Sponsored by:

Drove a 991.2 - wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:51 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Sounds as if a 997.2 GTS would be a much better fit for you based on your comments in this thread. I am looking right now for a mint cherry 997.2 GTS black or white with factory aero and have been looking for months. There are occasionally a few decent GTS manuals out there. The 997.2 is not as quick, but it is the better driver's car IMO. I love my 991.2 Turbo cab, but it has a specific purpose as my daily driver for comfort and a lot of worry free miles. For fun, hydraulic steering and that true 911 feel . . . the 997.2 GTS is worth a look.
Thanks Doug. I'm walking on thin ice after the M3 "splurge" and done with buying cars for a while. Good luck with your hunt and post pics when you score.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I still really love my X5M. People say it feels more like an M car than the current crop of M cars, and I can believe it. It's actually incredibly fun to drive, and for what it is, it really delivers exactly what it's supposed to. Also, the interior and build quality are superb, they really didn't cut any corners.
Good to hear as my wife likes the X6M (for some odd reason).

Had a 1M and before that a Z4M, loved them both.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:22 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tse

I may link this on bimmerfest...

Finally my chance to say again to the ‘Fest.

Originally Posted by reacher
Yep, the E46 and the E39 would be the ones I would go for. I looked for an E39 as well, but I was a little scared by maintenance on them. I know the newer M3/M4/M5 are faster, but to me they are less special. The interior quality in the 3/4-series has really gone downhill, it's almost embarrassingly bad. The M5 was always a big luxury sedan, but it just looks bland and bloated these days.
AGREEED. I always thought that if I had the space, getting an E39 for 4 digits would be worth it even if it did become a paper weight. It’s that legendary. But maintenance costs put me off as well. Those old Bimmer’s are no joke when it comes to durability, or lack thereof. Then they started soaring in pricing.

The new M5 looks so bland and bloated indeed. And more like a 3 Series than ever.

Originally Posted by Dude174
Having owned an e92, I'd go for a GT350 if you're looking for a good sounding, high revving v8. The E92 is embarrassingly low on torque - plus the S65 engine seems to be hard on main bearings - lots of info on this on m3post.
I do like a soft low-end torque that turns into a high RPM pull (like two characters within one car and the “surprise effect” when revved never gets old to me) but I haven’t had enough seat time in an E92 M3 to really know whether or not I’d long for more torque, personally speaking, especially in normal driving scenarios. But of course if I did perhaps I’d agree with you. I don’t doubt the bearings issues (Sxx BMW motors are commonly problematic it seems).

The GT350 was definitely on my list. That engine is a marvel. But I was a Mustang fanatic in High School and my teens (had a GT) and it always felt like I’d be going “backwards.” Couldn’t get past that. Plus, the 911 presence, interior, quality, bespoke exotic chassis (rear engine, not shared with any volume car, not a billion versions running around looking just like it), etc. just couldn’t be shaken. Also the headroom is terrible for my height. Otherwise I’m a big fan. If I kept my Macan, then I would definitely strongly consider getting the GT350 (so I can at least have “both worlds).. if I could fit.

Originally Posted by StormRune
I found the E46 engine to be quite a blast too... I had one for a while. The e46 M3 was an amazing performance car for its time. Handling from a sports viewpoint was pretty danged tight. However, while the SMG was entertaining when in performance settings it was rather awkward in its less aggressive settings and made normal driving a bit odd. Similarly, the suspension made for great handling on good roads but it was danged harsh on anything else. Between the tranny and the ride comfort my wife got so she didn't want to ride in it much and that contributed to its short life span in my hands, something that hasn't been a problem in the 911s I've had. Overall it still holds an honored spot in my prior stable list.
Oh yeah, E46 M3- only manual for me.

I honestly don’t think BMW will ever top it. It just nailed it when it came out. Those who are sitting on them will be rewarded in due time (already are, and it’ll only continue imo).

Originally Posted by Doug H
Sounds as if a 997.2 GTS would be a much better fit for you based on your comments in this thread. I am looking right now for a mint cherry 997.2 GTS black or white with factory aero and have been looking for months. There are occasionally a few decent GTS manuals out there. The 997.2 is not as quick, but it is the better driver's car IMO. I love my 991.2 Turbo cab, but it has a specific purpose as my daily driver for comfort and a lot of worry free miles. For fun, hydraulic steering and that true 911 feel . . . the 997.2 GTS is worth a look.
997.2 GTS with a stick. Ahh yes. I’ve been drooling over them for some time. It acrually records slower 0-60 and 1/4 times than my .1 base according to mags that tested both, but it’s matterless. I still toy with the idea of that being my next 911 were I to sell mine (which I have absolutely no plans to). With 911’s I keep finding myself wanting to go “backward” as those models increasingly appeal to me. It’s too bad air cooled cars are so vertically cramped for me.. and insanely expensive (which only serves as a testament to their iconicism).
Old 06-23-2018, 01:55 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

No reason arguing. We all know they are all FUN. Although they are different cars. Real different IMO.
Coming from two 991.1 NA/MT cars I decided to try a FI/PDK combo. And going turbo I decided to go turbo. Although for me coming from NA to FI with all the power/torque difference was less of a change than going from 3-pedals MT to the PDK.
I love them both. Different, but both great cars for different reasons.For NA cars I'd go MT only, but that's just me.

We are lucky we still can have a MT in a 991.2s and NA/MT in GT3T and hopefully in upcoming GT4.
I hope even with electrification and what not they won't drop NA/MT options...

And yes, as much as I loved my E39 MT 540, that engine was no your 9A1 NA Porsche flat boxer magic.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:24 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
No reason arguing. We all know they are all FUN. Although they are different cars. Real different IMO.
Coming from two 991.1 NA/MT cars I decided to try a FI/PDK combo. And going turbo I decided to go turbo. Although for me coming from NA to FI with all the power/torque difference was less of a change than going from 3-pedals MT to the PDK.
I love them both. Different, but both great cars for different reasons.For NA cars I'd go MT only, but that's just me.
It was the same for me as well, when I test drove the .2PDK the power/torque difference was simply not a fatctor vs the PDK/three pedal difference I was focusing on.

Quick Reply: Drove a 991.2 - wow!