At the end of the day, nobody "needs" a 991. (
Feel free to speak just for yourself.

Because I need a 911.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:15 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Just out of pure curiousity, for the .2 drivers does it bother you that, even though the .2 is objectively better in every way, in every car that sees you the guy mansplains to his girlfriend, “oh that’s the crappy new one with the smaller engine for the Chinese market”?

Old 06-20-2018, 11:31 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

I have driven a bunch of 991.1 cars. Owned a 981S, and have had some seat time in a family members 997.2 GT3RS. All are great cars.

At least in Carrera T form, the new 991.2 engine felt great. The low end torque just works. In fact I can almost say the base engine felt better than the S.

The S felt more like a turbo motor to me. Including more lag.

I also drive a GT4 the same day and walked away unimpressed with the engine when comparing the differences to my 981S for the cost.

As as much as I appreciate high reving NA engines that make power on the top end, when coupled with silly long gearing it takes away from street driving fun for sure.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:35 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
.......yea, but the sound of a manual whip.......just can’t get that with that sound with a Kitchen Aide!
Old 06-20-2018, 11:46 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Porsche engineers know what they’re doing and if you tell them to do more with less, you know their deliver; but convincing the public might be the greatest challenge, all they hear is less.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:48 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

If anyone is unhappy with their 991.2, and want a even swap to a 997.2 or a 991.1 LMK. I can arrange.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:01 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I love my 991.1 C2S with SPASM and PSE, and am not interested in getting a 991.2, even though, from a short time on track with a T and a GTS, they felt as fast and faster, handle better and sound just fine when busy. The 992 will have to be better yet to get me.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:12 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
If anyone is unhappy with their 991.2, and want a even swap to a 997.2 or a 991.1 LMK. I can arrange.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

The sound discussions are fascinating - I never really think of a Porsche in terms of sound. Sound, I think LFA or Ferrari V12/V8, any Lambo - Porsche sort of middle of the road, some a bit better than others but none blow me away.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:41 AM
freeman727
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
The sound discussions are fascinating - I never really think of a Porsche in terms of sound. Sound, I think LFA or Ferrari V12/V8, any Lambo - Porsche sort of middle of the road, some a bit better than others but none blow me away.
That’s why I’m keeping my E90 M3. I get the high reving V8 engine on the cheap.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:37 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Couldn't agree less. One of top reasons I wanted an N/A 911 was for the sound. That distinctive "chainsaw thrum scream" has been one of my, if simply my favorite car sound since I had to crawl outside to see the nearest 911 (who am I kidding.... I still crawl outside to see the nearest 911 ).

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Same, but it was more than the sound. The .2’s that I drove were without a doubt faster, smoother cars, and a much better DD than the .1 for sure, but they felt too refined to me. The base .2 I drove felt like a 911 Audi would make. But I was still really impressed with the cars. If they sounded better, I might have been tempted but there were too many things about the car that I don’t care for. Personal preference stuff though.

Agreed. Hey, why not just sorta copy the pertaining post I made from the other thread to satisfy my friend Quad up there. :

While I did enjoy the brutal torque of the .2 GTS (I couldn't keep it straight, just too much fun to get sideways [yet it hooks right back up]), my main issues with it were a bit too much turbo lag, lacking any grit or emotion (very plush and serene), and I didn't like the sound much at all (downshifts sounded especially weak, like ***** cat meows to my cars tiger roar). I'd go through tires monthly with that car, too much fun not to fish out. It felt less like a 911 Turbo hammer and more like a velvet fist. Hopping back into my car certainly did feel noticeably slower. But honestly, just revving my car out afterward made me not miss that GTS too much, and we're talking a $150K MSRP car. But I’ll admit it left an impression on me, it’s an excellent car. Very luxurious, comfortable, cozy and powerful.

However, for whatever reason, my test drives in base .2’s left me more underwhelmed than about any test drive I’ve taken. I just didn’t “feel” anything poignant from it (it reminded me of like a shrunken faster version of my Macan). Too smooth and filtered imo, perhaps too good of a "jack of all trades." The fact that the torquey powerband feels familiar is sort of an issue I have: I feel every car has that same powerband nowadays. Reminds me of a more potent version of my N55 Bimmer. Which was a great engine with burnout-friendly torque, but not riveting to me. Getting back into my Chrono/exhaust/HRE/lowered .1 didn't feel that much slower at all. In fact, it was the happiest and most satisfied I'd been to get into my car yet.

We can put numbers on the cars performance differences. Those numbers are what they are and can't be disputed. How cars make us feel is an entirely different statistic, and arguably far more important for any true car enthusiast. And those numbers, naturally will vary widely. As long as we're happy.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:33 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
However, for whatever reason, my test drives in base .2’s left me more underwhelmed than about any test drive I’ve taken. I just didn’t “feel” anything poignant from it (it reminded me of like a shrunken faster version of my Macan). Too smooth and filtered imo, perhaps too good of a "jack of all trades." The fact that the torquey powerband feels familiar is sort of an issue I have: I feel every car has that same powerband nowadays. Reminds me of a more potent version of my N55 Bimmer. Which was a great engine with burnout-friendly torque, but not riveting to me. Getting back into my Chrono/exhaust/HRE/lowered .1 didn't feel that much slower at all. In fact, it was the happiest and most satisfied I'd been to get into my car yet.
This is very similar to how I felt and really enjoyed my drive back home in the .1 base.

Having said that it may very well have been the PDK as I am not used to it and was the focus of my attention.

The power difference was quite noticeable to me and when I take out the MT .2 it may sway me as I don't track my car, only city driving.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:21 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Someone needs to make a 991.1 coping circle thread.

It's like a battle of power where in every thread waves of 991.1 defenders come out of the woodworks trying to feel better about themselves. Some blunt, some passive aggressive, some timid, some sarcastic, and some cheerleaders. Such a sad group.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:30 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
This is very similar to how I felt and really enjoyed my drive back home in the .1 base.

Having said that it may very well have been the PDK as I am not used to it and was the focus of my attention.

The power difference was quite noticeable to me and when I take out the MT .2 it may sway me as I don't track my car, only city driving.
Yeah, PDK alone changes the character drastically. No tracking here either, so some tenths or a few MPH here or there doesn't matter to me much. As long as it feels right (to some, that certainly feels right). Have you driven a base .1 with PDK? If so, how'd the auto aspect affect the characteristic compared to your car? It's nuts to see how many tenths PDK shaves off now, like half a second 1/4 or 0-60 in some instances. Regardless, I still get jealous when I hear an uncorked 911 being manually shifted.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
... defenders come out of the woodworks trying to feel better about themselves. Some blunt, some passive aggressive, some timid, some sarcastic, and some cheerleaders. Such a sad group.
I think you just described every internet forum.

Quick Reply: Drove a 991.2 - wow!