Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Old 06-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
I was very impressed with the quicker throttle response and increased torque.
And this was a base 911! It made my 991.1 Targa feel slow.

Trying not to upgrade now...
I cannot compare base .2 with base .1 but I went from a 991.1S to a 991.1S with Powerkit to a 991.2GTS. The difference between the .1 and the .1 powerkit I could feel. It wasn't much but it was definitely a little quicker.

The first time I opened up the .2GTS, though, OH MY LORD THIS THING IS FAST! Big jump from my 991.1S w/Powerkit.

While the sound is only "really good" compared to "awesome," as soon as I feel my eyeballs pushed into the back of my head when I mash the pedal I tend to forget any sound nuances LOL. This sucker is quick!
Old 06-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

At the end of the day, nobody "needs" a 991. A corolla - God forbid - will take us to work and groceries shopping. You buy a 911 because you are a certified car guy (or a show off, but hopefully not on this board), and you like how they make you feel, and the connection with a platform that drive differently and a huge history. So buy whatever achieves that goal and don't worry about the previous/next model... 356 people were bitching about 911 folks ; -)

The performance of even the lowest spec 991.1 (mine, as it happens) with the handbrake dragging (impossible) is still enough to get you arrested in 2nd gear - ask me, I got pulled over yesterday for just that (and let go - phew!). It' also enough to make we wanna drop a gear in every tunnel I hit and smile like the child I am...

I picked mine as is because I wanted something that sounded good and was involving (manual), but if you want ultimate speed, nothing wrong with PDK and a turbo...I got a PEC LA ride in a turbo S and it was flipping insane... I'm envious of the 991.2 powerband (I drove 2), no shame in admitting that 911s always could use more torque. I'm also envious of PDK when I'm in traffic for an hour. It still sounds ok to me. 718s arent selling well because they sound rather crap, despite being wonderful cars. Torque matters, sound matters, hell involvement matters (witness success of the manual R and touring models). Porsche did a decent job with the 991.2 honestly - I even like the BBQ engine grille now, it could have been more muffled by the turbo but they managed to make it sound decent...

For me it comes down to the realization that now that my track days are dwinding (time, willingness to get up early), ultimate performance ceases to matter (within reason - I still drive a 911). Even my base 991.1 is overkill most of the time. When I want actual goose bumps, I fire up my 1972 MFI injection 911 that screams like a banshee with its tail on fire, while going slower than a modern minivan. The modern cars have become un-exploitable in my area (traffic, bikes, cops). So again, s'all good, buy the car that gives you goosebumps.

In the end if that 25% import tax passes, we're all about to own desirable cars with great resale value either way, until we need to fix them or upgrade ;-(
Old 06-20-2018, 02:04 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Even my base 991.1 is overkill most of the time. When I want actual goose bumps, I fire up my 1972 MFI injection 911 that screams like a banshee with its tail on fire, while going slower than a modern minivan.
This basically sums it up...
Old 06-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=Greg D.;15091705] I fire up my 1972 MFI injection 911 that screams like a banshee with its tail on fire, while going slower than a modern minivan. The modern cars have become un-exploitable in my area (traffic, bikes, cops). So again, s'all good, buy the car that gives you goosebumps. QUOTE]

I want one of those!
Old 06-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

At the end of the day, nobody "needs" a 991. A corolla - God forbid - will take us to work and groceries shopping. You buy a 911 because you are a certified car guy (or a show off, but hopefully not on this board), and you like how they make you feel, and the connection with a platform that drive differently and a huge history. So buy whatever achieves that goal and don't worry about the previous/next model... 356 people were bitching about 911 folks ; -)

The performance of even the lowest spec 991.1 (mine, as it happens) with the handbrake dragging (impossible) is still enough to get you arrested in 2nd gear - ask me, I got pulled over yesterday for just that (and let go - phew!). It' also enough to make we wanna drop a gear in every tunnel I hit and smile like the child I am...

I picked mine as is because I wanted something that sounded good and was involving (manual), but if you want ultimate speed, nothing wrong with PDK and a turbo...I got a PEC LA ride in a turbo S and it was flipping insane... I'm envious of the 991.2 powerband (I drove 2), no shame in admitting that 911s always could use more torque. I'm also envious of PDK when I'm in traffic for an hour. It still sounds ok to me. 718s arent selling well because they sound rather crap, despite being wonderful cars. Torque matters, sound matters, hell involvement matters (witness success of the manual R and touring models). Porsche did a decent job with the 991.2 honestly - I even like the BBQ engine grille now, it could have been more muffled by the turbo but they managed to make it sound decent...

For me it comes down to the realization that now that my track days are dwinding (time, willingness to get up early), ultimate performance ceases to matter (within reason - I still drive a 911). Even my base 991.1 is overkill most of the time. When I want actual goose bumps, I fire up my 1972 MFI injection 911 that screams like a banshee with its tail on fire, while going slower than a modern minivan. The modern cars have become un-exploitable in my area (traffic, bikes, cops). So again, s'all good, buy the car that gives you goosebumps.

In the end if that 25% import tax passes, we're all about to own desirable cars with great resale value either way, until we need to fix them or upgrade ;-(
Great post!
Old 06-20-2018, 02:28 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
If Porsche had been so enamored with the FI engine, why didn't they just turbocharge the entire 911 line back in 1974 when they introduced the turbo? Porsche pushed the limits with the flat six NA engine in the 991.1's 3.8 L and in the 991.2's 4.0 L. As others have said in other threads, in order for Porsche to increase the power of the NA engine going forward, it would have to add cylinders - make it a V8 or a V10, for instance - which would be heresy in a 911. Not only would it add weight, it would be even worse from an emissions standpoint. Given the tightening regulations - particularly in the EU - Porsche's hand was forced to dump the NA engine from the Carrera line even though in real-world driving situations, the FI engine is not necessarily any more "green" than its NA counterpart. Fortunately, Porsche has also mastered engineering of the FI flat six since the mid-70's, so it was not hard for them to produce fantastic FI engines for the 991.2 Carrera line. Like it or not, FI is the new standard bearer in the 911, notwithstanding the GT division (and depending on what you read and who you believe, even that may change sooner rather than later).
+991. To respond to your question of why they didn't go FI in 1974, recall turbo tech, engine controls and manufacturing tolerances weren't as developed as today. Costs too. There was still a ways to go with valvetrain tech, fuel injection and engine design to improve output. So they really didn't need turbos across the whole product line.

Originally Posted by tse
True.

The inner me is telling me to get both.

The better half is telling me to sleep on the couch if I do.
A man has to do, what a man has to do...a temporary couch exile in the end would be so worth it. Happened to me, but i got a suspended sentence.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:15 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The 991.2 is a really fantastic car.

The additional low-end torque makes it a really nice DD, and a much better one than the 991.1

For those who say the 991.1 sounds better. I suppose the 991.1 sounds different, for sure, but better? That's a personal opinion, but I for one have never thought of the 9A1 or really any Porsche flat-6 to sound all that great.

GT3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6X8...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-20-2018, 03:54 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

but I for one have never thought of the 9A1 or really any Porsche flat-6 to sound all that great.
Some Porsche's sound good in their own right. I sort of feel like a Porsche should sound, well, like a Porsche. A Ferrari like a Ferrari, and so on and so forth.

If I had to pick my own personal favorite engine sound track, it would be big block and built in the 60's.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:09 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

GREAT post!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:20 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
A man has to do, what a man has to do...a temporary couch exile in the end would be so worth it. Happened to me, but i got a suspended sentence.
I can guarantee you your definition of "temporary" and my wife's differ greatly...
Old 06-20-2018, 09:39 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Just out of pure curiousity, for the .2 drivers does it bother you that, even though the .2 is objectively better in every way, in every car that sees you the guy mansplains to his girlfriend, “oh that’s the crappy new one with the smaller engine for the Chinese market”?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:58 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Just out of pure curiousity, for the .2 drivers does it bother you that, even though the .2 is objectively better in every way, in every car that sees you the guy mansplains to his girlfriend, “oh that’s the crappy new one with the smaller engine for the Chinese market”?

Its probably the same guy that’s convinced his girlfriend that a short stick is better than a long one! All is good until she experiences the better ride😜
Old 06-20-2018, 11:00 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator

Said as the .2 passes by and disappears ahead.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Sorry, but that sounds like ****.

And to top it off, that car no longer sounds like a GT3.

Quick Reply: Drove a 991.2 - wow!