted an arm an a leg for the good ones, but the E92s were selling dirt cheap, comparatively.
Interesting. I have. I dug the motor and solely the motor. It just felt and sounded unique to me. The M4? Like a 435 with more boost basically (that one just not special feeling to me). But I wouldn’t get an E92. I just appreciate BMW’s approach to the engine (I still wish it had an I6).

E46 is such a legend though. And that’s the one I’d get. I’m still kicking myself for not jumping on some deals I saw years ago, before their legend status solidified and prices moved up accordingly. Same with the E39 M5. The sedan of which all sedans will be judged against. Used to they were cheap. Now? The last N/A V8 in a sea of new 10 second M5’s with the soul of a coffee machine (I understand the new M5 is more emotive than the F10, but I can’t believe it much until I feel it for myself) has catapulted it’s price.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:23 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K-A
Interesting. I have. I dug the motor and solely the motor. It just felt and sounded unique to me. The M4? Like a 435 with more boost basically (that one just not special feeling to me). But I wouldn’t get an E92. I just appreciate BMW’s approach to the engine.

E46 is such a legend though. And that’s the one I’d get. I’m still kicking myself for not jumping on some deals I saw years ago, before their legend status solidified and prices moved up accordingly. Same with the E39 M5. The sedan of which all sedans will be judged against. Used to they were cheap. Now? The last N/A V8 in a sea of new 10 second M5’s with the soul of a coffee machine (I understand the new M5 is more emotive than the F10, but I can’t believe it much until I feel it for myself) has catapulted it’s price.
Yep, the E46 and the E39 would be the ones I would go for. I looked for an E39 as well, but I was a little scared by maintenance on them. I know the newer M3/M4/M5 are faster, but to me they are less special. The interior quality in the 3/4-series has really gone downhill, it's almost embarrassingly bad. The M5 was always a big luxury sedan, but it just looks bland and bloated these days.

I still really love my X5M. People say it feels more like an M car than the current crop of M cars, and I can believe it. It's actually incredibly fun to drive, and for what it is, it really delivers exactly what it's supposed to. Also, the interior and build quality are superb, they really didn't cut any corners.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:24 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,193 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
The F82 can blow it out of the water, while feeling like a toaster (and sounding like a broken one) in comparison.

I may link this on bimmerfest...
Old 06-22-2018, 11:26 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

^good call.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
The last reason I’d want an E92 is due to all out performance. All to due with that spine tingling N/A V8. The F82 can blow it out of the water, while feeling like a toaster (and sounding like a broken one) in comparison. Performance wise, of course the M4 is faster (it has to be, as it doesn’t really move you in any other way). I also prefer the M4’s design. The E92 M3 is all about that masterpiece engine. Otherwise I can imagine that chassis being a clunky brick. Especially compared to a 911.

Having owned an e92, I'd go for a GT350 if you're looking for a good sounding, high revving v8. The E92 is embarrassingly low on torque - plus the S65 engine seems to be hard on main bearings - lots of info on this on m3post.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:08 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Interesting. I have. I dug the motor and solely the motor. It just felt and sounded unique to me. The M4? Like a 435 with more boost basically (that one just not special feeling to me). But I wouldn’t get an E92. I just appreciate BMW’s approach to the engine (I still wish it had an I6).
I found the E46 engine to be quite a blast too... I had one for a while. The e46 M3 was an amazing performance car for its time. Handling from a sports viewpoint was pretty danged tight. However, while the SMG was entertaining when in performance settings it was rather awkward in its less aggressive settings and made normal driving a bit odd. Similarly, the suspension made for great handling on good roads but it was danged harsh on anything else. Between the tranny and the ride comfort my wife got so she didn't want to ride in it much and that contributed to its short life span in my hands, something that hasn't been a problem in the 911s I've had. Overall it still holds an honored spot in my prior stable list.

Last edited by StormRune; 06-22-2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-22-2018, 01:10 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Been away for a bit. I see things were very different while I was gone…
Old 06-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude174
Having owned an e92, I'd go for a GT350 if you're looking for a good sounding, high revving v8. The E92 is embarrassingly low on torque - plus the S65 engine seems to be hard on main bearings - lots of info on this on m3post.
The engine in my '16 GT350 seized at about 3K miles. I'll never know why but the cast gears in the oil pump is an ongoing problem with the 5.2 FPC engine and 8,200 rpm redline. Took some arm twisting on my (and the dealer's) part to get Ford to replace the car with a '17. I had it for about 4K miles but I got tired of the interior rattles, saggy rear bumper and the thin and splotchy paint. I never could trust the engine after what happened with the first one. Great performer though.

Last edited by Randy M; 06-22-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:59 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Old 06-22-2018, 03:40 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

And you knew none of this prior to buying the E92 M3? Twice?
There goes your argument...

As an owner you're spot on that the car can use ALOT less weight.
It has plenty of torque but not excessive which allows it to put down its power efficiently...unlike the F8X generation.
The combination of intake/exhaust sounds coupled with the lively hydraulic steering makes the car more fun to drive on the street than my GTS, IMHO.
However having just driven the GTS on track, I wouldn't trade it for the world. But having been taken around LRP for hot laps by the chief instructor of the driver's club, one Simon Kirkby, in his E92, I can tell you that the car is VERY capable and I'll never be able to explore all of its potential based on my average driving skills.
Dare I say, the same would apply to you, no offence meant.

Now back to how driving the 991.2 is an awe-inspiring experience...
Old 06-22-2018, 06:11 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
And you knew none of this prior to buying the E92 M3? Twice?
There goes your argument...

As an owner you're spot on that the car can use ALOT less weight.
It has plenty of torque but not excessive which allows it to put down its power efficiently...unlike the F8X generation.
The combination of intake/exhaust sounds coupled with the lively hydraulic steering makes the car more fun to drive on the street than my GTS, IMHO.
However having just driven the GTS on track, I wouldn't trade it for the world. But having been taken around LRP for hot laps by the chief instructor of the driver's club, one Simon Kirkby, in his E92, I can tell you that the car is VERY capable and I'll never be able to explore all of its potential based on my average driving skills.
Dare I say, the same would apply to you, no offence meant.

Now back to how driving the 991.2 is an awe-inspiring experience...
Sounds as if a 997.2 GTS would be a much better fit for you based on your comments in this thread. I am looking right now for a mint cherry 997.2 GTS black or white with factory aero and have been looking for months. There are occasionally a few decent GTS manuals out there. The 997.2 is not as quick, but it is the better driver's car IMO. I love my 991.2 Turbo cab, but it has a specific purpose as my daily driver for comfort and a lot of worry free miles. For fun, hydraulic steering and that true 911 feel . . . the 997.2 GTS is worth a look.

Quick Reply: Drove a 991.2 - wow!